X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

The Winkies (1975)

The Winkies are a 1970s British band lead by Philip Rambow. Philip's wife and my wife are best friends. Today Philip turns 60 years old and he's celebrating by playing a reunion concert at a pub in London. Sadly I wont be there as I live 12,000 miles away. However I have been playing Philip's album which is remarkably good for a band that no-one has heard of.

Here's what the reviewer from Amazon.com has to say about The Winkies:

Of all the songwriters & performers who were thrown into the spotlight during the early to mid-'70s, yet never attained more than a modicum of mainstream success, few proved as accomplished as Philip Rambow. Author of such modern classics as 'Night Out' & 'Young Lust' (for Ellen Foley) & 'There's a Guy Works Down the Chip Shop Swears He's Elvis' with Kirsty MacColl, Rambow himself also emerged as a major player on two of the most important underground scenes of the era, the British pub rock boom of the early to mid-'70s & near-concurrent the New York proto-punk explosion. His group, the Winkies, meanwhile, were integral to Brian Eno's plans following his departure from Roxy Music, while the band's own recordings so expertly straddle the preoccupations of the time that it would be no exaggeration to describe them as one of '70s rock's greatest lost opportunities. They really were that good.

Nigel.
    Attached Files

Comment

• wkhanna
      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

Hey Nigel,

What a shame you could not be a part of what I am sure would be an event of a lifetime.
      Take solace in the fact the woman in your life displays a knack for associating herself with creative, thoughtful and special people (your self obviously included).

Sadly, my search of the CD has come up with a best price of $75. Do you have any other leads or suggestions?
      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Johnloudb
        Super Senior Member
        • May 2007

Heather Nova, The Jasmine Flower

This album is a Beautiful Woman (no reference to her appearance) pouring her heart and soul into beautiful music that she wrote. The songs are mostly accompanied by her guitar playing. So, this is different from her early pop/rock music like that in Siren. It's similar in styling to Joan Baez's album Diamonds and Rust which I really like as well. But, this is more introspective and personal. I really like cuts 7 "Looking for the light" and 8 "Hollow." Beautiful describes it best.

You can get this cheaper $22.00 from the MovieMars reseller, like I did, here:

If you buy directly from amazon, you have to buy the import which is more expensive. This one is on the Sony/BMG Label and the sonics are superb! So, I can't comment on the sonics of the imports.

Attached Files
        John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• Isaac
          • Jan 2006

Transformers - The Score

Transformers - The Score

This is an amazing score composed by Steve Jablonsky. Track # 7 (Bumblebee) starts off soft and ends loud & powerful. Track #10 (Scorponok) has some deep bass notes. Track #17 (You're A Soldier Now) is full of action. Most of the score has the same theme through out but, different variations. This is a workout for your system.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Isaac; 11 October 2009, 19:22 Sunday.

Comment

• Isaac
            • Jan 2006

Michael Jackson - Dangerous

Michael Jackson - Dangerous

Attached Files

Comment

• greenhorn
              • Feb 2007

Leon Russell - Hank Wilson's Back

A bit of a musical chamelion with a lower profile and eccentric recording career. I enjoy listen to him and a variety of his styles as a performer who does what he likes, how he likes.

Comment

• Brandon B
                Super Senior Member
                • Jun 2001

Jumped through the Beatles Mono boxed set Friday. Was a little whelmed compared to what I expected. The older material impressed me a bit more, but the newer selections like the White Album just didn't sound as good as I thought they would.

Maybe because I am comparing more to my old British LPs that I usually listen to rather than the 80s CDs.

Anyone else get these and not quite as impressed as they thought they would be?

Comment

• bigburner
                  Super Senior Member
                  • May 2005

The Gene Harris Quartet - Listen Here! (2003)

I don't listen to much jazz but this 1989 album, which was kindly sent to me by a friend, is very approachable music - sort of jazz meets swing. Gene Harris is a top notch pianist and his fellow musicians are in the same league. All ten tracks are good but track 4 - the album's title track "Listen Here!" - is superb and encouraged me to give the volume knob a large clockwise turn. This revealed a recording of excellent quality. No need to touch the dreaded tone controls on this one!

Nigel.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• wkhanna
                    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by bigburner
                    The Gene Harris Quartet - Listen Here! (2003)
                    :W

Ummm......Jazz....... :yesnod:

Gene honed his blues-like, soulful, high energy, get-up-off-your-bootie-and-shake-it style as a gospel musician. He did far too little recording, and I highly recommend any in which he was involved.
                    wiki discography
                    _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• bigburner
                      Super Senior Member
                      • May 2005

Originally posted by wkhanna
                      He did far too little recording, and I highly recommend any in which he was involved.
                      wiki discography
                      This list looks more impressive: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...ifuxqt5ldse~T2

Nigel.

Comment

• wkhanna
                        • Jan 2006

As usual, you are all over it ā€˜like white on riceā€™, Nigel.

Thanks for the link!
                        _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• bigburner
                          Super Senior Member
                          • May 2005

Bill, inspired by The Gene Harris Quartet I watched the Willie Nelson & Wynton Marsalis "Live from Jazz at Lincoln Center New York City" DVD (2008 ) earlier this evening. Wynton and his band are such excellent musicians. By the time that one finished the Chardonnay had kicked in so I watched the new Joe Bonamassa DVD (again). It's still stunning. Then it was onto the Jools Holland show on TV (Carla Bruni was interesting) followed by the Freddie Mercury bio (what a star) and then the Ray Davies bio (great songwriter). It's time I went to bed.

Someone out there tell me you have music festival evenings like this. Please.

Nigel.

Comment

• wkhanna
                            • Jan 2006

At least once every two weeks on a work-night, the next morning I'm treated to the ā€˜what the hell time did you come to bed?ā€™ from the SWMBO (she who must be obeyed). It just happens...... like a shaymin being called to hold forth by the forces of the other-world.

Fortunately, the SWMBO, having been raised in a family of musicians, will sleep through anything I queue up at 2:30 AM at 75 dB (but will wake immediately the moment she hears the commercial for ā€˜Girls Gone Wildā€™ as it plays over the system at 45 Db at 11:30 AM after I have fallen asleep on the couch way earlier while watching ā€˜South Parkā€™ on the Comedy Channel).

When the ā€˜callā€™ does come for the ritualistic pursuit, it prefers the accompaniment of well behaved product of the vine, or a nice jigger or three of Campari with a splash of soda and fresh lime. But the logging of years has made the lust of sweet peat rendered single-malts a no-no on a weeknight for this curmudgeon-in-training.

Itā€™s all good, Nigel. Our passions mature as do we.
                            Last edited by wkhanna; 06 November 2009, 17:41 Friday.
                            _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Chris D
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Dec 2000

Trans Siberian Orchestra has released their newest album, "Night Castle". Pretty good! Can't really top their original albums, though.
                              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                              - Pleasantville

Comment

• HDBLU
                                • Jul 2008

is Trans Siberian Orchestra heavy metal it looks very interesting.
                                2ch Setup
                                Krix Neupohonix
                                Musical Fidelity M6i
                                Musical Fidelity M6CDP
                                Denon DCD-1510 SACD Player

Cables I Use
                                MIT

Comment

• Chris D
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Dec 2000

For anyone that hasn't heard of Trans Siberian Orchestra, I do HIGHLY recommend the group. The got their start with three Christmas albums, each one a "rock opera", with many of the songs being traditional Christmas songs re-made with progressive-to-hard rock. Some of the arrangements are literally sheer genius.

Even for those that don't like hard rock, TSO is very enjoyable. (both my parents love them, too) I've seen them twice in concert, and they're great. The two most recent albums are based on other works like Mozart and Carmina Burana. Also very good, but I don't enjoy them quite as much as the originals.
                                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Dec 2000

I have an old thread about TSO in the "In Tune" section here in HT Guide. A search should turn it up for anyone interested.
                                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Isaac
                                      • Jan 2006

LADY GAGA - The Fame

LADY GAGA - The Fame

Attached Files
                                      Last edited by Isaac; 26 December 2009, 17:16 Saturday.

Comment

• Chris D
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Dec 2000

Here's the other thread about Trans-Siberian Orchestra that I mentioned. Highly recommended for anyone that hasn't heard of them.
                                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Hammie
                                          • Oct 2005

Panasonic TC-P65VT30
                                          Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
                                          Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
                                          Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
                                          B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
                                          Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
                                          My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
                                          Next Upgrade: Cables

Comment

• Chris D
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Dec 2000

Ah yes... I bought that Heart album about 2 years ago, after Carrie Underwood sang "Alone" on American Idol. It's been great to remember how much fantastic music Heart made. What a voice.
                                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• legion1capone
                                              • Oct 2008

I'm listening to Susan Boyles "Wild Horses". It has to be one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. Her voice is amazing and could bring a man to tears if I do say so myself. I can't wait for her cd to come out on monday. It has already broken the pre order sales of any cd ever produced!

Comment

• Hammie
                                                • Oct 2005

Went to the library and picked up a bunch of CD's.

Currently listening to:

Panasonic TC-P65VT30
                                                Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
                                                Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
                                                Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
                                                B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
                                                Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
                                                My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
                                                Next Upgrade: Cables

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
                                                  • Dec 2006

Imelda May.

I say again, Imelda May.

If you like jazz, you will like her. If you like rockabilly, you will like her. If you like 50's rock, you will like her.

Imelda May.

Imelda

May.
                                                  Hello, my name is Eric and I am a music addict.

Comment

• Alloroc
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Dec 2005

Imelda May grew up around the corner from my office here in Dublin. Seen her live loads of times and she's pretty much awesome.
                                                    Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
                                                      • Dec 2006

High five.

Comment

• bigburner
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • May 2005

Jen Cloher & The Endless Sea - "Hidden Hands" (2009)
                                                        Attached Files

Comment

• SadSACD
                                                          • Dec 2009

Blues

Chris Whitley...Hotel Vast Horizon

Comment

• Alloroc
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Dec 2005

Cafe Tacuba - Sino.

Deemed Mexico's pre-eminent rock band, I came accross this band from their song used in the PS3 game Little Big Planet (I am not at all embarassed to admit that!). It good stuff.

Vincent.

Comment

• bigburner
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • May 2005

Originally posted by Thelonious Funk
                                                              Imelda May.
                                                              Got it, listened to it, loved it.

Nigel.
                                                              Attached Files

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
                                                                • Dec 2006

Yay Team!

Comment

• Alloroc
                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                  • Dec 2005

This.... on SACD.

Vincent.

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Dec 2006

Oh that's a must have!

Comment

• june
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Feb 2005

Oli Slick, Marcus Johnson, Johnathan Fritzen, Gregg Karukas & Chris Geith
                                                                      in a mood for some smooth piano!!!! I have the 5-dics Rotel on random :T
                                                                      June
                                                                      "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

• numberoneoppa
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Sep 2009

Jewelry - Sophisticated.

Korean pop - obviously an acquired taste.

edit: now I'm listening to:

손담비 (Son Dambi) - The Second Mini Album
                                                                        -Josh

That feeling when things are finally going right. Yeah, that one.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                          • Jan 2006
                                                                          • 16075

Emilie-Claire Barlow - Winter Wonderland

Canadian Jazz Singer with an amazing voice. This is her Christmas album.

Comment

• wettou
                                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                                            • May 2006
                                                                            • 3389

Mylene Farmer :T
                                                                            Attached Files
                                                                            Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• bigburner
                                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                                              • May 2005
                                                                              • 2649

Originally posted by wettou
                                                                              Mylene Farmer :T
                                                                              Hmmm, nice pants...

Nigel.
                                                                              Attached Files

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                                                                Moderator
                                                                                • Sep 2001
                                                                                • 3161

You can't judge a CD (just) by its cover. :>)

Concerti Virtuosi performed by Tafelmusik Baroque Orchestra

Delightful performances of baroque masterpieces by Antonio Vivaldi, Leonardo Leo, Johann Sebastian Bach, Pietro Locatelli, Johann Friedrich Fasch, and George Frederic Handel.
                                                                                I bought it for Leo's Concerto in D Minor for Violincello, and have been pleasantly surprised at how fresh and vigorous the performances are of the other selections.

This is a Canadian production (which means it was an "import" here in Houston), and it is first class all the way, from outstanding performances by the skilled ensemble
                                                                                to the exquisite sound on the Analekta CD recorded in Toronto.

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                                  • May 2007
                                                                                  • 1877

Originally posted by Burke Strickland
                                                                                  You can't judge a CD (just) by its cover. :>)

Concerti Virtuosi performed by Tafelmusik Baroque Orchestra
                                                                                  I don't know. That looks bit is a bit risque :W but I may try it given your recommendation.
                                                                                  John unk:

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                                    • May 2007
                                                                                    • 1877

Originally posted by Alloroc
                                                                                    This.... on SACD.

I bought this on your recommend, Thanks. Really nice. Sad story though about Nick Drake's life.
                                                                                    John unk:

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                                      Mad Max Moderator
                                                                                      • Aug 2000
                                                                                      • 15271

for you Return to Forever fans

This is the disk to have....

"The Anthology"

Re-mixed, remastered, two disks.

This is the disk I've been waiting for...
                                                                                      the AudioWorx
                                                                                      Natalie P
                                                                                      M8ta
                                                                                      Modula Neo DCC
                                                                                      Modula MT XE
                                                                                      Modula Xtreme
                                                                                      Isiris
                                                                                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                                      Minerva Monitor
                                                                                      Calliope
                                                                                      Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                                      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                                                                                      Obi-Wan
                                                                                      Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                                                                                      Modula PWB
                                                                                      Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                                      Natalie P Ultra
                                                                                      Natalie P Supreme
                                                                                      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                                                                                      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• bigburner
                                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                                        • May 2005
                                                                                        • 2649

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                                                                                        This is the disk to have....

"The Anthology"

Re-mixed, remastered, two disks.

This is the disk I've been waiting for...
                                                                                        JonMarsh, that's all the encouragement I need to press the order button on this one:

Return to Forever - "Live at Montreux 2008" (2009)

This DVD has appeared on a lot of Top 10 lists for 2009 so I don't know why I have waited so long.

OK, it's not recorded in the mid 70s, and they're not as young as they used to be, but...

Nigel.
                                                                                        Attached Files

Comment

• Isaac
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Jan 2006
                                                                                          • 151

Love In The Time of Cholera soundtrack

Love In The Time of Cholera soundtrack

Attached Files

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                                            • May 2007
                                                                                            • 1877

Heather Nova - Wonderlust

Some really nice stuff on this.
                                                                                            Attached Files
                                                                                            John unk:

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"