What CD are you listening to right now?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hammie
    • Oct 2005

I've been addicted to Speed Caravan lately.

Panasonic TC-P65VT30
    Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
    Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
    Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
    B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
    Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
    My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
    Next Upgrade: Cables

Comment

• Isaac
      • Jan 2006

Anjulie

Anjulie

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/frUK4gwJeF0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/frUK4gwJeF0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]
      Attached Files

Comment

• Isaac
        • Jan 2006

Norah Jones - THE FALL

Norah Jones - THE FALL

REMASTERED IN HD! UP TO 4K!!Official Music Video for Chasing Pirates performed by Norah Jones.See Norah live: http://www.norahjones.com/tourFollow Norah Inst...
        Attached Files

Comment

• gimpy
          • Sep 2004

Isaac, how do like it? I have the "Not too Late" album and did not really care for it too much, although I still listen to it once in a while.

Comment

• bigburner
            Super Senior Member
            • May 2005

Cross Canadian Ragweed - "Happiness and All The Other Things" (2009)

I'm not fussed about some of their earlier music but overall this is a pretty good album that will get a number of plays in my house.

Nigel.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Alloroc
              Super Senior Member
              • Dec 2005

This probably gets my album of the year award. It's brilliant.

Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• scarpi
                • Jul 2008

If you like jazz and acoustic bass try Brian Bromberg. He plays a 300 year old bass and I would recommend Wood, Wood Two, and Downright Upright. He also plays electric bass and you might like It is what it is. Enjoy! :T

Comment

• aprilia88
                  • Oct 2006

The new Vampire Weekend (contra). Happy sounds make me happy.

Comment

• clubdye_048
                    • Jan 2010

From a newcomer here....hell I'm trying to get rid of my cds,
                    I'm tired of ear fatigue they produce. No, there's nothing wrong with my playback system. :roll:

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
                      • Dec 2006

Good for you.
                      Hello, my name is Eric and I am a music addict.

Comment

• sunshdw
                        • Sep 2008

Just finished the 200gram Satchamo plays King Oliver/Louis Armstrong

very cool
                        Magnepan,ARC,VTL,Transparent Audio ;x(

"The term "audiophile" means essentially nothing -- it's a self-anointed status that entails no credentials, qualifications or certifications. It means "hobbyist," nothing more, and anyone can lay claim to it. Ironically, I've come to recognize that "audiophiles" represent a group that will believe almost anything"

Comment

• bigburner
                          Super Senior Member
                          • May 2005

Originally posted by Alloroc
                          This probably gets my album of the year award. It's brilliant.

Good call. That boy is a star.

You heard it here first folks, on the HTGuide Forum.

Nigel.

Comment

• cobblepots
                            • May 2008

I'm really enjoying Citizen Copr's Clarence greenwood recordings. His voice is a bit different but man does it sounds good on my statements!

Comment

• wkhanna
                              Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2006

I have all his stuff & some promo CD's, too.
                              Saw him in concert here in Pittsburgh about two years ago in a small church turned nightclub. Great show with the full band. He plays solo accoustic gigs in a small 120 seat club here often, too.
                              _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                              ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Jan 2006

Janis Siegel - "Friday Night Special" (2003)

Biography: Nationality - American. Born - Jul 23 1952.
                                Vocalist Janis Siegel had been a member of the the Manhattan Transfer since 1972, she has also built a successful solo career since 1982. Siegel's first album as a leader, Experiment in White established her solo credentials, while the follow-up, At Home, earned a Grammy nomination in 1987 for Best Female Jazz Vocal. Siegel began the first of several collaborations with pianist/composer Fred Hersch on 1989's Short Stories. The duo relied less on standards and concentrated instead on modern pop songs by singer songwriters including Joni Mitchell, Judy Collins, Marvin Gaye and James Taylor. By 1994's Slow Hot Winds and the Tender Trap from 1999, Siegel had developed an eclectic showcase that blended several decades of popular songs. In 2000 Siegel signed with the Telarc label and released I Wish You Love in 2002 and Friday Night Special in 2003. Both discs feature contributions from top jazz musicians including Joey De Francesco, Houston Person, David Fathead Newman, Tom Harrell and Cedar Walton. She followed up these successes with an 2004 album, (Sketches of Broadway,) that featured her interpretations of lesser-known show tunes. All the while she remained a vital member of the Manhattan Transfer. A Thousand Beautiful Things from 2006 was a ambitious collection of modern pop songs arranged in an assortment of Latin styles. ~ Ron Wynn & Al Campbell, All Music Guide.

Friday Night Special: This 10-song set is aptly-titled, as her singing is accompanied by a quartet anchored by a Hammond organ (played by Joey DeFrancesco) with material that glides easily between jazz and sophisticated pop. The songs draw from a couple generations of writers, from Rodgers & Hart, Cy Coleman and Harold Arlen, to Bill Withers. Siegel's mellifluous voice is nicely matched with the counterpoint solos of tenor saxophonist Houston Person, making for a classic combo-and-vocalist album that breathes with the very real interplay of all involved. Producer Joel Dorn created a believable sonic setting that is at once warm and unobtrusive, capturing the intimacy of a live setting with the clarity of a studio. --David Greenberger

Comment

• bigburner
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • May 2005

Jimi Hendrix - "Valleys of Neptune" (2010)

Jimi Hendrix died nearly 40 years ago so how in hell have they managed to release this brand-new album featuring 12 previously unreleased studio recordings totalling over 60 minutes of unheard music?

Who cares? They have and you should buy it because it's very, very good.

Nigel.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

• r100gs
                                    • May 2005

I've been neglecting my cd collection since I've purchased a turntable. I found this cd in the back collecting some dust, so I fired it up. Brian Hughes "Along the Way" Great recording if your into smooth jazz. HDCD also.
                                    Attached Files
                                    Jay

Comment

• Isaac
                                      • Jan 2006

ZZ Top - Rancho Texicano

ZZ Top - Rancho Texicano

Attached Files

Comment

• David Meek
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by bigburner
                                        Jimi Hendrix - "Valleys of Neptune" (2010)

Jimi Hendrix died nearly 40 years ago so how in hell have they managed to release this brand-new album featuring 12 previously unreleased studio recordings totalling over 60 minutes of unheard music?

Who cares? They have and you should buy it because it's very, very good.
                                        Nigel, there was a recent article in Stereophile (the April edition, I think) about this release. Evidently, Jimi was prolifically writing and performing in the studio for the years between Electric Ladyland and the time of his death. Happily for all of us Hendrix fans there is a large amount of unreleased music still in the vault. The group's (family run IIRC) plan is to slowly release the music over a period of years.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• David Meek
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Aug 2000

Isaac, if you like Rancho Texicano, let me recommend Chrome, Smoke & BBQ: The ZZ Top Box Set. It's a 70+ song compilation of the band's Warner years from their first album through Recycler. Yeah baby! ;x(

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • May 2007

Lucinda Williams is something special. I usually don't care much for most country music as it has become more like pop music. But, Lucinda is different ... her music has bite and originality and a real country style. It's somewhat of dark album, but I like that aspect as well. This is also one the best recordings I have, especially since we now have a player that can take advantage of the HDCD encoding. Can't really say I've heard better on SACD.

Attached Files
                                            John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• bigburner
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • May 2005

Originally posted by Johnloudb
                                              Lucinda Williams is something special. I usually don't care much for most country music as it has become more like pop music. But, Lucinda is different ... her music has bite and originality and a real country style. It's somewhat of dark album, but I like that aspect as well. This is also one the best recordings I have, especially since we now have a player that can take advantage of the HDCD encoding. Can't really say I've heard better on SACD.
                                              Hi John,

I don't have this album but I know the title song (which I love) and I'm a big fan of Lucinda Williams...

... so you'll understand when I post this review that I found on Amazon. I'm not saying I agree, because I don't know the album, but it is an amusing critique.

"This is the most overinflated piece of crap I have ever heard in my life. Lucinda Williams needs to go ahead and take her one hit wonder from Car Wheels on a Gravel Road for what it was and leave our ears alone. Where are those supposed "brilliant" lyrics? "I saw you throwing up when your stomach hurt"? Come on. I've heard better lyrics from Britney Spears. Instead of emoting art, she is trying to rap when she gets too lazy to sing, and then intermittently moaning and screeching until you either turn it off or she runs out of gas. She's a little too good at playing the drunken old woman terminally left at a bar by a string of men who had the good sense to finally get away. Follow their lead if you know what's good for you."

I'll probably love it!

Nigel.

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • May 2007

Yeah that is a funny review, and I can see it from his perspective, but clearly I don't agree. I couldn't find that review on amazon.com in the states so you must get different reviews at the amazon.com in New Zeland. The reviews posted here were all very positive.

I also came across another Import version for $23.00 on a different label (Universal Int'l). The one I have is on the Lost Highway label, so if you buy it, try to get that one if possible. The import pressing might be good quality as well, but obviously I don't know.

EDIT: Correction! I just did see that review and a 143 others when I looked at the Lost Highway version of that disc. Just mistakenly pulled up the import version last time.
                                                Last edited by Johnloudb; 11 May 2010, 18:20 Tuesday.
                                                John unk:

Comment

• Isaac
                                                  • Jan 2006

Barenaked Ladies - Gordon

Barenaked Ladies - Gordon

Recommend Track #4 Brian Wilson and Track #14 If I had $1000000
                                                  Attached Files
                                                  Last edited by Isaac; 14 May 2010, 03:52 Friday.

Comment

• bigburner
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • May 2005

I couldn't find that review on amazon.com in the states so you must get different reviews at the amazon.com in New Zeland. The reviews posted here were all very positive.

I hope that you can see this John otherwise it will confirm my fears that you live under a regime that favours censorship!

Nigel.

Comment

• bigburner
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • May 2005

Jeff Beck - "Emotion & Commotion" (2010)

Simply amazing. Jeff Beck with strings and orchestra doing covers. Total respect Mr Beck.

Nigel.
                                                      Attached Files

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • May 2007

http://www.amazon.com/World-Without-...DateDescending

I hope that you can see this John otherwise it will confirm my fears that you live under a regime that favours censorship!

Nigel.
                                                        Hi Nigel, no censorship here, just my mistake. As I tried to explain I accidentally pulled up this import version of "World Without Tears" with only 4 reviews, all positive - I didn't know there were two versions.

Lucinda Import

She actually does some rap on one of the last cuts, I liked it though. If you got the CD, let us know what you think, I'm interested in your take on it, good or bad.
                                                        John unk:

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • May 2007

Jeff Beck - "Emotion & Commotion" (2010)

Simply amazing. Jeff Beck with strings and orchestra doing covers. Total respect Mr Beck.

Nigel.
                                                          Really glad you liked that. I was really curious if you had heard that, and was about to ask you in the Music DVD thread. I wasn't sure about the album after reading this review amazon:

:B No, it really had me doubting. These amazon reviewers cause a lot of trouble. But I trust your take on it above all others. Thanks, for posting that.
                                                          John unk:

Comment

• bigburner
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • May 2005

Really glad you liked that. I was really curious if you had heard that, and was about to ask you in the Music DVD thread. I wasn't sure about the album after reading this review amazon:

:B No, it really had me doubting. These amazon reviewers cause a lot of trouble. But I trust your take on it above all others. Thanks, for posting that.
                                                            Well John, I listened to it again last night, sitting in the sweet spot with the volume turned up.

There's overwhelming commotion in "Hammerhead" and heaps of emotion in "I Put a Spell on You" which is sung by Joss Stone. I heard a recent interview with Jeff Beck on the radio. He said that he was standing three feet away from Joss when they recorded that song and every muscle and sinew in her body was engaged. I agree. To me there's a lot of passion.

I can understand why some Jeff Beck fans don't like this album. It's by far the most approachable album that he has released. If you're looking for a guitar blitz only then this isn't the album for you.

An admirable quality of Jeff Beck's is that he does what he wants to do musically and isn't influenced by fads, trends or expectations. This album, with its strings and orchestral arrangements, is evidence of that.

Can you tell that I really like it?

Nigel.

Comment

• Isaac
                                                              • Jan 2006

Janelle Monae - The ArchAndroid

Janelle Monae - The ArchAndroid

Attached Files

Comment

• audioqueso
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Isaac
                                                                Norah Jones - THE FALL

Whoooaaa... I didn't even know she had a new album. I just listened to it last night. Definitely buying this tomorrow! :B :B :B I'm excited.
                                                                B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                  • Dec 2000

Oh, I didn't know there was a new Norah Jones, either! Will go check it out.
                                                                  CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                                                  - Pleasantville

Comment

• bigburner
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • May 2005

Peter Karp & Sue Foley - "He Said She Said" (2010)

Peter Karp and Sue Foley - both accomplished musicians - built a friendship via letters and email. Later they realized that their letters and emails were the basis for some great songs because they had real meaning, so they decided to put an album together. This is that album and a damn fine album it is too.

Nigel.
                                                                    Attached Files

Comment

• Isaac
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Jan 2006

Rodrigo y Gabriela - 11:11

Rodrigo y Gabriela - 11:11

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QgbVdA_xWVU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QgbVdA_xWVU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Attached Files

Comment

• Alloroc
                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                        • Dec 2005

New Irish music.

Villagers - Becoming a Jackal.

It's perhaps the best thing to come from here in quite a long time.

Watch this performance on Later with Jools and you'll see what I mean....

[YOUTUBE]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/S3sBblnrGik&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/S3sBblnrGik&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]
                                                                        Vincent.

Comment

• Alloroc
                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                          • Dec 2005
                                                                          • 2580

Listening to more new Irish music....

....the new album from Divine Comedy - "Bang Goes The Knighthood".

Vincent.

Comment

• 2gumby2
                                                                            Junior Member
                                                                            • Jun 2010
                                                                            • 21

Slipknot. Unfortunately, their bassist died recently.

Comment

• Isaac
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Jan 2006
                                                                              • 151

Christina Aguilera - Bionic

You Lost Me

Attached Files

Comment

• peterselby7
                                                                                Junior Member
                                                                                • Jun 2010
                                                                                • 3

Pink Floyd - the final cut. I love the way this album was recorded.
                                                                                My Dream HDTV

Comment

• David Meek
                                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                  • Aug 2000
                                                                                  • 8938

Alter Bridge - Blackbird

Creed without Stapp. A little heavier. A little more melodic. A little more accoustic. A lot better experience.
                                                                                  .

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                    • Dec 2000
                                                                                    • 16877

Yeah, that one's surprisingly good. I really liked Creed, and I like Alter Bridge. Different sound, also good.
                                                                                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• deewan
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Feb 2009
                                                                                      • 284

Adele - 19

There are some great tracks and those tracks are very well recorded. But there are also a few tracks that I need to listen to on another setup other than the one I have in my living room. I hear some notes where I am not sure if it is my drivers, crossover design, audio equipment, or recording that are a little off. But regardless, I recommend the album with two thumbs up.

Track 9 "Make you feel my Love" is worth the price of admission all by itself.
                                                                                      The Old Woods Theater
                                                                                      My Various Speaker Builds
                                                                                      Statement II Remix build

"Aren't you a little short for a Stormtrooper?"

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                        • Dec 2000
                                                                                        • 16877

I recently heard some Bob Dylan, and thought, "I need to get some of his songs--I don't own any of his stuff." My standard practice when I recognize this with artists, is that I'll go to iTunes and Amazon, and peruse their work. I'll check out the songs I know, and sample some that I don't recognize, to see if some of their more popular stuff might be something I recognize when I hear it, and then want to get. If there's only 2-3 songs that I like, I'll just buy them individually from iTunes. If there's more, and I can find them on a "greatest hits" album or such, I'll get the whole album and then rip it for my iPod. I get better quality that way, too.

ANYWAY... Dylan was prior to my generation, so I didn't know his stuff like I know modern well-known artists. As I perused his work, I kept thinking "Yeah, I want that song!" and, "Wow, I love that song! I didn't know he sang that!"

Those "more seasoned" people here may think that I'm just not in-the-know, but for example, I've heard "Lay Lady Lay" many times in my life, but I had no idea that Bob Dylan sang it. Other classics like "Blowin' In the Wind" I knew were his, of course. So I got this album, which is 3 discs (2 and a half, really) of his best stuff. WOW. This guy is AWESOME! If I had been alive for his earlier work, and older for his later work, I think I would have been a HUGE Dylan fan. I don't find his voice anything great, but the songs are very melodic and beautiful, and he is so poetic. And I had no idea that he did so many songs that have been redone by other artists, either.

Thoroughly enjoying this purchase, and one of the best I've made for a long time.
                                                                                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                          • Dec 2000
                                                                                          • 16877

Just bought this cheap from Amazon, and giving it a listen. it's surprisingly quite fun, packed full of great songs I didn't have in my iTunes library, and that take me back to my youth. Good stuff.
                                                                                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                            • Dec 2000
                                                                                            • 16877

More appreciation of music greats of the last 50 years. I had no idea that the same guy that did "Brown Eyed Girl" (which I just associated with "oldies") was the same guy to do others like "Comfortably Numb", "Have I Told You Lately?", and "Days Like This". This is pretty much a greatest hits album, and is very good. Just bought these and more from Amazon.
                                                                                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            😀
                                                                                            😂
                                                                                            🥰
                                                                                            😘
                                                                                            🤢
                                                                                            😎
                                                                                            😞
                                                                                            😡
                                                                                            👍
                                                                                            👎
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"