Is there any way to creep into seperates????

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brac
    • Aug 2005

Im am thinking about going to seperates, but would like to find a way to do it in steps..... I have 2 receivers available one a JVC RX9000VBK has no per outs.... the other is my old Kenwood KRV 9020 workhorse, it has center and rear pre outs. Any thought on how to upgrade buying 1 piece at a time, without the new equip. just sitting and waiting for more new equip. OR should I just be happy with what I have.. The saving grace is I run all Klipsch so I am able to power my speakers with the reciever. Just I have devoloped a bad case of " AMP ENVY"

Thanks
    Brac
  • dyazdani
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Oct 2005

Yes, you could potentially use either of your existing receivers with a separate amp for the time being.

For example, if you want to go HT - you could buy a multichannel amp but only use 2-3 channels depending on which receiver you pick. You could then upgrade the receiver to a dedicated pre/pro later.

Another option is to go with a 2 channel amp and expand that way. This topic might be better suited in another area of the board - Audio Hideout or Home Theater maybe?
    Danish

Comment

• brac
      • Aug 2005

Im am thinking about going to seperates, but would like to find a way to do it in steps..... I have 2 receivers available one a JVC RX9000VBK has no per outs.... the other is my old Kenwood KRV 9020 workhorse, it has center and rear pre outs. Any thought on how to upgrade buying 1 piece at a time, without the new equip. just sitting and waiting for more new equip. OR should I just be happy with what I have.. The saving grace is I run all Klipsch so I am able to power my speakers with the reciever. Just I have devoloped a bad case of " AMP ENVY"

Thanks
      Brac

Comment

• mickster1972
        • Feb 2005

I upgraded first by buying a separate 5 channel amp and using my receiver's "pre-outs". You could also buy a two-channel, or three-channel, amp and just amplify your mains, or your LCR channels, respectively.

A few months later I upgraded the Onkyo receiver with a preprocessor. I certainly understand your dilemma. I was there about a year ago...
        "MMMMMMM..... Floor Pie..... Marge, where's the silver digging thing?"

-Homer

Comment

• wkhanna
          Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Not having pre-outs makes it difficult. If you use your KRV 9020 I think mickster1972 has a good idea. Since you already have speakers that I assume you like, better amplification will get the most out of them but as I understand by your post, you can only use the new amp/s to power the Center and Rears. But this way you will at least be able to put your purchase to work immediately. After you have refunded your coffer, you can start to audition pre/pros.

Enjoy the journey!!!
          _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
          ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• gd
            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by wkhanna
            Not having pre-outs makes it difficult.
            Not having pre-outs makes it impossible.

You can make an immediate SQ difference by buying a new upscale receiver... Rotel, Arcam, flagship Marantz... any of those should yield a significant improvement over the JVC or Kenwood... later you can add power amps... later still you could move to a dedicated pre-pro.

That's pretty much the way to do it in steps from your starting point... or you could just jump right in and get separates now... used power amp + new pre-pro is not a bad way to go.
            greg (gd to you)
            Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
            production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• wkhanna
              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by gd
              You can make an immediate SQ difference by buying a new upscale receiver
              As usual, gd has the better advice!

A good AV receiver with decent 5-channel amplification would put you right into the game while providing later model processor decoding to boot.

From there you can start adding separate amps.
              _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• brac
                • Aug 2005

So, if I go with a Rotel reciever , I'm guessing they all have pre-outs? Also would I be paying alot more for internal power which later I would'nt use? Any suggestions on a model to look at?
                Thanks
                Brac

Comment

• brac
                  • Aug 2005

But wait I might have thought of something..... The JVC does have "sub room" pre out Would this give me a place to start?
                  Thabks
                  Brac

Comment

• gd
                    • Jan 2003

Sub-room is only a 2-ch stereo signal intended for a second room, would not deliver a correct 'front' signal when using DD or DTS.

Short version: your receivers are older and unable to be expanded upon.

Rotel RSX-1056 - $1600
                    Marantz SR8500 - $1300
                    Arcam AVR300 - $2100

Prices are rough-guess MSRPs... if too much, I recommend lesser Marantz models or Pioneer's 1015.. and there are certainly several other makes to explore.

The good news is your Klipsch's are easy to drive, so you can focus on receiver's sound quality, features and cost... add an amp later.

Audition as much as you can, even if it's only in-store.
                    greg (gd to you)

Frank Zappa

Comment

• brac
                      • Aug 2005

OK, looking at the Rotel and the Marantz, the Marantz seems to have a bit more power, 7.1 , and dvi switching.. or is Rotel gear that much better?
                      I think I could fit either one into my budget... I'm not set up for 7.1 but would be useful in the future. Then the other question once I choose this unit am I best off stickin with the same brand when I go amp shopping?
                      Brac

Comment

• bleeding ears
                        • Nov 2004

Ebay and Rotel are the way to go IMO.

Sell the 2 units you have, get what you can for them, and start a fresh.

Just be patient and wait for something within your price range.

I have seen older Rotel Ht/stereo preamps go for $150 Australian.

Matched with a reasonable amp you will get a great sound. It just wont have PL II and possibly DTS , never mind that is a small compromise for the major cost saving.

You can always upgrade later and recoup your cost when you sell.

No need to spend a fortune.

Just make sure the connections on older preamps are suitable, and check the unit works ok before handing over the money. You will get a great sounding seperates set up for the cost of a newer receiver and it will most likely sound better particularly in 2 channel.

Pete

Comment

• mickster1972
                          • Feb 2005

Sorry for my hasty earlier post/reply, I misunderstood your pre-out configuration. I looked at your JVC unit on the JVC website and see it's not in the cards for you to upgrade the amp section of your receiver with an outboard amp. I used to own a predecessor model to that receiver, and can tell you that, if the lineage is the same, Rotel sound blows it away.

I agree with the advice you've been given. Sell your gear and go for used separates. I own the Rotel 1068/1075 combo and am very pleased with it. My speakers (do-it yourself 4 ohm-nominal) are less sensitive than yours, so I am sure that a Rotel receiver would also serve you well. Sure, the Rotel 1068 doesn't have the latest hookup bells & whistles (like DVI), but you will most probably have better sound than any receiver on the market.

As to DVI, from my perspective, DVI and HDMI are a convenience technology and not necessarily a better way to transmit the signal with high fidelity and good shielding from interference. This will undoubtedly change with time since it is a new technology. Just my skeptical viewpoint, but there is some evidence of the truth in this (see the recent The Perfect Vision DVD player survey wherein the author states that all players, with the exception of 2, had better performance with the video analog inputs (component) than the digital (DVI).

In addition to ebay, try audiogon.com for some good deals on Rotel. Other people's upgraditis can be to your benefit. You should be able to get a used separates combo that is 9 out of 10 in condition and 30% or more off retail. Good luck! :T
                          "MMMMMMM..... Floor Pie..... Marge, where's the silver digging thing?"

-Homer

Comment

• aud19
                            Twin Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by brac
                            OK, looking at the Rotel and the Marantz, the Marantz seems to have a bit more power, 7.1 , and dvi switching.. or is Rotel gear that much better?
                            I think I could fit either one into my budget... I'm not set up for 7.1 but would be useful in the future. Then the other question once I choose this unit am I best off stickin with the same brand when I go amp shopping?
                            Brac
                            I can almost guarantee the Rotel actually out powers the Marantz in the real world. Rotel is one of the small group of companies that actually rates their equipment over the entire freguency spectrum and all channels driven
                            Jason

Comment

• brac
                              • Aug 2005

Ok so I see an RC1070 pre-amp is avail. for just under $500. Or am I better off looking into a unit with some power. like the RSX 1056 or the RSX 1065... There are so many models... how do I choose????? Will a rotel reciever give the same SQ as a rotel pre-amp and seperate amp?

Comment

• wkhanna
                                • Jan 2006

Hey brac,

The 1070 is only a 2-channel pre, no tuner, no amp to power your speakers, no decoding/processing, and not expandable to 5.1, 6.1, 7.1 etc. And that is fine if you are only pursuing a 2-channel configuration.

I'm not sure what your ultimate goal is though. If 2-channel is all you want for now and the near future, then you should be able to put together a fine system using your current Klipsch speakers with new Rotel gear for as little as $800 to $1500; depending on amp power and whether or not you want/need a separate or integrated tuner.

If, on the other hand, you are looking to incorporate HT into you system, your looking at a minimum of 4 channels to amplify, 5 if you want a center channel, a powered sub, plus a processor to decode the plethora of formats that music and video are produced with. In this case, I think most of us would recommend an AV receiver that incorporates a tuner, pre-amp, a minimum of 5-channel amplification, a processor to decode/create multi-channel formats, video switching and features pre-outs (signal level outputs that can be fed to an amplifier, as opposed to line level only outputs which provide enough power to drive speakers but can not be fed to a separate power amp), to allow you to add individual power amps as part of your expansion towards a full ‘separates’ type system.

As you mentioned earlier, this will mean you will not be using the AV receiver’s amp channels when you start adding separate amps, but this is still the best way to “transition” into the realm of full separates, IMHO.
                                _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• brac
                                  • Aug 2005

Thanks for all the input, your right a 2-channel won't help me, as this is all part of my dedicated HT. Is there an easy way to look at rotel model #'s? I assume RSX is reciever?? So I should be shopping for a 1056 or 1065 or 1067.....???? Also should I be looking at anything other than RSX???

I just set up my extra gear so I can show it to people and try to sell most of it as a package. And a friend of mine just bought a HiFi store so I am gonna see what it takes for him to become a dealer for Rotel... The closest one is better than 2 hours away...

Brac

Comment

• gd
                                    • Jan 2003

Do homework here:

Rotel manufactures high end consumer electronics for stereo, home theater and whole house audio systems.

greg (gd to you)

Frank Zappa

Comment

• brac
                                      • Aug 2005

Hey,

Thanks again so much for the help.. I am now looking for either a rsx 1056, 1067, or,if I hit the lottery an rsp 1098 (Yep I'd have to buy an amp but that thing is KILLER"
                                      Brac

Comment

• Victor
                                        • Apr 2002

...Im am thinking about going to seperates... Just I have devoloped a bad case of " AMP ENVY"
                                        Brac,

Why do you want to go with ‘separates’?

Look at it this way; - your speakers are quite efficient, so any extra power you may get with a new amplifier will not really be utilized. The THD of your receiver is perfectly in line with any other amplifier you may purchase.

I just do not see any benefits to upgrading, unless you are looking for better functionality, but then it is very difficult to beat the receiver you already have, unless you go with something like the Meridian-built hardware.

Regards,
                                        Victor

Comment

• brac
                                          • Aug 2005

So am I getting the wrong idea about a major sound quality inmpovement, by going to high quality seperates. I think my system sounds great but would I get more accurate reproduction, from higher end equip.... I don't have money burning holes in my pockets. I know I need to get a KLF-C7 but If there won't be a big improvement by upgrading I would rather not lay out a bunch of money.

Comment

• comeup
                                            • Jul 2005

For two channel check into Rotel they have great entry to highend stuff for a reasonable price. For HT a lot of guys at this site advise Outlaw Audio you can get a power amp and preamp for a grand thats pretty darn good. All I hear is good things about www.outlawaudio.com check it out.

Peace
                                            Blake

Comment

• gd
                                              • Jan 2003

So am I getting the wrong idea about a major sound quality inmpovement, by going to high quality seperates.

I think my system sounds great but would I get more accurate reproduction, from higher end equip....

I don't have money burning holes in my pockets.

need to get a KLF-C7 but If there won't be a big improvement by upgrading I would rather not lay out a bunch of money.

I have devoloped a bad case of " AMP ENVY"
                                              Step back and take a breath... it seems you're looking – as many tend to do – for a one-time purchase that will yield some kind of "major sound quality improvement", without identifying your goals or your current setup (beyond the receivers)... and usually such a one-time purchase gets you only partially to that goal... if you're on a limited budget, you need to plan it out more thoroughly (a start-from-scratch entry-level system should be budgeted at around $3000 – but I'd recommend that amount for speakers alone, if the user is a discerning music listener).

Identify:

Budget in $$$.
                                              Your existing system... disc player, speakers, sub.
                                              Which is more important, movies or music?
                                              Your impression of good / bad sound quality.
                                              What is your listening room like?

Addressing your specific question about "major sound quality improvement" with separates... yes, separates are generally produced with better components and deliver higher quality (detail, smoothness etc) – particularly for music playback... but there's a good chance you wouldn't feel you got your money's worth if you added a 1075 (assuming your receiver was so equipped), depending on your expectations of a $1500 one-time purchase.

Based on limited information, I still say get an upscale receiver and build on that.

If you're strictly movies, finish out your speaker setup, create a full, matched 5.1 setup with a quality sub... if you don't have a sub at all, get that now and you'll get your "major sound quality improvement".

Maybe you just need a better disc player... or maybe your room could use treatments or an outboard EQ... you need to explore that.

If you can't resolve these issues, you might be better advised to hang on to your money until you can swing the separates (both pre-pro and power amp) in one purchase, so you can get that discernible improvement you seek... but if you're looking for night and day differences, you'll need to make a bigger investment.
                                              greg (gd to you)

Frank Zappa

Comment

Working...
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"