X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChrisssB
    • Feb 2006

classe equip & filtering protection

In order to adress current issues like black outs, brown outs, spikes, surges, you name it, I am about to buy a shunyata hydra 8* on which I plan to connect all my audio equipment. CA-2200 included!

Does anyone have any experience with hydra and power amps?
    It's not possible to get a hydra home to test, so any info will be much apreciated!

* Been thinking on guardian 6 but decided to go further up the chain in order to get better quality filtration/protection
  • Srrndhound
    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by ChrisssB
    In order to adress current issues like black outs, brown outs, spikes, surges, you name it, I am about to buy a shunyata hydra 8* on which I plan to connect all my audio equipment. CA-2200 included!

Does anyone have any experience with hydra and power amps?
    It's not possible to get a hydra home to test, so any info will be much apreciated!

* Been thinking on guardian 6 but decided to go further up the chain in order to get better quality filtration/protection
    Just FYI, the Hydra does not affect black/brown outs.

Comment

• ChrisssB
      • Feb 2006

yeap! I know
      It'd take a vast online ups for that (black/brown outs)....but hydras would protect your equipment from the ill effects of the "returning" current.
      Ex: some times when there's one of those instant black outs (when the power stops and comes back in much less than a sec), I read in an article that instead of 230 V (the norm here in Europe) can come back with 800 V!!!

Comment

• alebonau
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Oct 2005

if the amp has a half decent power supply and regulation it wont need any thing else conditioning power fed to it. my multi ch power amp designer says to just plug it straight into the walll for that reason and not use any other devices. and my 2 ch pwr amp has two massive frame transformers as chokes for regulation on top of the well implemented torroidal it has as psu. it doesnt need any other devices either.

both my amps have lived through brown outs, power dips and black outs as testiment. infact one night listening to 2 ch with a friend and we witnested a power dip, with the lights dimming which made no impression on the sound one little bit. proving the quality of the power regulation in the equipment we were listening too.

lightening strikes ? thats another thing ! nothing will stop those frying your gear unless you have them physically un-plugged !
        "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• Glen B
          Super Senior Member
          • Jul 2004

It could be argued that my Classé and Marantz Reference Series components have power supplies that can be considered at least "half decent", yet in my electrical environment, I have been able to realize noticeable sonic improvements from using balanced power, with no negative(s) other than the approx. 105 lb hernia-inducing weight of my DIY unit.

Required reading: Following is a link to a recent post at the PS Audio Discussion Forum, on measurement of residential power line noise. The author is an audiophile and professor of electrical engineering.

Author: http://www.engr.subr.edu/ee/faculty/Smith/index.htm

Comment

• ChrisssB
            • Feb 2006

Very interesting read Glen! thanx for posting it :T

Comment

• Orb
              • Aug 2008

Indeed thanks Glen, well written and highly informative.
              I am a member of one of the better DIY forums and the author of the link you provided is equal in quality to what I would expect to find there.
              Now if only more people could do the same test consensus may spread.

Cheers
              Orb

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"