X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mike c
    • Dec 2005

KEF Q1 vs. B&W DM601 S3

I was wondering if you guys could share your opinion/comments on the above choices. This would have been bought awhile back but I kinda got sidetracked with other stuff (wedding preparations)
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I've never heard the KEF's, but the 601s are nicely rounded sonically and are good choices to start with when auditioning speakers in that price range ($350-450). They will perform better with better amplification (what speakers won't? ), but somewhat moreso than many other speakers will.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• PewterTA
      • Nov 2004

If you can push it, the 602s sound a lot better I think... Plus the bass output on them is much better. The 602s are one heck of a bookshelf speaker for their price.
      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
      -Dan

Comment

• CougarCruiser
        • Sep 2005

What is the MSRP of the 602's?

Comment

• mike c
          • Dec 2005

thanks for the comments guys.

I plan to use an HK 3480 stereo receiver (I know the Rotel RA-01 will "sound" better, but I kinda like the blue jog dial)

cougar, 500USD+- over here in Manila

Comment

• mike c
            • Dec 2005

bump for the KEF Q1 (old model being offered to me for just 300USD)

Comment

• BTB
              • Jan 2006

I owned 601's, great little speakers. When I upgraded to floorstanders after these I was pretty much decided on a pair of 603's but thought I'd give other price competative products a listen, among them models from Kef (the then Q4, Q5 & Q7 to be precise.) because I'd read so many good reviews... like Hi Fi Choice describing the Q7 as a "slice of Hi Fi heaven" :rofl:

I listened to them all on the same set up (a NAD 372 with a matching C542 CDP, not my first choice but what was available in the demo room and should've sounded OK) and didn't enjoy them at all. Mostly because high frequencies sounded dull, in fact, at times almost non-existant. Even good mainstream recordings, like Norah Jones "Come away with me" (which I've heard reproduced with real "in the room" presence on even modest systems) sounded so lacking in any "sparkle" it was a shame. I'm sure KEF and their clever Uni-Q drivers have many fans, but I'm not one of them, and unless there have been significant improvements in the new series, I'd stick with the B&W's.

Comment

• alebonau
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Oct 2005

I'd vote the Q1 over hte 601 no probs.

the Q1 is a suprisingly good speaker and in my opinion better than the b&w.

jump to the 602's though and it would get tough. The kefs woudl win for me in the looks though.
                "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• mike c
                  • Dec 2005

alebonau, so which would you choose, 602 or Q1?

Comment

• Boombox
                    • Oct 2005

I would agree fully with BTB concerning the KEFs...

Had a listen to the Q11 and they did not sound nice to me at all. The highs are non-existant and the overall sound simply to dull...thought it was down to the amplification (Rotel all around CD/pre/power - euro series), but we hooked up a pair of Boston VR2s on the same set and the Bostons had much more energy in them....

I can't comment on the B&Ws though...sorry...have not heard them yet...
                    Regards :T,

Boom....a.k.a...."The Box"

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"