X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wonderin_y
    • Jun 2003

B&W DM601 S3 speaker/sub match

Anyone here have a B&W 5.1 setup using DM601 S3's?
    I'm considering buying 4 of these along with their LCR-60 S3 for center but don't much care for their matching sub(ASW600).
    Any suggestions as to what sub would match up well with the DM601's?
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hmmm, I'll ALWAYS recommend a Velodyne FSR (I run an FSR-15) or HGS series , but they may not be within your budget. What is your budget BTW? If the HGS isn't doable, their VLF series is also a very good choice - the 10" model's MSRP is $650 US. It has all the set-up flexibility you'll need - speaker or line-level inputs, phase control, X-over bypass, etc. You can see them here. As always, try to audition it (or any purchase) in your room before committing.

Good luck, and keep us posted on your decision.

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• SiliGoose
      • Aug 2000

What don't you like about the B&W sub?

I agree with David, the FSR & HGS subs are fantastic (though they cost more than the sub you were looking at). I also agree that knowing your budget will get you many more suggestions.

-Sili
      www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• leeda2
        • May 2003

I am considering the exact same setup and am stuck on the subwoofer. I've heard mixed things about the B&W sub and want to consider other options.

I've heard SVS and HSU make pretty good subs for the price. My receiver will be a Rotel 1065 with B&W 601s all around and LCR60 center. My budget is in the $500 to $800 range with a desire to stay closer to the $500 side.

My room is a decent sized room (~25x15, 10 foot ceilings) but only half of that space will be used for the HT seating area.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Comment

• Harry Tuttle
          • Jun 2003

What exactly didn't you like about the B&W subwoofer?

I have the DM602 S3 and LCR60 S3 and I also didn't get the ASW600 or ASW675, not because I didn't like them - they just seemed a little too expensive compared to the M&K and REL. I ended choicing the REL Q150E as it blends seemlessly with the 602. So much so that I am hardly aware of its presence. But that is what I prefer, the subtlety rather than agressiveness.

Don't know the prices in US, but the 150E is (probably) at the higher end of your budget, and the REL Quake (don't let it size fool you) is also a great little sub in the lower end.

Harry
          Harry

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"