Nad, Audio Ref., Rotel, which to choose?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VikingP
    • Feb 2005

Nad, Audio Ref., Rotel, which to choose?

Hi,

I am new to this forum, and am in need of some guidance / opinions on what system to get. I already have a small Denon receiver, but it's sound quality is limited, and therefore I want to get a new system that will improve the stereo listening ( music ). My budget is 2000 to 3200$US ( 2500 - 4000$CND ), and basically what came out to fit my budget were:
    - an Audio Refinement Pre-2 DSP ( with the PLII upgrade ) and the AR. Multi5 ampilfier, both brand new for 3400$CND ( 2700$US or so )
    - A Rotel RSP-1068 and RMB-1075 for 3475$CND ( 2800$US )
    - Or a Nad receiver, the T773 , and a stereo amp, the C272, for 3300$CND ( 2640$US ).
    - I've also seen a Cambridge Audio ( Azur 540R ) that seems interesting, since it is not that expensive, I could use the rest of the money to buy a better amp, and then upgrade the pre/pro at a later time.
    I listen to 75% music, and 25% movies, and my fronts are a paire of DIY floorstandings, each with two Vifa Premium Line woofers and one Vifa tweeter. I plan to change the speakers in about a year or less for some with all ScanSpeak drivers. What would you recommend from the three setups, or are there other setups that any of you can recommend within my limited budget? I know it is important to listen to each of them, but I would also like to know what others think of these, or any experiences they had with them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by VikingP; 28 February 2005, 03:13 Monday.
  • TimRawson
    • Oct 2004

Depends somewhat on you're speakers.

I've owned a Pre2DSPII. Great unit with clean sound and enough features. I'd get a more bang for the buck amplifier. In talking with another who had the amp and some reviews, it's very refined sounding but doesn't have a lot grunt for bass and dynamic swings. I had the Pre2 with bryston amps with very good results - great match. Wish I had it back now.

I've heard the cambridge sounds great, but interface and features can be annoying.

Most say the NAD is a straight forward sound. Lots of grunt and dynamic ability, but a touch less detail than using a prepro. Haven't had in home for reliable oppinion. But both cambridge and nad better than the mass market receivers in sound quality.

Rotel is good. I haven't listened to enough of their equipment. I had a Rotel 1056 receiver, which many say is close to how a 1068 sounds (then some sayd the diff is substantial). Great features. Strong midrange and thump.

Depends on how "revealing" you speakers are. I'd tried a good handful of pieces both on prepro and amp side with the same speakers. Then I went and listened to next step up speakers and was blown away by the improvement, or ah, difference.

Comment

• VikingP
      • Feb 2005

Thank you your reply TimRawson; it helped to narrow down my options, and i definitly should have a listen to Nad and Rotel.
      I also later thought that I might go with the RSX-1056 receiver and a RB-1070 or RMB-1075 amp ( since my fronts are 4 ohms and the 1056 says it takes a minimum of 8 ohms ). This would save quite a bit of money, but then I wonder if the difference in sound between the RSP-1068 and RSX-1056 is worth close to 1K$CND ( 800$US ).

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"