X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • springer49
    • Oct 2004

Looking for some subwoofer advice

I am currently looking at a few different subs and would like some advice from those that own any of these.
    On my immediate list are the Sunfire Signature EQ, B&W ASW-800, and the Velodyne SPL1200 series 11.
    I listen to 50- 50 music,HT and the sub would be matching up with B&W804's,805's,HTM-1. I have considered the SVS subs but I think they are just to large for the space.
    Thanks in advance for any wisdom that you can relay.
  • springer49
    • Oct 2004

sorry, meant to put this in Audio Hideout. Can you please move me there. Thanks

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by springer49
      I am currently looking at a few different subs and would like some advice from those that own any of these.
      On my immediate list are the Sunfire Signature EQ, B&W ASW-800, and the Velodyne SPL1200 series 11.
      I listen to 50- 50 music,HT and the sub would be matching up with B&W804's,805's,HTM-1. I have considered the SVS subs but I think they are just to large for the space.
      Thanks in advance for any wisdom that you can relay.
      Have you considered HSU Research or a DIY sub? Of the ones you listed I'd likely go for the Velodyne. You should look in to their Digital Drive units as well :P :T
      Jason

Comment

• springer49
        • Oct 2004

I have heard about HSU but haven't read up on them. DIY is probably out of the question because I don't have the tools necessary.I can get the Velodyne for about half the cost of the Sunfire and the B&W so that may be the way to go.

Comment

• Spookyslow
          • Oct 2004

I don't mean to make your decision any more difficult, but I've got a Sunfire EQ and love it. Once I found a nice spot in my room and tuned it correctly it's really pretty amazing. There are points in movies whenwe don't hear anything but just feel a rumble in your chest--from a 13x13 cube!

I opted for the Sunfire for it's performance and size. My wife wasn't too excited about having large black monolith in the room. If you look, you may even find one on Audiogon for a real deal.

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Thread moved per request.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

How large a box can you deal with?

Comment

• springer49
                • Oct 2004

I have an old velodyne now that is probably a 16in. cube so I guess something a little larger. What I am looking for is the best musical sounding sub for the buck.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

If you really want to stay small I'd suggest trying one of these units out.

If you can go with a little larger box and a higher priced sub there's little out there that will sound as good as the kilimanjaro. Both of these are sealed designs which will suit your music requirements and the kilimanjaro unit will excel at Home Theater as well. The kilimanjaro is essentially what I run in my room for pretty much the same reasons you're looking for a musical sub.

Comment

• springer49
                    • Oct 2004

Andrew, Thanks for the info on some subs that I am not familiar with, of course this just makes my decision that much tougher. But that's what makes this hobby so much fun.
                    I will let you know what I end up with after I get my tax return back.

Comment

• Patt
                      • Feb 2005

Whoa boy! those Acoustic Vision subs suuure look good...makes me want to trade in my big black cylinder
                      ......Pat

Comment

• vaa
                        • Aug 2004

Hey Andrew,
                        What made you go with that sub? have you had any other ones? how well does it wotk for movies and music?

Comment

• Bent
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Sep 2003

What made you go with that sub? have you had any other ones?
                          Andrew is sorta "new" to the subwoofer world... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :lol:

oh wait....

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

Hey Andrew,
                            What made you go with that sub? have you had any other ones? how well does it wotk for movies and music?
                            To answer your questions I've actually never owned a comercial subwoofer as I've always built my own. I've built over a dozen subs using everything from 10" to 15" drivers in various configs (Ported, Sealed and IB) with each having things I liked about them. This recent version was more or less a desire to try out the new XBL motors in the Tumult driver to see if it lived up to the hype...and it does

Comment

• brian p
                              • Jan 2005

i'm confused on subs too, thinking i might go with the diy subs from p.e. either 1 12",
                              or two 10's. i dunno. i'm in a large basement. maybe i'll be able to turn them up enough so i won't hear the wife pounding on the floor when she gets mad. did you here somethin' bud? nah...have another, rack em up.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

I wouldn't use a 10" driver if you have the choice...they'll bottom out to easily. Actually given the minimal cost differences get a single 15"...it'll be a much better long term investment.

Comment

• mduke
                                  • Jan 2005

Try the JM labs SW900. Can put out some SPL and is very misical. Retail is $2000

Comment

• denverdoc
                                    • Aug 2004

Or the Definitive Tech Ref super cube--but appreciate in advance that even with 4kWatts as in 4000, your 16 inch cube will be blown away by bigger, well designed competitors. Its a compromise--want a small footprint, get a Sunfire or Definitive, want take no prisoners bass then bigger box will win. Best big box is no box at all as in Infinite Baffle. There the prince and scholar of bass presides,
                                    John

Comment

• RobP
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Nov 2004

Try out the B&W ASW850, Yeah I know they ARE overpriced, but they do sound great. You can pick them up for around $2000 right now pre-owned or demos.
                                      Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"