X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • springer49
    • Oct 2004

can I do this and will it work

I would like to have good 2 channel sound alongside my ht sound.
    what I would like to do is this.
    1.marsh amp connected by xlr to marsh preamp which will run B&W 804's for 2channel sound
    2.marsh amp connected to rotel rsp 1068 by rca which in turn power the 804's for the front channels in my HT.
    Will there be any problems associated with the marsh amp being connected by both balanced and unbalanced connections yet run by two different preamps? Is this a stupid question?
  • junior77blue
    • Nov 2004

Not sure if you can do this or not....

But, does your marsh preamp have a processor in/out?

I have an older adcom gfp750 which i use for stereo, but its connected to my processor as well for HT apps.

Comment

• springer49
      • Oct 2004

I haven't purchased it yet so I can't answer that question. I have tried to find a rear view of it on the web and haven't been successful.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
        • Sep 2001

IF the Marsh preamp is the MSD-2000, here is a pic of the rear which I found at Soundstage Home Audio Equipment Review

Instead of connecting two preamps to the amplifier, a preferable technique would be to hook up the front two channels directly from the marsh stereo preamp to the power amp, and then directly connect all the other channels from the rotel pre/pro, with the front two channel signals of the rotel going to a line input on the marsh preamp which you would select when playing surround sources via the rotel. That will possibly require jiggling two volume controls, since the marsh does not have an HT passthrough, but with some practice (and use of an SPL meter), you can pretty well determine what position the marsh volume control needs to be at in relation to the rotel's at different volume levels.

The reviewer noted:
        Originally posted by Soundstage Reviewer evaluatin Marsh Preamp
        Lastly, because I have one system for both stereo and home theater (oh relax -- the emphasis is squarely on audio, and I move the TV out of the way when things get serious), it would have been convenient to have a home-theater pass-through function so I didn’t have to readjust the volume every time I switched back and forth between music and movies. That’s pretty much it in the quibble department, which is to say the MSD-P2000b was mostly a joy to use.
        So the reviewer was apparently using the setup I am recommending, and still found it doable and enjoyable despite the lack of an HT passthrough. It would certainly be safer for your equipment than trying to rig up the amp with double inputs.

Good luck, and enjoy!

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• springer49
          • Oct 2004

thanks for researching that info. I will have to give that a try when i get my preamp.

Comment

• extreme
            • Sep 2005

Adcom GFP750 setup

Hi junior77blue,
            From your message I knew you are using the processor mode on GFP750 with an external processor. I am trying the same thing here, but are having problems which I'd like to ask. I connect the DVD player to my processor, and the processor connects its pre-out (line out) to the processor-in on GFP750. GFP750 connects to the Amp with the regular output. After I turn on the processor mode, there is very week sound out of the front speakers with the maximum volume on the processor. If I connect the processor's pre-out directly to the Amp, everything works fine. My regular setup: CD player->GPF750->Amp->speakers works fine too. I can not figure out what is the problem on my setup, nor the tech support from Adcom. Is there any trick to setup GPF750 processor mode? Please give me a hand. Thank you.

Extreme

Comment

• extreme
              • Sep 2005

The problem is solved

I have solved problem: processor-in actually means the output for GFP750 and same for the processor-out. Very confusion label from ADCOM and completely wrong diagram in its user's manual. Lossy job for Adcom!

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"