X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chl
    • Dec 2006

B&W 804s and Primare

Hi All,

Just wanted to share my latest experience.

I'm a B&W 804s owner for 1.5 year. Hooked them up from the beginning with Arcam (because at first I wanted to integrate stereo and ht in one system). So I started with the AVR300 and changed them for A90 and P90 bi-amp combination. Still not happy at all.... Because I was certain of the fact that the B&W 804s were capable of much more....

Started to change kabels and stuff....but finally decided to change my electronic gear. Tried Musical Fidelity A5 series...very nice detailled...but not giving me the warm sound I was looking for. Listened to exposure...not enough power...Listened to NAD masters series...same problem..

Finally tried the Primare gear; CD31, PRE30 and the massive A32. Just connected them and after one hour of warming up I was already hooked!! I didn't know those 804s can sound that sweet...Total control...extremly nice mid (voices) and just an overal warm and sweet sound....and the low's are extremly nice to. It doesn't matter wich cd I pick they just all sound good...even the bad recordings are still enjoyable! . I really believe this combi is producing the music as it should be.

greetings,

happy me (Richard)
  • Briz vegas
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Chl Glad you liked the Primare sound. I generally agree with your warm and detailed comments.

I had a somewhat different experience and was not excited by the CD31 and A32 through my CJ tube preamp. I am curious as to what your room setup is. I was listening is a smallish demo room with basic room treatment, carpet on the floor and a bigish couch filling about 40 % of the width of the space. Maybe this room was over dampened or you room is more lively - or maybe our tastes are just different. In the past I have said that the Primare gear lacked PRaT,I was looking for something a little more involving in the music.

Your review has tempted me to give it another listen just for comparision with my current setup, although it would be academic (no plans to change gear) and a friend has since visited the same demo room with 802Ds and confirmed my view of the Primare B&W combo.
    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
    Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• chl
      • Dec 2006

Well my room is quite large and not full with furniture.. I have a large carpet, but besides some paintings, it has much concrete..the floor is of marmer.

That was the main reason I had much trouble with the low's. Right now It isn't an issue any more.

About your own experience... I believe the PRE30 is quite important in the balanced chain with all the primare equipment, maybe you should give it a try again. Are you also driving the 804s ?
      Last edited by chl; 23 April 2007, 02:48 Monday.

Comment

• Briz vegas
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Yes - to save me typing I have listed my gear under my profile.

I asked the primare sales guy if the sound was different with the Primare Pre - he said yes, it has a little more bass (not unexpected). My CJ PV14ls is a particularly nice preamp with tubes so it is a slightly different flavour to a straight solid state model.

I have heard the 804s with balanced gear (Meridian G08 and electrocompaniet integrated), that was a nice combination from memory but it was in a bigger room using different cables etc etc. Its been too long to compare that setup with my current one with any degree of accuracy
        Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
        Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• dknightd
          • Mar 2006

I'm always a little suspicious about equipment that
          makes bad recordings sound good.

I used to have a pair of speakers like that. Everything sounded good to me on them.
          When I first brought my b&w 703 home I was not sure I liked them as much.
          Finally I realized the 703 were doing better at showing the difference
          between songs and CD's. I had grown accustomed to how my
          old speakers sounded - they made everything sound good because
          that was what my ears were used to listening to. The new speakers let me enjoy well recorded things better, but less well recorded things less. While I like the sound
          of my old speakers, I think the 703's are more honest to the recording.

I'm not sure if this would also carry over to electronics to the same degree.

But now I reread what you wrote,
          there is indeed a difference between "even the bad recordings are still enjoyable!"
          and bad recordings sounding good.

The interesting thing about music, is that each of us hear the same thing differently.
          I've never heard Primare electronics, maybe I'd really like them.

Comment

• chl
            • Dec 2006

Originally posted by dknightd
            The interesting thing about music, is that each of us hear the same thing differently.
            I've never heard Primare electronics, maybe I'd really like them.
            Totally agree with that. This is mine nirvana (for the moment :B ) But I can imagine that there are a lot of people which will continue searching for theirs!

For me It's time to listen to the music instead of listen to the low's, mid's and high's and ofcourse the looks of the primare gear are also great ;x(

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"