X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NMyTree
    • May 2004

Dent in Tweeter

I just got home from picking up my Wharfedale Evolution 10 speakers (in glossy piano black), which will be used as rear speakers in my Home theater; matched up with the Wharfedale Opus 2. Which by the way still haven't arrived and probably won't for another month or so.

When I unpacked them, one of the tweeters ( silk/textile) had an area of about a half inch long and maybe a quarter inch wide, which is dented in . It was pushed in.

I called the dealer and he said I could return them for exchange, or I can try very carefully to gently nudge the dent out, by applying a tiny amount of pressure right around the area just before the dent starts.

I did that and the dent popped out. But, you can still see where there is three uneven miniscule spots (where the dent was), where it looks like it dips ever so slightly.

Questions.

Do you think this dent could have caused permanent damaged to the tweeter and cause problems with the sound? This is my main concern. If there's a chance it caused permanent damage and could effect the longevity of the tweeter, than I'd rather return it for exchange.

I don't know if I should chance it and see how it goes; or just return them for exchange.

What would you do?

I can't test the speakers today (by playing music through them), and won't probably get a chance till the weekend.

Thanks.
    Tony
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I'd return them. Period.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Give it a day or two and the little variations may go away (they usually will if the original dent isn't real old).

If it returns to it's original shape there's probably no reason to return it.

I doubt that you'll hear any audible difference between the 'fixed' one, and it's mate in the other speaker.

If you want 'perfection', and it's not a big deal, then exchange the speaker.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• aarsoe
        • May 2004

A small trick that may work - take a piece of scotch tape and apply gently to the area that is bent inward and then gently pull.
        99 of a 100 times it works with no damage at all to the tweeter and the tape will not leave any marks at all..

Comment

• MattCXII
          • Feb 2004

You paid good money for a "perfect" product... you recieved a "damaged" product. In my mind... there is no decision. I would return it if the dealer is offering to make an exchange.

Matt

Comment

• Bam!
            Super Senior Member
            • Jan 2004

dude sorry to hear that.....now your nick should DentNMYTweeter..... :lol:

sorry! couldn't resist ops:

really I am sorry ops:
            Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

I agree with Matt in that you paid top dollar for a new product and that's what you deserve. If its not too much work I'd exchange it regardless of longevity or audible concerns.

Comment

• DrBoom
                • Dec 2003

I had a similar problem with one of my 804's.
                I had it for about 2 weeks, maybe a little less, when I first removed the front grille from the speakers.
                There was a long, thin dent in the FST midrange unit, looked like the speaker had been face down lying on something long and thin.
                The dent started in the foam surround ring, and extended for about 3 cm into the kevlar of the driver itself.
                Nothing you'd ever hear, but once you know it's there...
                There also was a small problem with the other speaker, which had a faulty thread in one of the spike inserts preventing me to screw in 1 of the 4 spikes.
                Both speakers were replaced by new ones, since they are matched, and delivered to my door by the B&W sales representative the same week.
                Ofcourse I did work at a B&W dealer at that time so that might've helped speed things along but never the less great service. :T

So if I were you I'd get them replaced, it has to be in perfect condition if you pay retail for it.

Comment

• NMyTree
                  • May 2004

Here's a few pics of them.

I set them up for some listening, to see if there's any audible difference from the other speaker. I can't hear any difference or any sign of damage.
                  Attached Files
                  Tony

Comment

• NMyTree
                    • May 2004

Thanks guys. I appreciate the opinions.

I decided to keep them.

I've been playing them for over two weeks.....every day, and they sound great. Not that it would make a difference if it effected the sound, but I did get a great price on them.

I don't know if you can tell by the pictures I submitted, but visually, it's barely noticable unless you get within a foot of the speakers and stare at the tweeter from a right angle. There's no audible difference whatsoever. So it doesn't bother me at all.

My main concern was that it could effect the sound and the longevity of the tweeter. But after reading the replies here and speaking to a few people about it, I feel confident there will be no detrimental effects.

They do sound very nice.

Thanks again!
                    Tony

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"