X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • technodanvan
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2009

New Dust collector

I'm in the market for a dust collector. I've been using a DeWalt shop-vac style dust collector for some time, and it works great with smaller tools like handheld routers and such. However, it does not have nearly the flow rate necessary for my table saw, router table, or planer (all reasonably sized, nothing crazy here). Since this would service all three tools in a non-permanent setup it would need to be somewhat mobile and, ideally, not too terribly expensive or large. I was looking at this Shop Fox model but don't know if it would be powerful enough? I'm hoping since all runs would be short I don't need a larger variant. Looking for any input on this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	51o+AqPa0HL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	950569
    - Danny
  • augerpro
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2006

I have the Oneida Mini-Gorilla and really like it. I see they have added to the "personal" line so you might check those out. Whatever brand you look at, get a cyclone style. They are much more efficient in separating particles and the air. Those blower-bag style rely completely on the bag to filter particles and they are terrible at it. Tiny particles will be spread all over the room. The Oneida uses a cyclone and the exhaust air goes through a HEPA filter. I checked the drain cap once on the filter and there was just light dusting on the bottom. That's efficient! And of course the HEPA filter prevents anything leftover from getting into your room.

One thing I have read is most of these non-industrial systems are designed to move air, but not at high suction. They are meant for tools that are hooded or have some capture path and the dust collector clears that path. They are not really meant for low flow, high suction that you would have on a handheld tool like a router or track saw. I use a either a Makita dust collector, or my Ridgid shopvac with HEPA filter for collection at the tool. For the compound saw I built a cabinet and the Oneida is hooked to the cabinet while my Makita is hooked to the saw itself. For the router I built a shrouded work table and the Oneida is connected to a cavity below the work surface and the Makita to the router. Oneida now makes a SuperCell that may perform both tasks (high flow and high suction) well, but I don't know much about it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	saw cabinet.png Views:	0 Size:	536.4 KB ID:	950571 Click image for larger version  Name:	router bench.png Views:	0 Size:	386.3 KB ID:	950572
    ~Brandon 8O
    Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
    Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
    DriverVault
    Soma Sonus

Comment

• Scareurpasenger
      • Jan 2017

Checkout some of the builds using Wynn environmental. The upgrades to standard can be more economical with the right purchase up front.

Comment

• technodanvan
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2009

Interesting thoughts, thanks guys. Might be I need to budget a bit more for this.
        - Danny

Comment

• Steve Manning
          • Dec 2006

Plus 1 on what Brandon recommended. Get a 2 stage/cyclone system and stay away from the dust bags, get a canister filter with a good MERV rating.
          https://www.oneida-air.com/ and https://www.clearvuecyclones.com/ are good sources for info and options. These are some pretty machines as well. https://lagunatools.com/classic/dust-collectors/ I have one of their units.

Your probably going to find like everything else these days, prices have gone up on this stuff a lot over the past couple of years.
          Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

Comment

• ergo
            • Mar 2005

Brandon, I though that you made my day with a reference to Oneida Mini-Gorilla. I had looked at their Dust Cobra's but did not like the very specific HEPA exchaust filtering, so this one with external filter seemed just what I have been looking for....
            but then of course the reality hit and I can't find a single source in Europe selling this and ones in US who offer 220V do not ship overseas by default. So that is probably the deal-breaker and search continues.

Comment

• technodanvan
              Super Senior Member
              • Nov 2009

Bummer man, I'm still planning on a Mini-Gorilla at some point this year.
              - Danny

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"