X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • specialized
    • Apr 2008

excessive dust and speakers?

Hi there.. There is some reconstruction of one of my rooms. Since it's totaly different room , and since it's a small reconstruction (more electricity cables installing in the wall and some wall treatmant), i thought there would be not so much dust in my living room. Also i was a bit afraid of potential damage while packing everything in the box or covering them. Anyway i was wrong , and there is excessive dust (tinny dust from the walls i guess) in whole my apartment and on speakers and amps..

Is there any chance of damage becouse of that?

How to clean everything from dust without damaging it?

Im planing to open all my electronic devices (amps, dac..), and to use small air compressor. Is that ok? Also how to clean the speakers?

Greetings

Darko
  • aarsoe
    • May 2004

Not to paint a horror picture, but dry wall dust can be corrosive if it get moist. Not sure if that is something that is good for your circuit boards. So I would clean them with air as you plan to. For the speakers I would just use a "feather" brom or what ever you call that fancy thing that were made of austrige feathers in the old days

Comment

• KRC
      • Aug 2004

Physically moving the items is the ultimate choice if you are able, or to cover them up with plastic sheets. But, you are right compressed air is terrific for the electronics. I would not use a compressor though, I would go with the cams of compressed air from computer stores etc as you would not have to worry about the strength of the air. For CD/DVD players you will have the issue of laser lenses etc so I would follow manufactorers instructions for that. For the speakers, the exterior, I use lemon oil weekly to dust them and it is great for dusting and to keep the veneer from drying, for the drivers, again the can of compressed air would go along way, just be careful around tweeters.

Kevin

Comment

• specialized
        • Apr 2008

Originally posted by KRC
        Physically moving the items is the ultimate choice if you are able, or to cover them up with plastic sheets. But, you are right compressed air is terrific for the electronics. I would not use a compressor though, I would go with the cams of compressed air from computer stores etc as you would not have to worry about the strength of the air. For CD/DVD players you will have the issue of laser lenses etc so I would follow manufactorers instructions for that. For the speakers, the exterior, I use lemon oil weekly to dust them and it is great for dusting and to keep the veneer from drying, for the drivers, again the can of compressed air would go along way, just be careful around tweeters.

Kevin

Its allready done.. Do u think that dust made some damage ? Or when i clean it it would be ok? If there is some damage how to check that is damaged?

Also should i use vacum cleaner clean the dust?

Greetings

Darko

Comment

• Charlieu
          • Oct 2008

I doubt there would be any damage. If you had any equipment running while the work was in progress, your worry will be the ones with fans in them. They would have the most dust pulled into them and the dust could affect the longevity of the fans. Use the vacuum on the exteriors. Take your equipment outside before using compressed or canned air to blow the dust off. Be careful if you use canned air. Short bursts about 5 to 6 inches from the circuit boards. Canned air comes out very cold and can cause condensation to form on the surface you are blowing the dust off of. Your speakers are easy. Swiffer them, remove the grilles if you had them on and vacuum them. You can use a wood polish on the cabinents to give them the final touch.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"