Woodworking newbie here .. thinking of these two tools to start with?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ScottTex
    • Jan 2017

Woodworking newbie here .. thinking of these two tools to start with?

Complete newbie here and have been frustrated with the tools that I currently have ..
    I want to put this to bed so I can actually start building cabinets.
    I am thinking of purchasing the following .. please let me know your thoughts, advice, comments etc.
    Thank you for everyone's input in advance.

DeWalt DWS780 12-Inch Double Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw .. seems like this would be a home run for angled miter cuts as well as accurate length cuts all in one pass .. ?

DW625 3 HP (maximum motor HP) EVS Plunge Router
  • knowledgebass
    • May 2013

Perhaps a brief description of the problems with your current tools? For example, if the problem is based on your knowledge of using the tool properly or a problem with how the tooling is setup then new versions of the same tools won't necessarily come with instructions or a better setup out of the box.

Comment

• TEK
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

My first power-tools for speaker building would have been:
      - A plunge saw
      - A plunge router

A table saw would be high on my list for many purpose ad it is very versable when you add various utilities.
      -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

• BobEllis
        Super Senior Member
        • Dec 2005

Following Knowledgebass' direction of identifying the problem before recommending solutions, I'm going to guess that you are having problems getting accurate cuts. A solid, level bench helps a lot. I built my Ardents on plastic saw horses on uneven ground. Possible, but I don't recommend it. There was almost as much rework as work.

Both tools mentioned are excellent tools and you will find proponents of them here. If you don't already have a serviceable plunge router, the DW625 is a good one to get. As with clamps, you can never have too many routers. So even if you have a serviceable plunge router, get a DW625 to add to the colle

How would you cut the majority of cuts on speaker boxes that are beyond the capability of the DWS780? As TEK suggests, a circular saw is a better starting point. Especially with a guide, perhaps a track saw. Since you seem a Dewalt fan, this is about the same price as the DWS780 https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWS520...ords=track+saw

I've had a number of circular saws that wouldn't cut a straight line or keep the blade at the prescribed angle. In that case, a straightedge and router with a flush trim bit did a good job straightening the edges and making them parallel.

Comment

• ScottTex
          • Jan 2017

Originally posted by knowledgebass
          Perhaps a brief description of the problems with your current tools? For example, if the problem is based on your knowledge of using the tool properly or a problem with how the tooling is setup then new versions of the same tools won't necessarily come with instructions or a better setup out of the box.
          Sure .. just have a couple dremels and a drill press ... and a rotozip plus
          simply cant get straight cuts

Comment

• ScottTex
            • Jan 2017

Thank you
            I am not too concerned in regards to the larger cuts beyoe the capability of the dws780 as it will cut up to 12" wide 45 degree angled miters .. I am just looking to build smaller 2 way monitors at this time.

Comment

• BobEllis
              Super Senior Member
              • Dec 2005

Limiting yourself to a 12" cut really limits growth potential. Most monitors that size will really want a subwoofer to go with them. A 12" cut won't do there.

If you must miter the boxes, it's a good tool. Most of us build with butt or lap joints, where a square cut is all you need. I recommend either a track saw or table saw before the miter saw - you can get a very serviceable portable saw for similar money that will serve many more projects. A good blade will help any saw. I got a very nice blade from dynamicsaw.com although Freud blades certainly outperform the blade that come with your saw for less.

Comment

• ScottTex
                • Jan 2017

Originally posted by BobEllis
                Limiting yourself to a 12" cut really limits growth potential. Most monitors that size will really want a subwoofer to go with them. A 12" cut won't do there.

If you must miter the boxes, it's a good tool. Most of us build with butt or lap joints, where a square cut is all you need. I recommend either a track saw or table saw before the miter saw - you can get a very serviceable portable saw for similar money that will serve many more projects. A good blade will help any saw. I got a very nice blade from dynamicsaw.com although Freud blades certainly outperform the blade that come with your saw for less.
                Thank you for your input much appreciated.
                I'm not concerned with needing a subwoofer as I do have 4 18" subs and I always crossover around 40 hz to 60 hz or so when listening to music.

I wonder why most builders use butt or lap joints?

Comment

• TEK
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Oct 2002

Originally posted by ScottTex
                  Thank you
                  I am not too concerned in regards to the larger cuts beyoe the capability of the dws780 as it will cut up to 12" wide 45 degree angled miters .. I am just looking to build smaller 2 way monitors at this time.
                  First, if you get a circular saw, absolutly get one with a track.
                  I got a Festool saw, expensive, but boy do that saw give accurate cuts!

I do not know how you work, but I buy sheets of playwood/mdf that is 242x122 cm.
                  I use my circular saw to get it into smaller parts. I then used my table saw for fine cuts or for producing pices of equal size.
                  I would get a decent table saw and a circularcsawbefore a saw like the dwd780 (not sure what that type of saw is called).
                  I still do not have a saw like the dwd780, but have borrowed a simular one when I have built a wall or other construction related task. I have also only buildt subs and full size speakers so I could never done with only a saw like that.
                  That said, for cutting shorter cuts it is a very handy tool.

In the end you will probably have both anyway ;-)
                  -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

• ScottTex
                    • Jan 2017

Thank you Tek.
                    I'm just thinking that the dws780 will have accurate cuts as well as 45 degree angled miters .. kind of killing two birds with one machine?

Comment

• Steve Manning
                      • Dec 2006

I'd certainly agree with Bob & TEK, go for a table saw first. You can make a crosscut sled for it and handle crosscuts larger than 12" to boot.
                      Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

Comment

• TEK
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Oct 2002

Thank you Tek.
                        I'm just thinking that the dws780 will have accurate cuts as well as 45 degree angled miters .. kind of killing two birds with one machine?
                        It will only have accurate cuts for small/short cuts.
                        You can do miteted cuts with both s circular saw and a table saw.
                        -TEK

Comment

• oneplustwo
                          • Jan 2010

Agree with the above. My miter saw gets used the least. And really isn't a precision tool relative to a table saw. And I would definitely invest in a track saw vs. a plain circular saw.
                          Zaph SR-71
                          Zaph ZDT 3.5
                          Sunflower Redux
                          12" Dayton HF sub
                          CJD RS 150 MT
                          Revelator bookshelf
                          2x12 Guitar cab
                          Corner loaded line array

Comment

• wkhanna
                            Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2006

i still do not have a miter saw........
                            and no plans to get one.......
                            just been using a table saw (BT3100), a decent plunge router (Dewalt 621), a good jig saw, a good orbital sander & bench-top drill press.
                            i would get a biscuit jointer or band saw before i got a miter saw......more useful in my estimation......but that is just me.......
                            _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                            ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• TEK
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Oct 2002

It is also a good idea to evaluate what tool you put money in.
                              Most money and effort in the most important/most used tools.
                              I actually have a biscut joiner - a really cheep one, but I do not do much biscut joining - do it is good enough.
                              I put a lot of money into my circular saw, but it was my second one, and I new I was going to use it a lot.
                              I also put a lot thouht, consideration and money into my table saw.
                              I also want a bandsaw as I often miss it - but I'm not sure if I have the floor space. Hmm, maybe if I redo my DIY router table to a smaller version where parts of the table can be folded in?

And you must consier getting a shop vacuum if you do not have one already.
                              -TEK

Comment

• ScottTex
                                • Jan 2017

Thank you guys for all your input .. much appreciated.

Comment

• ScottTex
                                  • Jan 2017

Ok you guys convinced me here .. ty
                                  So I am now looking at one of the best hybrid table saws to be had .. any suggestions?
                                  My budget for this would be around $600 or so ..
                                  Hybrid: Porter-Cable PCB270TS, Hybrid: Craftsman 21833 others?

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                    Mad Max Moderator
                                    • Aug 2000

well, if it was me, I think you need three pieces...

Since everyone has their own opinions, I may as well chime in... (not that I'm the wood working guru, if anything, I'm the dunce of the class, and always taking on things above my pay and skill grade)

• DWS-780 is one of my favorites, love mine, and it can go to 16" deep. You can do a fair amount with one of these, used it alot with the Isiris, and for mini-monitors it might be all you need, depending on what sizes you can get stuff pre-cut to...
                                    • Table saw, my current recommendation is the DeWalt 7491RS, the stand/roll around works great, the rack and pinion fence is super accurate, it has a large working capacity, and it stores small.
                                    • Last, you need a good plunge router. I have over a dozen routers, setup for specific jobs, but if I could only have one, and not break the bank, it would probably be the DeWalt DW621, though I have a hankerng to have the DW625, too, but my big Hitachi's have me covered for those times I need 3 horse power.
                                    the AudioWorx
                                    Natalie P
                                    M8ta
                                    Modula Neo DCC
                                    Modula MT XE
                                    Modula Xtreme
                                    Isiris
                                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                    Minerva Monitor
                                    Calliope
                                    Ardent D

In Development...
                                    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                                    Obi-Wan
                                    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                                    Modula PWB
                                    Calliope CC Supreme
                                    Natalie P Ultra
                                    Natalie P Supreme
                                    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                                    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• ScottTex
                                      • Jan 2017

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                                      Since everyone has their own opinions, I may as well chime in... (not that I'm the wood working guru, if anything, I'm the dunce of the class, and always taking on things above my pay and skill grade)

• DWS-780 is one of my favorites, love mine, and it can go to 16" deep. You can do a fair amount with one of these, used it alot with the Isiris, and for mini-monitors it might be all you need, depending on what sizes you can get stuff pre-cut to...
                                      • Table saw, my current recommendation is the DeWalt 7491RS, the stand/roll around works great, the rack and pinion fence is super accurate, it has a large working capacity, and it stores small.
                                      • Last, you need a good plunge router. I have over a dozen routers, setup for specific jobs, but if I could only have one, and not break the bank, it would probably be the DeWalt DW621, though I have a hankerng to have the DW625, too, but my big Hitachi's have me covered for those times I need 3 horse power.
                                      Thank you for your input John,
                                      Speaking of being a dunce, that is me here with this wood working thingy ..
                                      I would still need a machine to cut the width of the panels .. or am I being a dunce not thinking straight here ..
                                      Please lets assume that I just want to build 2 way stand mounted monitors (because this is what I want to make) .. How would I be able to cut the correct width of my panels would the 780 do this for me or as u suggested do I need the table saw as well.. or is the good table saw is all I would need ?

Comment

• Browncoat
                                        • Oct 2016

I'm not a woodworking expert either, but I think the advice in this thread is spot-on. A couple random thoughts:
                                        • Definitely consider how you will manage dust (this could be as simple as working outside on the porch or driveway). Routers are particularly messy.
                                        • Breaking down a 4'x8' sheet of 3/4" MDF on a table saw by yourself can be scary. A cheap saw to make rough cuts is useful.
                                        • Only considering casework, I think a nice track saw is as good, if not better than, a tablesaw. I even use mine to joint veneers.
                                        • Never had a miter saw, and never felt I needed one. Maybe if I did a bunch of crown moulding...
                                        • If you don't already have clamps, you'll probably want them.

Personally, I don't find big differences in the major brands at a given price point--they all have their own quirks, and for the most part they can all get the job done.

Comment

• BobEllis
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Dec 2005

Regarding dust, MDF is just plain nasty stuff. The dust gets everywhere within 100 yards of your work. Including inside most dust masks. A paint respirator works better, but one of those positive pressure helmets is a good bet with MDF. Most people use it for speakers because it is cheap. Cabinet grade Baltic Birch is much nicer to work with. I won't go back. MDF dust is so fine that if you don't have some sort of cyclone separator you'll clog your filter in no time at all. TEK made his own dust collection system, others have taken the easy way out and bought dust collectors. For occasional use, my Dust Deputy cyclone in front of a shop vac works well. If I was as prolific as some here I'd get something more like what TEK made.

I agree with Broancoat's assessment that major brands are pretty equivalent at a price point. Grab hold of a tool and see how it works for you. I have Bosch and Hitachi plunge routers. Lovely tools, but their plunge lock levers work in opposite directions. A small nit to pick, but EVERY time I switch between them I have to stop to think about it.

You can never have too many clamps. Buy some good ones every time they go on sale.

Comment

• TEK
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Oct 2002

Might be worth mentioning that I built the wavecor ardents using only a plunge router, a track saw and a drill (if I recall correct...).
                                            As well as clamps of course...
                                            -TEK

Comment

• bvbellomo
                                              • Mar 2013

Not an expert either, but I am a newbie. I own a decent miter saw and a cheap table saw (no where as expensive or nice as what Jon recommend). I find the table saw indispensable for cabinet work, and never even once considered the miter saw for this project, although I'd hate to do a whole house of baseboards and molding with the table saw. I do have a circular saw I use, unless I run 4x8 sheets through the table saw, I don't know how I'd go without it.

I also use a dremel, drill, sharp chisel, sander and of course router with Jensen jig.

Comment

• ScottTex
                                                • Jan 2017

Thank you all for the helpful info
                                                I will be purchasing a table saw.

Comment

• ScottTex
                                                  • Jan 2017

Originally posted by BobEllis
                                                  Following Knowledgebass' direction of identifying the problem before recommending solutions, I'm going to guess that you are having problems getting accurate cuts. A solid, level bench helps a lot. I built my Ardents on plastic saw horses on uneven ground. Possible, but I don't recommend it. There was almost as much rework as work.

Both tools mentioned are excellent tools and you will find proponents of them here. If you don't already have a serviceable plunge router, the DW625 is a good one to get. As with clamps, you can never have too many routers. So even if you have a serviceable plunge router, get a DW625 to add to the colle

How would you cut the majority of cuts on speaker boxes that are beyond the capability of the DWS780? As TEK suggests, a circular saw is a better starting point. Especially with a guide, perhaps a track saw. Since you seem a Dewalt fan, this is about the same price as the DWS780 https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWS520...ords=track+saw

I've had a number of circular saws that wouldn't cut a straight line or keep the blade at the prescribed angle. In that case, a straightedge and router with a flush trim bit did a good job straightening the edges and making them parallel.
                                                  Thank you Bob,
                                                  Thinking of going with the Dewalt Dw625 and a quality table saw.

Comment

• ScottTex
                                                    • Jan 2017

Unfortuately I am finding that I may have to up my $600 budget for a tablesaw ..
                                                    was looking at the Sawstops ..
                                                    $2,100 for the contractor model ..
                                                    I will have to wait for abit to purchase but think I am going with this one unless you guys convince me otherwise?
                                                    Again .. any comments are greatly appreciated here.
                                                    I sincerely Thank you all that have chimed in on this newbies questions

Comment

• Browncoat
                                                      • Oct 2016

You can do beautiful work on an inexpensive saw, but Sawstop definitely makes a very nice saw, and the safety feature is cool.

Comment

• Steve Manning
                                                        • Dec 2006

Unfortuately I am finding that I may have to up my $600 budget for a tablesaw ..
                                                        was looking at the Sawstops ..
                                                        $2,100 for the contractor model ..
                                                        I will have to wait for abit to purchase but think I am going with this one unless you guys convince me otherwise?
                                                        Again .. any comments are greatly appreciated here.
                                                        I sincerely Thank you all that have chimed in on this newbies questions
                                                        Browncoat is certainly right about being able to make good stuff with an inexpensive saw, however, I have found over the years that if you afford it, buy the best "quality" tools you can. That is not the same as most expensive. You can also keep an eye out for gently used stuff and save a bunch that way. Skimping to save a few bucks can lead to frustration in most cases.
                                                        Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

WEBSITE: http://www.smjaudio.com/

Comment

• ---k---
                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                          • Nov 2005

My neighbor has a full size Stopsaw. A very nice saw. But, you're paying a LOT for the "Stopsaw" safety feature. Is it really needed? I don't know. Most people can use a saw without it. But, one accident can be life changing. Risk increases with usage. If you build a pair of speakers a year, your risk is a lot less than using the saw everyday. It would be very hard for me to justify a Stopsaw for my first saw, not knowing how much I'd use it. I'd get this the DeWalt linked above (or a similar Rigid model like I have), a good blade, and learn how to use it safely. If you can take a class at Woodcraft or your local community college, that'd probably make you safer then the Stopsaw. Then grow into the Stopsaw.
                                                          - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                                                          CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                                                          CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• TEK
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Oct 2002

I think you will be very happy with a decent table saw - but you should enter this journey with a clear mind regarding your usage and preferences.
                                                            First I think you should choose between a movable saw (contractor saw) or a permanent saw (cabinet saw).
                                                            A cabinet saw typically has a cast iron top, belt drive and other stuff that causes it to be vwry different than a contractor saw that is constructed to be moved.
                                                            For the price you are in you can get a saw like this:
                                                            <h1>G0691 10&quot; 3HP 220V Cabinet Table Saw</h1><p>We couldn't offer the gold standard in Cabinet Table Saws without offering an extended rip capacity version too. The G0691 10" 3HP 220V Cabinet Table Saw with Long Rails & Riving Knife features a 49" rip capacity - more than enough to rip to the center of a standard sheet of plywood. The extension table features adjustable legs, a square steel tubing frame and a dimensionally stable top. <p>The true riving knife moves up, down and tilts with the blade. A short riving knife and a tall splitter/riving knife that the blade guard mounts to is also included. If you do any cabinet or plywood work, this saw is the answer to your dreams!</p><p>Like all Grizzly table saws, the G0691 comes with a 1-year warranty which covers parts and assures the unit is free from factory defects. (Consumables are not covered by the warranty.) <p>The G0691 manual was written by our U.S. based Technical Documentation Department and is packed with useful information. The complete and easy to read manual makes it easier to assemble and maintain your saw. <p>The Grizzly Customer Service and Technical Support Teams are U.S. based. Parts and accessories for the table saw are available on-line and shipped from the Grizzly parts warehouse in Springfield, MO.</p> <p><font color="red">CSA Certified</font></p><p><font color="red">Made in an ISO 9001 factory</font></p> <p><strong>SPECIFICATIONS:</strong></p><ul> <li>Motor: 3 HP, 220V, single-phase, 12.8A</li> <li>Rip capacity: 49" right, 12" left of blade</li> <li>Max. depth of cut @ 90&deg;: 3-1/8"</li> <li>Max. depth of cut @ 45&deg;: 2-3/16"</li> <li>Table size with extension: 74-3/4" W x 27" D</li> <li>Distance from front of table to center of blade: 17-1/4"</li> <li>Floor-to-table height: 34"</li> <li>Arbor diameter: 5/8"</li> <li>Arbor speed: 4300 RPM</li> <li>Max. width of dado: 1-3/16"</li> <li>Dust port size: 4"</li> <li>Footprint: 20" x 20"</li> <li>Overall dimensions: 82" W x 41" D x 40" H</li> <li>Approximate shipping weight: 557 lbs.</li></ul> <p><strong>FEATURES:</strong></p> <ul> <li>Precision-ground cast-iron table</li> <li>T-slot miter gauge</li> <li>Quick-release riving knife and spitter/blade guard assembly</li> <li>Easy-glide T-square camlock fence with HDPE face</li> <li>Knurled knobs for adjusting fence with nylon runners</li> <li>Includes standard and dado table inserts</li> <li>Quick-release motor guard</li> <li>Set screw holds table insert down, with adjustment screws inside</li> <li><font color="blue">Includes 10" x 40T blade and push stick!</font></li> </ul>

And a lot of other options.
                                                            A important question is if you are going to move your saw around. Than you need a contractor saw.
                                                            But if you want a permanent saw that will be the center of your workshop, then you need a cabinet saw.

I recently took this "journey", you can read about it in this thread:
                                                            DIY (Do it yourself): Cabinetry, speakers, subwoofers, crossovers, measurements. Jon and Thomas have probably designed and built as many speakers as any non-professionals. Who are we kidding? They are pros, they just don't do it for a living. This has got to be one of the most advanced places on the net to talk speaker building, period.

I ended up with a cabinet saw and are really happy for that. I love my saw!
                                                            But it does take up A LOT of space, and it for sure will never be moved for soing some temporary work any other place than in my workshop (I think it is about 250kg).
                                                            -TEK

Comment

• augerpro
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Aug 2006

I hate table saws. Have you used one? I lacked the skill to feed it perfectly straight while man handling a big piece wood so my edges always got messed up. And I've had the infamous pushback where the wood practically gets thrown back with enough force to break a finger. I hate them.
                                                              OTOH track saws are awesome. I ended up with a Festool TS55 but I think there was a Makita that ranked well and was a lot cheaper. Can't recommend that enough.

For the router I would look at the DWS618. Good blend of features, quality, and power without being a heavy beast. Ergonomics are just as important as paper specs. Also can be had with multiple bases and wide compatibility with aftermarket accessories.

Measurement tools are critical also to good cuts. Get quality squares, rules, etc. Some good brands are iGaging, Woodpeckers, and Incra.
                                                              ~Brandon 8O
                                                              Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
                                                              Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
                                                              DriverVault
                                                              Soma Sonus

Comment

• oneplustwo
                                                                • Jan 2010

I have a sawstop and love it. I debated between the contractor saw and the PCS and ended up with the PCS because I wanted it to be the last saw I ever bought. It's not fail safe though so don't let your guard down. But the peace of mind from the features it does boast are hard to ignore. A few thousand for saving your fingers?! Also, I would like to introduce the hobby to my kids some day so...

As with any tool, do the research to use it safely and effectively. But I doubt you'll regret either the contractor or cabinet saw purchase if funds allow.
                                                                Zaph SR-71
                                                                Zaph ZDT 3.5
                                                                Sunflower Redux
                                                                12" Dayton HF sub
                                                                CJD RS 150 MT
                                                                Revelator bookshelf
                                                                2x12 Guitar cab
                                                                Corner loaded line array

Comment

• ScottTex
                                                                  • Jan 2017

Thank you guys for all your input.
                                                                  I am going with the contractor StopSaw when funds permit..
                                                                  For one its a quality saw and is about the most I would be willing to spend, the biggest sell for me is the safety feature .. as I had in recent years an accident that damaged my right index finger and to this day is not 100%

As far as a plunge router should I purchase a 2 hp or a 3hp .. again I will be initially working with only 1/2" mdf for mini and smaller 2 way monitors..
                                                                  Thank you guys, I appreciate this.

Comment

• BobEllis
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • Dec 2005

Why not buy both?

I find my 2 HP Bosch is plenty powerful enough for speaker cutouts and rebates. For dadoes, edge round overs and chamfers I use my 3 HP Hitachi MV-12. I've used the Bosch for all of those, it just requires a slower feed rate/shallower cut.

Some say that the Hitachi is too big to hand hold comfortably, bit I'm a big guy. That may be an issue with other 3 HP routers. Try to see how they feel.

I recommend a 2HP router first, it will be more comfortable for a broader set of cuts. Then if you find yourself needing more power regularly get a 3 HP.

Comment

• ---k---
                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                      • Nov 2005

Routers come in all shapes and sizes. Each has their plus and minuses.
                                                                      Don't get hung up on HP ratings. I think manufacturer's lie so they are meaningless.

I have this Hitatchi 2.25 HP plunge/fixed base combo. It has served me well. I've used it to do plunge cuts in 1/2" to 1-1/2" material. 3/4" roundovers on 3/4" ply. And all sorts of other jobs.
                                                                      Shop Hitachi 1/4-in and 1/2-in 2.25-HP Variable Speed Combo Fixed/Plunge Corded Router Case at Lowe's.com. 2-1/4 In. peak HP made for fine groove cutting, window cutting, trimming, shaping and cutting patterns.

(Bosch and Dewalt make similar size package routers that I'd consider.)
                                                                      Biggest downside it no dust collection. But dust collection can be cumbersome on routers for freehand type stuff.

It is a good multi-purpose router. Which of course means it isn't the best at anything. If you were just doing driver cut outs, a nice big Dewalt https://www.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-2-HP...Router/3509380 with monster dust collection would be my preference. I'm not sure I'd want to use that one to do roundovers on boxes unless you stick it in a table. If you're doing small details and veneer, you'd want a the small 1hp trim Bosch router.

I've been able to be get by building probably a dozen speakers with the multi purpose router (I have a table that I mount it in from time to time). That is what I'd suggest for a first router. Jon Marsh has probably a 1/2 dozen routers for different purposes. I'm totally jealous!
                                                                      - Ryan

Comment

• TEK
                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                        • Oct 2002

Ryan, your link gives me "access denied".
                                                                        Are you copying links while logget in at lowes?
                                                                        -TEK

Comment

• BobEllis
                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                          • Dec 2005
                                                                          • 1609

The links work for me. Maybe because you're blocked because you're not in the US?

Comment

• ---k---
                                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                                            • Nov 2005
                                                                            • 5202

Was going to respond the same way Bob did.

Its the Hitachi KM12VC 2-1/4 Peak HP Variable Speed Fixed/Plunge Base Router Kit.

But, here is an Amazon link ($5 more than Lowes 8O ):
                                                                            Hitachi KM12VC 2-1/4 Peak HP Variable Speed Fixed/Plunge Base Router Kit

and
                                                                            - Ryan

Comment

• BobEllis
                                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                                              • Dec 2005
                                                                              • 1609

#39
                                                                              You know what they say about great minds, Ryan. So why are we thinking alike?

Comment

Working...
                                                                              😀
                                                                              😂
                                                                              🥰
                                                                              😘
                                                                              🤢
                                                                              😎
                                                                              😞
                                                                              😡
                                                                              👍
                                                                              👎
                                                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                              Search Result for "|||"