X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nk215
    • Aug 2010

In-Khan-Neato build - my first woodworking project

Good morning everyone.

First, let me start off by saying I like this site.

About 3 months ago, I ran into Zeph DIY speaker website from a link in avsforum. Since then, I wanted to build a speaker or two mostly because I was never completely please with the commercial speakers that I got - the shape and placement restrictions to be specific.

I am not a woodworker. In fact, my wood working tools consist of a dremel and a jig saw. I went out and did some tool shopping: A table saw, a ¼” router+table combo, a ½ router, a slider miter saw. I moved the tools into the unfinished part of the basement. That would be my future workshop.

To make a long story short, the router scared the living daylight out of me. The table saw was even worse. The idea of moving my hands toward rotating blade/bit made me very uncomfortable.

I needed to change out my tools. I wanted the opposite of a table saw. Some kind folks introduced me to the radial arm saw and I liked what I saw. I can clamp down the part, move my hands out of the way then cut. I searched the local Craigslist and ultimately bought 2.

The router replacement was slightly more complicated. I had two options, a CNC machine or a DIY rig. I went with making a rig myself. Again, everything went down the basement.

After the first MDF cut, it was clear that I couldn’t tolerate the MDF dust (even with a vacuum connecting to the dust port). I moved everything up to the garage. The dust problem was still very bad. It turned by wife red Porsche orange with the car parked two bays over. So I needed a mobile tool platform to move the tools out into the drive way. The pallet jack was next in line.

Last Saturday, while the wife was sleeping and the nanny took care of the kid, I went out to build my first ever speaker box.

The baffle cut-out was quick. The rig worked fine getting me the cuts perfectly the first time. It was much more comfortable standing 2 feet from the router while it was doing its job. I went at it both ways, the thru hole first then counter-bore and counter-bore first then thru hole. I used a 1/4” straight router bit for all the driver cutouts.

By lunch time, the baffles were cut and the sides of one box were glued up. I’ll wait for all the part before gluing the back and baffle in place for the first box then I’ll move onto the next one. The major wood cuttings are done. I may do the 45 degree chamfering with my other router just for look.

The cross over parts and drivers should be here before the weekend. I should be able to get the x-overs done. I don’t like the soldering gun and will use the wire wrapper instead.

The first pair will go up to the bed room. They will be wall mounted and feed by a tube amplifier.

At the end, I didn’t even use the table saw and the compound sliding miter saw. I didn’t even open the jasper jig box – this may go back to amazon.

Box size:
    Outside dimensions are 33” x 10” x7.125”. The divider for the mid is measured 9.25” down from the top.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Sorry to burst your bubble, but it's widely recognized that radial arms saws are just about the most dangerous saws on the planet.

Oh and yes I have one.

IMO everyone owning a RAS should buy this book.... http://mrsawdust.com/

BTW old forum rule.....no pics posted means the project isn't happening ... 8O

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• ---k---
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2005

It's good to have respect for the tools. I watched a lot of woodworking on TV and actually got help form CJD cutting the holes in my first baffle before I was really comfortable with it. After seeing CJD do it, I was pretty confident and haven't looked back. My projects aren't all pretty, but I've learned a little something with each build and someday will have a project turn out as nice as some of the ones you see here.

Around me, I can take a woodworking class from either the Parks Department, community college, or Woodcraft store. I have contemplated it many times, but just can't find the time. I think it would help me gain a lot more confidence in tackling more complex projects. And probably more importantly teach me how to use my tools safely.

I'm glad you chose the In-Khans. I hope you love them as much as I love mine.

You do need to chamfer out the backside of the drivers (especially the mid) so that the driver can breath. You should use your router for that.

Can we talk you out of the tube amp???
      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• BigguyZ
        • Jan 2009

I think the RAS (Radial Arm Saw) get's a lot of bad flak. They are dangerous- but ALL power tools are dangerous.

See Here for an example http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...ight=lacerated.

If you are have a Craftsman saw, there's a recall that's out on them. If you google it, I'm sure you'll find the website. But if you have a model/ serial that qualifies, the company that made the saw will ship to you (for free) a kit that will completely revampt the saw. It has a better guard, splitter, and a 1" thick MDF tabletop (I still cover that with a 1/4" MDF panel that I can cut into slightly and replace when needed.

Get that and install it, tuning up the saws while you do.

Next, get a good crosscut blade with a negative hook angle. That will greatly reduce the tendancy of the saw to "self-feed".

Wlecome!

Comment

• nk215
          • Aug 2010

Thank you all.

About the RAS, yes, mine is a Craftsman. I bought it with the new blade guard and table assembly. I just didn't install the new table yet. I saw no need to do so.

As for safety, I made sure that my hands are off the table. In rip mode, I didn't even rip the MDF all the way. I just cross cut the end off. It's safer that way I guess.

I got the negative angle blade for the RAS. The blade was almost 1/2 the cost of the saw itself.

Here are the pictures. The first pic is my rig for driver cutouts. Basically, I mounted a router on a rotating arm.
          Attached Files

Comment

• ---k---
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2005

Are you going to be the first (that I know of) to build these ported?
            - Ryan

Comment

• nk215
              • Aug 2010

Nope. That was a test run. I over cut the mid thru hole on that baffle.

Originally posted by ---k---
              Are you going to be the first (that I know of) to build these ported?

Comment

• nk215
                • Aug 2010

The drivers and x-over components are in.

The woofers and tweeters fit perfectly. There's not even a hair line gap. The cutouts for the mid were about 1mm too small so they'll go back on the router rig.

I bought a box of 2' x 4' x 2" (x6) compressed fiberboard for the cabinets. That should be enough for a few more speakers to come.

Originally posted by ---k---
                You do need to chamfer out the backside of the drivers (especially the mid) so that the driver can breath. You should use your router for that.

Can we talk you out of the tube amp???
                I'll chamfer out the backside when I get the holes drilled out for driver screws. Since the tweeter is sealed, do I need to chamfer that cutout?

Thank you.

Just to me 100% sure. Is this the correct x-over for the In-Khan-Neato? Please note I put in the + and - to make sure that I won't mess them up.
                Attached Files

Comment

• ---k---
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Nov 2005

Yes, that is the correct crossover and wiring.
                  - Ryan

Comment

• Dean100
                    • Jan 2007

No, you do not need to chamfer the tweeter cutout.

Comment

• nk215
                      • Aug 2010

the x-overs are done. Please check, when you have time, to see if I wired the thing correctly.

Next step is the foam. Is 2" compressed fiber glass in 3 sides (back and sides) too much for the cabinet? I don't have anything thinner at the moment.

I messed up my of my baffles by chamfering the wrong face
                      Attached Files

Comment

• ---k---
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by nk215
                        I messed up my of my baffles by chamfering the wrong face
                        I've done that too. :T My last project, I cut the baffle three times before I got it right.
                        - Ryan

Comment

• johngalt47
                          • Apr 2007

Who makes that rig you use with the router?

Comment

• nk215
                            • Aug 2010

It's the old Rockwell/Delta radial arm saw. I just took off the motor and mount the router there. The router rotates +90/-90 so I can cut just about any chamfer angle or a V-cut with a regular straight bit.

Originally posted by johngalt47
                            Who makes that rig you use with the router?

Comment

• nk215
                              • Aug 2010

Well, I finally got the speakers assembled and painted.

I hanged them on the master bedroom wall (20x20x9 connected to a sitting area of about 15x15x8). The speakers sound great. I use a tube amplifier (34w/channel) to drive the speakers and they can play very loud in the room.

I’ll definitely build the In-Khans-Neato again.

Thanks to ---k--- and cjd for providing a high quality wall-mountable speaker design. I believe there is still no commercial wall mountable speaker with similar quality at any (reasonable) price.

Comment

• ---k---
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Nov 2005

Originally posted by nk215
                                I use a tube amplifier (34w/channel) to drive the speakers
                                :E

Just joking. I'm glad you are enjoying them. But, we need completed photos to prove you've actually completed them.
                                - Ryan

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"