X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Deward Hastings
    • Dec 2006

Beginner tools and techniques

The “Newbie help with MTM and Morel tweeter” thread leads me to suspect that when Steve gets back from vacation there will be questions about “beginner tools”. Although there is a “tool” thread in the reference section

it might be a bit overwhelming for a beginning speaker builder with no plans to set up a full woodworking shop who still needs to cut baffles for pre-made boxes. Thinking that we’ve got two weeks to get ready here are some of my thoughts for a start . . .

NECESSARY TOOLS (well, sort of . . . you can make a perfectly serviceable baffle with a keyhole saw and a rasp if you have time and patience)

There is good news . . . you do not need to spend a fortune or buy “the best”. Relatively inexpensive “homeowners” tools will last you through dozens of speaker projects . . . if you wear them out more power to you, then it’s time to look for “quality”. I’ll assume you have at least a cordless drill, a hammer, a handsaw, and screwdrivers and chisels etc. If you have hands you should have hand tools. What you may not have but will need (or need access to) for that “first build” includes:

A Shopvac.
    This is the most important tool in the shop, even if it’s a temporary “camp shop” in the driveway. Nobody should be without one. Get a good (HEPA) filter . . . most of them come with filters that are not good enough, so make sure there is a HEPA filter available for whatever you buy, and get one.

A Workbench
    Probably the second most important tool, so it’s odd that I’m recommending a $15 (often on “in store” sale for $10) piece of junk from Harbor Freight, but it’s handy and it works and you can put it away. You can sacrifice the work surface without feeling bad. Black and Decker makes a slightly better one (the original “Workmate”) for a lot more money.
    Folding Clamping Workbench
    47844-4VGA

bar clamps
    any woodworker will tell you that it’s impossible to have too many clamps. Woodworkers are given to understatement. Get what you need, then get a few more. Go crazy. You can probably get by with four for a start (if you get the right four). Regularly on sale at HF. There are lots of different kinds . . . a real man has lots of each. Get the lengths you need. Too long works better than too short, but a four foot clamp on a nine inch box gets in the way of everything. Some examples:
    24” 38183-1VGA
    18” ratchet 46808-8VGA

a plunge router
    you don’t need an expensive one . . . Harbor Freight (the 2.5 HP one anyway) or Ryobi actually work fine. The $250 ones work better. If you build 5 speakers that’s $15-20 per hole. The $5 holes from a $80 tool (which can still make thousands of holes before it wears out) are just as holy. Go figure . . .

router bits
    ¼ and ½ straight cut, ¼ spiral upcut, edge trim, ½ roundover.
    Sets usually have lots of bits you’ll never use, but individual bits mount up fast in price. You generally won’t find a spiral bit in an inexpensive set, but the smallest set that contains the others will probably save money

circle cutting guides
    Jasper Jigs. Get the small one first, but you’ll need the big one for your subwoofer.

A drill guide
    HF calls it an “angle drill guide”, 95622-2VGA. Mine is over 30 years old (before Harbor Freight existed . . . you can find versions of the things everywhere), has lost its springs and chuck key (it’s that old), and has been banged and bent enough that it vibrates when used. I should get a new one. I can’t recall ever using it to drill at an angle. I can’t reliably drill a hole straight and square without it (or the drill press). It is important that the guide pin hole for the Jasper Jig be straight and square.

THE SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT THING THAT NO ONE EVER TELLS YOU

Use a backing board when you route a baffle. Run a piece of scrap a bit bigger than your holes the length of the baffle. Screw or nail it (brad nails work fine . . . pick a length that won’t go through the baffle) on (in places the router won’t hit) to the back of the baffle and to each piece (hole) that’s going to come out of the baffle. That way you don’t lose your center when using a circle cutting guide, and mess up the hole. You can clamp to the backing board if you use the folding clamping workbench mentioned above, and sacrifice the surface of the backing board, not the work table, when you through cut. It makes the otherwise difficult much easier. Be careful when you pull it off . . . the nail holes in the back of the baffle don’t matter.

Things that people do tell you, but which bear repeating are, in no particular order:

Always test your settings on a piece of scrap. It is much less embarrassing to measure too many times than it is to cut a hole a quarter inch too big, or a panel a quarter inch too short.

Self adhesive shelf paper protects your finished, or to be finished, surfaces. You can write notes to yourself on it. It is much easier than sanding and refinishing.

If you use a clamping work table it’s easy to “batch” each cut, which reduces tool setup and makes for uniform results. If you’re doing two speakers you’d have your setup piece and the two finish pieces ready, and do each cut three times.

Take more small cuts rather than a few big cuts.

When doing roundovers or edge trim it sometimes helps to clamp pieces of scrap to the entry and exit edges so the tool is off the workpiece (but still guided) before it stops cutting. This avoids splitting and sniping.

A machinist friend once told me “the cut is the least of it . . . you spend your time on setup before the cut, or crying after the cut. Take your pick.”

Sanding pads are handy, and you can wash and re-use them. They’re good for removing calluses, too . . .
  • JoshK
    • Mar 2005

Nice post. Very worthwhile and succinct. Thanks for taking the time!

Comment

• impala454
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2007

Just a thought to add on routing holes, MDF dust makes great kindling, and a high rpm router makes a ton of heat. I have had a few nice, glowing, smoking bits of MDF after a cut . Take it slow, I often go backtrack a little to give the bit a second to cool and clear out the trench of dust left behind.
      -Chuck

Comment

• fbov
        • Jun 2008

I've been somewhat surprised router cutting depth suggestions. I never go more than 1/4" at a time, so baffle holes in 3/4" are 3 passes, but I rarely have to backtrack. Done carefully, you can leave a thin layer for last and have very little to trim when the hole lets go.

I like Deward's backing scrap idea ... makes this last part moot.

Frank

Comment

• mikela
          • Mar 2008

I just use a variation on Deward's theme. I counter sink 2 drywall screws through the front of the baffle into the underlying sacrificial MDF. I also drill a larger hole in the underlying MDF so the Jasper pin is easy to extract.

Mike

Comment

• tylerdurden
            • May 2008

Originally posted by fbov
            I've been somewhat surprised router cutting depth suggestions. I never go more than 1/4" at a time, so baffle holes in 3/4" are 3 passes, but I rarely have to backtrack. Done carefully, you can leave a thin layer for last and have very little to trim when the hole lets go.

I like Deward's backing scrap idea ... makes this last part moot.

Frank
            I second this. Always do your roundovers in multiple passes as well. Saves your bits and machine. Makes a nicer product as well. Keep your bit bearings clean and well lubed and they will last alot longer.
            Great guide. Good info!!
            Bobby

Comment

• Fronn
              • May 2008

After having a bit of trouble getting my router to work with small hole cuts, I ended up doing them manually (for now -- will redo the baffle later on).

My router essentially makes it impossible to use a jasper jig on a hole smaller than slightly over 7", at least I can't figure out a smooth way of doing it, which means it's basically useless for normal speakers. How do you guys cut holes that are smaller than the diameter of the surround on your router?

How do you reliably cut the <6" holes?

Comment

• zacjones
                • Mar 2007

I had the same problem with my router in that I can't push the pin up past the jig because the router covers many of the holes.

So I just drill a hole the length of the pin minus the thickness of the jig through the baffle and into the scrap piece underneath. This gives the pin just enough purchase on the jasper jig so that it stays steady through the passes.

Comment

• tylerdurden
                  • May 2008

I just recently did some small holes. about 2" diameter and 3 3/4". I ended up just freehanding them. Made a circle with my compass and followed the line. They turned out pretty good.

Comment

• bobhowell
                    • Jul 2008

Small holes 1-3&quot; odd sizes.

I inherited a set of old bits for a brace, and bought a brace for $20 a while back. This set included a variable bit with two cutters that cover every thing between about 1 to 3. The limit is your ability to set it and your arm power. It works great in MDF for a few holes. Fine for a set of speakers. I have used them for years making chairs.

My grandfather gave me one of these bits in the 50's so I have experience using it. It only works in soft wood in sizes over about 2 inches. I am working from memory here and traveling, so I may be of in the size range. I just used it to make a vent hole for a pair of ZBM4 and a piece of 1" id plastic pipe that was about 1-5/16" OD. Got a tight fit in MDF and rounded over the end with a 1/4 " router bit for a custom vent, as I have seem suggested several places.

Hand tools are great for many small projects.

Bob

Comment

• JonP
                      • Apr 2006

Great thread for those just getting started.

I'm a "do the last hole cut pass 1/16" from all the way thru" kind of guy myself. Either way works... :W

I thought of a good tool to have, and good ol' Harbor Freight makes it cheap... about $12-15. Get a digital caliper. It's one of those things you'll wonder how you did without, for measuring ANYTHING accurately... but very handy for shop and woodworking kinds of work.

Measure the exact thickness of that driver flange, for a perfect countersink, and checking the router bit depth? Measure the driver diameter as well for the hole size? (might be worth spending a bit more for a 8" than the 6") Converting on the fly from standard to metric? Hit the button.. I've even just used it like a calculator to convert measurments. Stuff like determining the diameter of a wood screw between the threads, to pick the right size drill bit, or, picking up an unmarked drill bit and knowing what size it is... you'll be discovering all kinds of uses for it.

Comment

• tylerdurden
                        • May 2008

Originally posted by JonP
                        Great thread for those just getting started.

I'm a "do the last hole cut pass 1/16" from all the way thru" kind of guy myself. Either way works... :W

I thought of a good tool to have, and good ol' Harbor Freight makes it cheap... about $12-15. Get a digital caliper. It's one of those things you'll wonder how you did without, for measuring ANYTHING accurately... but very handy for shop and woodworking kinds of work.

Measure the exact thickness of that driver flange, for a perfect countersink, and checking the router bit depth? Measure the driver diameter as well for the hole size? (might be worth spending a bit more for a 8" than the 6") Converting on the fly from standard to metric? Hit the button.. I've even just used it like a calculator to convert measurments. Stuff like determining the diameter of a wood screw between the threads, to pick the right size drill bit, or, picking up an unmarked drill bit and knowing what size it is... you'll be discovering all kinds of uses for it.
                        I dont know what I would do without my caliper. I dont have a digital one but I love it none the less. Excellent tool to have. :T

Comment

• kizm0
                          • Jul 2009

Why isn't this stickied?

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"