Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brijenjas
    • Nov 2006

Removing veneer ; paperbacked

I recently retrieved my mini statements from my brother who was storing/using them while I tried out some different speakers. He had them about 2 years.

When I got them back I realized I don't like the color/veneer that I put on them very much, so I plan on removing the old veneer and putting some new veneer on the MDF cabinets, and maybe some solid wood corner inserts.

This veneer was applied with Heat Lock and finished with lacquer.
    I plan on using a heat gun and scraper to remove the old veneer and glue.

Has anyone here done/tried/accomplished veneer removal from MDF?

Will the heat lock/veneer pull off the MDF in chunks, or does it just pull of a little bit making the MDF slightly pockmarked or fuzzy?

All tips, pointers and suggestions are welcome.
    Thanks,
    Brian
  • PMazz
    • May 2001

Unless the veneer is bubbling from poor adhesion, I would just strip off the lacquer and veneer over what's there. You'll wind up with a real mess if you try to remove the old stuff.
    Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• Bill Schneider
      • Sep 2007

One...

Two...

Three...

Four...

Just make sure your blade is sharp when you begin, and look for signs that the harder glue layer might require some re-sharpening as you progress.
      My audio projects:
      http://www.afterness.com/audio

Comment

• brijenjas
        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by PMazz
        Unless the veneer is bubbling from poor adhesion, I would just strip off the lacquer and veneer over what's there. You'll wind up with a real mess if you try to remove the old stuff.
        Yep, That was my first thought, but unfortunately there are some bubbles on the sides, it has to come off.

Comment

• brijenjas
          • Nov 2006

What kind of planes are you using Bill? Easy as 1-2-3-4 LOL

Looks like that veneer was applied with yellow glue?

Comment

• craigk
            • Dec 2007

if it has to come off try a heat gun.

Comment

• Bill Schneider
              • Sep 2007

Originally posted by brijenjas
              What kind of planes are you using Bill? Easy as 1-2-3-4 LOL

Looks like that veneer was applied with yellow glue?
              Yes, it was yellow glue - Titebond.

The jack plane is a 1960 Sears Craftsman that belonged to my father. They can be had for ~$35 or so when they come up for sale. The shorter plane is a Lie Nielsen low angle smoother. It was new, and I wanted to make it earn its keep. They cost a little more. I probably didn't need to use it.

Seriously though, a used Stanley #5 jack plane will get the job done in about 15 minutes. You'll work up a little sweat doing it.

To sharpen the blades, many users tape sandpaper to a piece of plate glass. Search for the "scary sharp" method.
              My audio projects:
              http://www.afterness.com/audio

Comment

• PMazz
                • May 2001

If you have a router you could try a 2 flute straight bit. Set the depth to just the thickness of the veneer. Make passes that leave a narrow strip of veneer for the router base to ride on. Take the rest off with a chisel or make a "sled base" for your router which is just a temporary base with two pieces of material bonded to either side of the thru hole for the bit. To use it just set the bit depth flush with the sleds.
                Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• PassingInterest
                  • Mar 2010

I hope I'm not too late with a reply.
                  You've received good advice already and yes, if you plane, make sure your blades are sharp.
                  On the other hand, if you want to heat-and-peel, the blade needn't be particularly sharp.
                  A reasonably good edge that isn't real sharp is a good way to go, to avoid digging into the MDF.
                  I have done the heat and peel method and if the veneer isn't coming up easily with the scraper, stop scraping for a moment and let the heat do the work of softening the glue.
                  You will be amazed at how easy the veneer peels off once the heat softens the glue.
                  And you will know if you are scraping too fast for the heat, because it will become difficult to scrape off and that means you need more heat (higher setting) or more heat-time.

I hope this helps.

Comment

• brijenjas
                    • Nov 2006

I tried a some heat and scrape this weekend. Once I got under the veneer initially, which took a while, a lot of it came off fairly easy. I had to peel pieces of the Heat Lock layers off after I peeled off what veneer I could.

Now , where the end grain is and at the round-over ,the Heat lock has a tenacious grip on both the MDF and the veneer.
                    Even the spots where I got the veneer off the end grain, the Heat Lock has penetrated the MDF pretty good.

I have ordered a jack plane, thanks Bill Schneider for giving me a good reason to finally get one . Hopefully I'll have the plane by the weekend and I'll try that technique next. I'll try to remember to take some pics and post them.

Thank you all for the suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"