X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ntruder
    • Jan 2010

Overnight Sensations build thread

Kudos to Paul on the excellent design; I originally built these for a pretty large room, but elected to go with the MTM version instead, so the TM ONS's are my new surround sound speakers, and DAMN do they sound great! The jump in sound quality over my previous rear surround speakers is enormous.

But before they could go in the HT room, they needed better cabinets, and by better I mean perfect.

I initially built a set of cabinets, but I really rushed them, and they turned out pretty bad. To make a long story short, I kept missing the router cuts by like 1/16" and the holes weren't the right size (which is exactly why you should do practice cuts on scrap wood before routing your panels. Anyway, I ended up making the front panels literally 3 times, and by the third time, I was just rushing them like crazy. Rushed the table saw cuts, rushed the router cuts, rushed the gluing, rushed the veneering, rushed the finishing, and they looked like crap. These are being used as my rear speakers (that I don't even see) and I couldn't stand them.

Here is a shot of the original cabinets and crummy, ugly crossovers, and the finished product below

If you look closely, you can see how god-awful the cuts are around the speaker holes. This is what happens when you rush the veneering process

So because I'm a perfectionist, I started over. And this time, I was going to take my time, and do it perfect.

So first thing's first; I bought some printed circuit boards and remade the crossovers perfectly. Even though you never see them, its important to me for some reason that they look professional.

Here is the Xover layout

And here are the finished crossovers (the ones on the right are for the MTM Overnight Sensations that I'll be building in the near future)

When it comes to cabinet construction, the biggest challenge for me is ALWAYS cutting the veneer around the speaker cutouts. So this time, I decided to build a closed box and veneer it BEFORE cutting the speaker holes with the router, then route the veneered boxes. That way, I'll get perfect cuts for the holes and the veneer. The drawback is I can't chamfer the backside of the driver cutouts, but I think its a fair trade-off.

Perfect holes, perfect veneer cuts

Driver fits perfectly, thanks to several test cuts on scrap wood!

Tweeter also fits perfectly

And now comes the finishing. Coat 1 of oil/urethane mix

Coat 1 on both speakers

Coat 2 of oil/urethane mix

Coat 2 complete

2 coats of Semi-gloss Polyurethane applied

Crossovers installed

Aaaaaannnnnndddd....

Finished product!

Flash shows off the Walnut veneer a bit
  • KnightsOfNi
    • Feb 2010

Super nice work.
    I just got some Macassar Ebony veneer to put on my pair.
    Hope they turn out as nice as yours.
    Regards
    Knights

Comment

• Ntruder
      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by KnightsOfNi
      Super nice work.
      I just got some Macassar Ebony veneer to put on my pair.
      Hope they turn out as nice as yours.
      Regards
      Knights
      Nice! That's a really nice wood. Just take your time trimming the veneer; I'm sure that stuff ain't cheap! (and post pictures)

I need a good source of exotic veneers... I always want to buy them in person because they vary so much from sample to sample... I bought two 2x8 sheets of walnut from Woodcraft in a two month time span and they are totally different!

Comment

• ---k---
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2005

Believe it or not, a lot of people are getting their veneer from ebay these days.
        This was posted at PE:

Want a second or third opinion about your speaker cabinet design or other audio related problem? Post your question or comment on the Technical Discussion Board. Hundreds of technicians, engineers, and hobbyists, nationwide read and discuss electronics related questions each week. We welcome your participation
        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"