• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

New HT Room Planning Stage

All,
    We are planning to update our basement. Part of that update will be to construct a HT room in the corner of the basement. :T Below are some facts about the planned room and also what I plan to do in creating the room. We plan to begin within a month or two.

Please provide feedback on the plan. I’ve investigated things like Quietrock, Acoustiblok, etc. But these all are expensive. I’d rather leave money for room treatment after the room is built (best use of funds concept). Please suggest any ideas and improvements for soundproofing and in room sound, along with any tips or things to be prepared for as the project moves along.

Room Facts:
    7' high, 11’ wide by 16’ long, directly under my kids bedrooms
    Rear wall and right wall are foundation walls. These are already framed out with ½” drywall and paneling.
    Two small windows on the rear wall (glass block size). They have wood shutters on them. These knock out most of the light during the day.
    New walls will be the left wall and the projection screen wall.

Room Plans:
    Current walls: Remove paneling on the right and rear walls. Add R20 insulation between drywall and foundation. R13 to be added in between joists and above foundation.
    Ceiling: R19 in between the joists. I’m still figuring out the actual ceiling materials. I’m leaning towards soundboard and drywall, possibly with space in between (like a resilient channel solution). I’m also figuring out how to put in a small PVC pipe so I can pull the HDMI cable across the ceiling to the projector (as well as have a pipe for any future needs). Once the ceiling is done, we plan to put black fabric on it.
    New walls: Staggered stud 2X6 wall construction for the left and projection wall. These will be insulated. Solid oak door into room.

I'm planning on a Wall Damp and Iso Ceiling from ASC (Acoustic Sciences Corp.).

Wiring: Will be wired for 7.1, currently have a 5.1 system. HDMI for the projector.
    Electrical: 20 amp dedicated circuit for electronics. 15 amp dedicated circuit with UPS for the projector. 4 home theater wall sconces for lighting.
    Colors: Black fabric on ceiling, midnight blue on left, right and rear walls. Dark gray on projection screen wall. Burgundy carpet.
    Acoustic Treatments after room built and equipment moved in.

Any input is appreciated.
    Last edited by htsteve; 08 March 2008, 17:57 Saturday.
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

In Full Swing

All,

We've been busy the last couple of weeks. Ultimately we dicided to spend more money in the construction of the room. My wife was the one who encouraged me to spend more there and 'build it right'!

This is the final construction of the room.

Ceiling: Rock wool, resilent channel and perimeter gasket (from Acoustic Sciences Corp, ASC) and 5/8" soundbreak drywall.

New walls: 2X6 staggerred stud, insulation, ASC resilient channel on the inside walls, 5/8" soundbreak drywall. Wall Damp from ASC and regular 5/8" drywall on the ouside of the walls. Blocking between studs to stabilize it.

Foundation Walls: same as new walls except the 2X4 framing was already in place.

Openings: Used acoustic caulk between wall and ceiling panels, all openings. We used about 8 tubes.
    Last edited by htsteve; 07 April 2008, 16:59 Monday.

Comment

• htsteve
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

Pictures

All,

Here are some pictures.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Staggered Stud.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	850264

Name:	Insulation.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	850265

Name:	Channel and gasket on wall.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	850266

Name:	Insulation & Channel on Ceiling.jpg
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	850267

Name:	Left Rear Drywall.jpg
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	850268
      Last edited by theSven; 01 April 2023, 17:27 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• RebelMan
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

How did you determine what the room's dimensions would be? Are you doing all the work yourself? What is your total construction time frame? What have you budgeted for the room project including treatments but excluding any equipment?
        "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• htsteve
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by RebelMan
          How did you determine what the room's dimensions would be? Are you doing all the work yourself? What is your total construction time frame? What have you budgeted for the room project including treatments but excluding any equipment?

RebelMan,

The HT room was part of a larger basement redo. I researched ideal room dimensions for an HT room (I found some 'golden ratios'). I then applied that to the basement I had to work with. Obviously, the ceiling height was fairly fixed. Also, there were two poles I wanted to hide in the walls. It all worked out to 11 ft wide by 16 ft long with 7' ceilings.

I did design, tear out, material acquisition and painting. I'm having the rest done by the pros (framing, mechanical, drywall, electrical, etc.). The basement started clearing out on March 14. I used the next week to clear out and tear out.

Framing started March 24. Framing, electrical, insulation, AV pre wire and drywall took three weeks (this also included the other parts of the basement that were also done). I primed the basement this past weekend. I've been painting this week. Carpet next Monday, finish electrical Tuesday and AV install (projector, screen and calibration) is next Wednesday. Unfortunately, the HT room door is custom size and won't be available until the week after AV install. So end to end about 6 weeks.

As to cost, I will figure that out. Some costs are direct with the HT room. Others are part of the overall basement budget. I'll do a carve out and send you some info.

As to treatments, I will include the acoustic elements of the construction of the HT room. As to in-room room treatments, I plan on doing that after things are complete and analysis is done.

Hope this helps.
          Last edited by htsteve; 17 April 2008, 16:39 Thursday.

Comment

• htsteve
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

New HT Room

All,

The new HT room is up and running. Pictures are attached. All the planning and hard work has paid off. It looks and sounds fantastic. Also made a late addition to the lineup. An opportunity came up to get a Velodyne DD-18 :E . That is the large box on the wall of the theater.
            The acoustic treatments are working very well. Sound inside is awesome and you can't really hear much outside the theater, especially my kids rooms, which are directly above the room.

Name:	HT Corner_Sm.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	1.7 KB
ID:	850441

Name:	HT Front_Sm.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	1.8 KB
ID:	850442

Name:	HT Rear_Sm.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	2.0 KB
ID:	850443

Name:	HT Sub_Sm.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	1.9 KB
ID:	850444
            Last edited by theSven; 01 April 2023, 17:27 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• John Holmes
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Nice job, Steve! Looks great!
              "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"