X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Parsonsk
    • Nov 2004

In Wall and Ceiling Speakers

I’m presently in the planning stages of developing my basement and have a few ideas that I’d like to look at.
    First I want to have all my speakers for the HT in wall and in ceiling...I want things to be as clean and hidden as possible. I can't spend the same amount of money I spent on my 2 channel set up (B&W 804S and rotel) but I’d like good sound and a good HT experience.
    What do you think of in wall and ceiling speakers, do you think you can get a good HT experience or am I fighting a losing battle?

Second, I’m planning on putting all my gear in a closet specifically built for it, again so it's out of site and situated so i have access from the back wires and such in a different room (some may disagree and want to show there's off and that's fine...not me)

What are your thoughts?
    Thanks
  • gd
    • Jan 2003

Strictly my opinion, but...

Building a system to accommodate decor is a mistake, unless:

– you are willing to compromise sound quality to some degree.

– you are willing to spend extra to get higher-end dedicated in-wall speakers that can overcome the deficiences of being trapped in walls... esp true with subs.

– you are willing to employ substantial electronic EQ to overcome some of those deficiencies, and risk further degrading the audio signal.

– you are willing to install potentially noisy cooling fans, or create some sort of ventilation, in your electronics closet.

Good audio generally revolves around speaker interaction within a room... the best and simplest tweak is repositioning the speakers for optimum sound... obviously, this option vanishes with in-walls.

As a general rule, good audio isn't pretty.

Again, strictly my opinion – and certainly a minority one... most people would rather have a nice-looking home (guess I'm not most people)... by all means, there are some mighty attractive HT rooms out there, and many probably go the extra mile to have the best of both worlds.

It can be done, but choose your speakers carefully... check these guys out: http://www.jamesloudspeaker.com/

Happy hunting.
    greg (gd to you)
    Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
    production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• Azeke
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2003

I like these:

Polk Audio In Wall Speakers

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"