X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Heavy-D
    • Dec 2006

Another accoustical treatment thread

I have the links to DIY treatments but can't find out how to treat our listening room. Maybe cause I've worked 12 hours days and just tired. Could I get some help on how to treat a room?

Mark
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Start with light absorption at the first reflection points.

Bass traps are placed in corners and as needed to even out the in room response

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• warnerwh
      • Jan 2006

A good place to start reading is realtraps.com. To start with you want all first reflection points damped. This includes both side walls, floor and ceiling. Then at minimum you want two bass traps, four would be much better. The bass traps should be placed in corners if at all possible because this is where they're typically most effective.

Here's ThomasW's site on construction of various types of treatment: http://home.comcast.net/~thomasw-2/S...ndEQpage9.html
      This place has very good pictures.

The above I mention is really minimum. Remember, reflections were not part of the recording. Also remember all rooms have modes. This depends on what dimensions of your room are. On realtraps.com there's a program for Windows called modecalc. Just enter your dimensions to the nearest inch and it will kick out modes upto about 300hz.

If you want any more help just pm me and I'll be happy to help you. Btw pictures of your room would make it easier.

Once you learn how much good room acoustics help you're going to be very happy you decided to do it. For the money the return on your investment is from good to excellent. No amp, dac or wire will make anywhere near the improvement room treatments will.

Comment

• crackyflipside
        • Nov 2006

Here's a good starter here

Read the stickies here

Read everything here also

Here's another good read
        -Chris B

;x( DIY

Comment

• Heavy-D
          • Dec 2006

Thanks for the response, will take pics. We have a brick fireplace taking up 1/3 of a wall, this has to be treated.

Comment

• crackyflipside
            • Nov 2006

Oh yeah, here is the BEST room modes calculator I have ever used.

It tells you alot more than the standard room mode calculators talked about here. http://www.bobgolds.com/Mode/RoomModes.htm
            -Chris B

;x( DIY

Comment

• warnerwh
              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Heavy-D
              Thanks for the response, will take pics. We have a brick fireplace taking up 1/3 of a wall, this has to be treated.
              Depending on where it's at will determine whether or not you need to treat it. This can be dangerous for obvious reasons. I have a fireplace in my room but it's in a place where there's no reason for treatment. Here's a pic of the front of my rack but as you can see there's alot of absorption behind my system. It goes five feet out on both side walls and ceiling. It is 3" and 4" thick acoustic wedge foam. I've also got a bass trap in each corner.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rack.gif
Views:	223
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	847194

Obviously I couldn't get away with this much treatment in my living room. However there's other ways that are much more visually desireable. You can use rigid fiberglass covered with fabric. If I had to put my system in a living room I'd build a false wall with bass traps and room treatment in it. This is exactly what we will do for a good friend of mine. His wife has ok'd the fabric already.

This may seem extreme to many but the sound quality is outstanding. I had the same system in another house with very little treatment. When I built this room I decided to do the best I could with what I knew. It was worth every penny and every minute. It just amazed me how much better the exact same system sounded. Hopefully we can do the same for you. Not to be getting too personal but are you married or have a SO?
              Last edited by theSven; 01 April 2023, 16:47 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"