X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jazznsoccer
    • Apr 2004

Serious room treatment effort

Hi all,

I’d like to thank all on this board :T for all of the great insight on gear. It’s been great and I’ve had a lot of fun with the setup. After using some nice gear for a while, the next step is to make sure the room acoustics are maximized prior to thinking about the next steps in upgrades.

I just received my Behringer DEQ2496 and EMC 8000 microphone to use for optimizing the room acoustics and equalizing the subwoofer. All measurements were taken in a stereo direct mode so only the main speakers were active.

I used the Behringer gear as a real time analyzer and got the chart labeled RTA

https://www.htguide.com/forum/attach...tid=6465&stc=1.

The chart was fairly flat above 280 hertz (although I’d like to get it flatter) and there is probably a dB or two of error in the measurements as the level does jump around a bit (for reference I used the pink noise tone played on a CD I burnt using the file track 58 from this site http://www.binkster.net/extras.shtml).

I also used the Behringer gear as an SPL meter (C weighting, slow response) and took measurements while playing the real traps website test tones from 10 to 300 HZ at 1 Hz intervals. That plot is labeled SPL.

I have played around a little with speaker placement and toe in, but I was unable to address of the nasty null points at 160 – 200 Hz. I’d like to get the room dialed in before equalizing the sub since I use the sub for LFE in home theater mode only. The B&W 802Ds are excellent in the pure stereo mode which is the higher priority.

Just a note: I have set the speaker levels using the Arcam functions but have not done any equalization. I’d rather avoid equalization above 80 Hz if I can avoid it.

Background info:

Room size and layout:

Basic dimensions Length = 22 feet 7 inches; Width = 17 feet; and Ceiling height = 8 feet, 11 inches. The room has a deep plush carpet with thick padding over concrete. Walls and ceiling are 5/8 inch drywall, fiberglass filled. Walls have 2x6 studs with exterior plywood sheathing.

Opposite the gear are three leather recliner loveseats arranged in an arc. My prime listening spot is in the center loveseat.

The left short wall has an 11 foot open arch into the next room which has ceramic tile floor. The left short wall has 6 foot wide by 8 foot tall French doors with heavy curtains. In the right front corner are two 4 foot wide by 5 foot tall windows. One on the front wall and one on the right short wall.

I have my gear along a long wall. The speakers are B&W 802D and are located 40 inches from the back wall and 65 inches from the side wall. (distances are measured to the center front of the woofer drivers. The speakers are about 11 & ½ feet apart. I've posted a layout as an attachment. I really can't arrange the room with the speakers along a short wall.

I have a Denon 3910 universal player; an Arcam AV8 pre pro; and Earthquake Cinenova 5 amp (300 wpc at 8 ohm; 600 wpc into 4 ohm). I have B&W 802D main speakers, an HTM2D center, SCMs for surround, and an Earthquake Mark V – 15 subwoofer.

================================================== ==

Now for the tough part - what kind of acoutistic treatment to add?

I am proposing to add some 2" thick Dow Corning 705 rigid fiberglass mounted paper side out at 45 degrees to form a "chamfer" at the back wall/ceiling juncture. At 22.5 feet long this will give about 45 sq ft of absorber. I'd also plan to cover the back wall with fabric over 1" thick cotton batting to give plenty of high bass/mid damping & diffusion. I'm hoping that will smooth out the nulls (especially at 278 Hz) by trapping rear wall reflections. I'm not planning anything for the ceiling since I don't want to make the room too dead acoustically.

But this probably won't do anything to get at that nasty peak in the 30 Hz zone. In fact that peak really surprised me given the left wall is almost completely open. After running some calculations, this has got to be almost exclusively the axial mode at the room width of 17 feeet. About the only thing I could think of would be a panel trap, but the numbers on designing that are pretty daunting since I'd need a really massive (>3 lbs/sq ft) panel. Any suggestions?

Looking at this chart, I'm thinking I DON'T need a sub for movies! :W

Also, I was thinking about laying some bass traps at the bottom of the long wall/floor junction but was wondering if having these behind the loveseats on the floor would significantly impact their effectiveness.

By the way, does anyone know of a pink noise file in 5.1 format? :B Maybe the response will even out with more speakers.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by theSven; 01 April 2023, 17:24 Saturday. Reason: Update htguide url
  • grit
    • Jan 2005

i can offer you no help whatsoever, but i'm anxiously awaiting any responses you get. Please share anything else you learn.

Comment

• Bob
      • Jul 2000

I took a look at your diagram. To bad the doors leading to the outside are on the wall to the right. I'm pretty sure that if you could turn your whole layout 90° it would be a better soundwise.
      I think you are wasting your time with covering the front wall (I know you said back but, I beleive you meant behind the speakers which is your front wall) as you propose. Call either Real Traps or ASC and talk to them. I beleive you need bass traps in all four corners, and maybe two Micro Traps where the wall meets the ceiling behind your speakers and maybe where they meet behind your sitting position. Also, why not put book cases behind your sitting position for diffusion?

Comment

• jazznsoccer
        • Apr 2004

Thanks for the thoughts.

Actually, I did mean the back wall (behind the seating) since the front wall is already broken up by the TV (Sony 70XBR950). The bookcase is actually the CD & DVD case so it should be close to the gear.

I agree diffusion on th back wall would be nice - and I expect I'll get some of that from the cotton batting.

I've looked at the real traps site (and a number of Ethan Winer's web postings) but didn't see anything for the 30 Hz region.

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

To obtain the best results from this kind of testing, one should avoid using continuous pink noise and instead use a gated time measurement. MLS (maximum length sequence) is one type of this measurement.

Software programs like TrueRTA, ETF 5.0, JustMLS are examples of programs that do this kind of testing.

The 1/6th octave RTA in the DEQ is designed for use with it's built in Auto-EQ function. The Auto-EQ mode is when the DEQ's built-in pink noise generator functions.

If you buy a Behringer UB802 mixer it works as both a phantom power supply for the ECM8000 and a mic preamp. When combined with a duplex operation PC soundcard one has a very good measurement system for taking gated time measurements.

Cotton batting provides absorption only, it will not 'diffuse' anything.

The 'demo room' webpage from ETF is a good starting point.

Below is some info I put together.
          Last edited by ThomasW; 24 May 2006, 11:27 Wednesday.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• jazznsoccer
            • Apr 2004

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the great links - I have seen some of your stuff before (and it's been absolutely fantastic information) and I'll dig into the ETF demo stuff.

What I find challenging is figuring out what to do about the 30 - 35 Hz peak. Anything above 100 Hz I think will be smoothed out with 705 fiberglass in the rear wall/side wall corners.

You're right about the cotton batting being an absorber only. But I'm hoping that absorbing along the back wall should give good sonic performance and that additional diffusion will not be necessary. Am I wrong here?

And I hope the rear wall cotton batting will not drive the RT60 too low. Any thoughts on that? Or is this just a trial and measure kind of thing?

I guess the ultimate question is how flat of a room response curve is reasonably attainable (practical)?

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Virtually any peak can be flattened with the EQ.

Given the relatively poor in-room bass response I'd start by trying other positions in the room. One testing method is to place the sub in the listening position, then go to various spots in the room testing for the location of the flattest response.

The room pic and text is so small I can't tell how close the listener's head is to the rear wall. The location of the listener's head to the rear wall determines whether or not one uses diffusions or absoption.

Are there heavy drapes on the windows?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• jazznsoccer
                • Apr 2004

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the reply.

So far the bass response is from the main speakers only (B&W N802D). I wanted to "dial-in" 2 channel response first before even trying the sub since I only use the sub (earthquake Mark V-15) for LFE effects. I plan to use the Behringer to EQ the sub after I get the room treatment figured out. I suppose I could pick up another Behringer to EQ the mains but that would be a last resort.

What is a reasonable target to shoot for in treating a room? +/- 5 dB?

There is about 4.5 feet from the head position to the rear wall. I tried pulling the seating out another 2 feet but that did not have any significant impact on the response curve ( the RTA on the Behringer really speeds location testing).

The drapes on the windows and over the french doors are heavy and are draped about 50% (i.e. their fully flat length is about twice the width of the opening that they cover).

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

If you want to use it for the sub and the mains, the DEQ has 2 sets of outputs...I don't know how this would impact the SQ

What is a reasonable target to shoot for in treating a room? +/- 5 dB?
                  Moving the mic 12" in any direction can completely change the readings. So the idea is to use them as a guideline not an absolute.

With 4.5' then you have adequate spacing for a real diffuser. The easiest /cheapest one are skyline types made with 2"X2"s

Here's a calculator for desiging them.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• jazznsoccer
                    • Apr 2004

Thanks Thomas - that's good info.

I have taken multiple reading moving the mic across the seating area and about 18 inches behind and in front of the current seating area to get a map of the area. But I'd like to get my seating spot dialed in the best (after all I'm the one paying the bills :rofl: ).

Comment

• JKalman
                      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by jazznsoccer
                      Thanks for the thoughts.

Actually, I did mean the back wall (behind the seating) since the front wall is already broken up by the TV (Sony 70XBR950). The bookcase is actually the CD & DVD case so it should be close to the gear.

I agree diffusion on th back wall would be nice - and I expect I'll get some of that from the cotton batting.

I've looked at the real traps site (and a number of Ethan Winer's web postings) but didn't see anything for the 30 Hz region.
                      The TV won't break anything significant up (one frequency and partially on multiples of that frequency, but only on that particular axial of the room), it will reflect a lot though.

A cotton batting won't diffuse anything, it might help with slap echo, etc.

To treat 30 Hz it would have to be one of the fundamental axial modes for your room and you would have to place something that can absorb the 30 Hz frequency in the four corners from the floor to the ceiling. Even that will not do much to the 30 Hz reinforced resonance since that is a part of the room's modes/character. The reason people constuct rooms from scratch to specific ratios is so they can distribute these modes well enough to approximate an equalized frequency response since you can't do anything significant to sound waves below 300 Hz, except use a parametric EQ.

Sorry if I am repeating things already said.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"