X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

NatalieP DA- revisiting a popular design with a new tweeter

This started off more as a "What if?", and then progressed to a "Why not?" sort of deal... it's too bad the original RS28a tweeter went away, but we do have some alternatives these days that are interesting...

So why not combine most elements of the classic design from ET with the relatively new Peerless DA25TX008? or at least investigate the possibility, so that their are more fun budget builds to choose from...

I mean, we all know the old saying about the world doesn't need anther 6-1/2" two way, but they still keep popping up now and then... but an MTM is different, right? Yes?

Well, maybe not, but then for those of that mind, just consider this a short trip down memory lane, with a little twist... (it's ironic that the updated version of the RS180-8 is not in stock, but the original shielded version is.

So, this is going to be a little like a wedding dress- something old, (2009 RS180-8 data) and something new (recent DA25TX008 data), and for fun, let's just see how well this all works out, with a few tricks thrown in that weren't in use back in the time of the original Natalie P.

But, as I'm as much a nostalgia fan as you might expect for someone of my "maturity", we're going to keep the "interesting" series crossover concept of the original, just tweak it for a few more optimizations.

And so, let's take a look at what a fairly brief amount of time on one of the older Mac Pro's resulted in:

First, the somewhat updated schematic- biggest addition is an ultra sonic notch filter for the DA25 tweeter (the RS28a could have used that, too, but we weren't looking closely that high in the frequency range back in 2009 or so...)

Click image for larger version  Name:	RS180-8 Shielded XO-schema-1.png Views:	1 Size:	23.6 KB ID:	872618

So, with a very small number of component tweaks, we can wind up with a pretty nice curve- and remember, the bump at 3kHz in the measured DA25 reposes is basically a cabinet diffraction issue, which can be fixed acoustically. The driver measurements were made in the PE cabinets for the woofers, and with a similar size baffle for the DA25.

Click image for larger version  Name:	NatalieP-DA SPL.jpg Views:	1 Size:	59.8 KB ID:	872619

The impedance plot is pretty much what you'd expect- one might even say, "boring", which is a good thing...

Click image for larger version  Name:	NatalieP-DA Impedance.jpg Views:	1 Size:	52.2 KB ID:	872620

The reverse null behavior is excellent, like the original, so I'll skip over to the filter behavior plot:

Click image for larger version  Name:	NatalieP-DA Filter.jpg Views:	1 Size:	58.3 KB ID:	872621

Part of the success of the original implementation for the NatalieP was having a bit more LF BSC boost than you might theoretically expect would be needed, but when one examines the raw reposes of the RS180's in the PE cab, you can see why that's of benefit. Here, the notch filter behavior is displayed clearly- precision for the component values is mandatory to get this well controlled response.

So, what next?

I do have one or two of the original size PE cabs in storage, though with the baffles cut out for other drivers, so new baffles would need to be fabricated. A pair of these might be a nice intermediate monitor for my music learning/playing studio, though I plan to do a line array for that before too long.

Obviously, these calculated and simulated component values need to be checked out in hardware, but I though it might be interesting to share the concept with the forum in case anyone else is curious about this approach or needs an MTM system like this- and has measuring gear.

Because of the size of the DA25, it's not likely to drop into an existing NatP build, though I don't know for certain that's not possible. Unfortunately PE doesn't have a knock down enclosure available now, or I'd built up a rough prototype to try out. I'll have to swing by the storage units sometime and see just how hard to access the cabinets I have are at this point...
    Last edited by theSven; 21 February 2023, 21:35 Tuesday. Reason: Remove translation links that are broken
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....
  • dwk
    • Apr 2005

Interesting revival. I realize this was likely undertaken as it was 'easy' to pull existing data, but I'm wondering whether the RS180 still stands up compared to something like the SB17NBAC (or CAC if you're sure ET won't see them) if you were starting from scratch. Of course, that's no longer a 'revisit'

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Very good points- and I even have those drivers on hand! Well, sort of… buried in climate control storage unit that cram packed since the move from the last rental.

But I also have a couple of RS180’s around too, so an interesting and fairly simple endeavor would be to have a measurement shoot out as regards distortion. The 3rd party inspection date for the new house under construction is February 23, so by sometime in March a lot of stuff should be settled and before long I’ll have the ability to organize as I would like and plan… huge amounts of deferred gratification here! And technically, I will have a 3 car tandem garage with the addition of a 3rd Bay to the side- I’d count that more as a 3-1/2 car garage, but it does give one room. And I plan a workshop/storage unit build, too, later next year. (Hopefully)

Of course, many a slip twixt the cup and the lip, as Willie the Shake would say, but so far my “long bets” are working out.

Make a plan, and work the plan…
      the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Obi-Wan
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• tktran
        • Jan 2005

Nice update Jon! I bet it sounds great and suit 90% of most listeners.

I've been curious in the Peerless DA25TX008 too, but never got around to implementing it, probably mainly because I was turned off by the large face plate. But it does seem to measure very well and can suit a low XO point.

What are your thoughts about this waveguide business? Is there any advantages or disadvantages, particularly in the off-axis dispersion?
        My own interpretation is that they're useful for extending the operating range of a tweeter, so you can cross lower, eg. to 8" or 10" midwoofer, but for tweeter can can cross below 2Khz there's no much point. And certainly if I'm going to be using a 4" or lower midrange, unnecessary.

I come back from the hobby after a decade and it seems every man and his dog wants to use a waveguide. Is it a fad, is it a thing, and I missing out?

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

I'm basically with you on your comments about waveguides. I've done a lot of experimenting in that area, at different times, but also have moved to, shall we say, more "extreme" concepts for wave-guides...

So, a few general thoughts...
          • My first waveguide project after a number of "unpublished expereiments" was the Modula MT XE, which owed the basic concept to one of Zaph's designs using the same woofer, but which used a different waveguide, a different tweeter, a different moutning method, and was targeting some rather specific things.
          • One of those was figuring out how to optimize the tweeter to waveguide interrace so that the response was quite consistent on and off axis, and as much as possible, consistent in level for those different conditions.
          • Many other builds I've seen have response falling off quite a bit off axis, and falling off more at higher frequencies- I only need mention the recent SB product with the Be 29mm dome tweeter and integral waveguide to point out a particularly egregious example.
          • I'm personally more in favor of waveguides to lower the distorion in the normal lower operating range, though with effort a large wavedguide (as used with some commercial speakers can truly extend the operating range.

Here, from the Modula MT XE thread you can see the difference in response profile with and without the MCM waveguide for the Discovery series tweeter...

And here you can see the on and off axis behavior, in 15 degree increments. Perhaps not ideal, but getting to where I hoped things might be. And much better than the "stock" tweeter.

And the distortion behavior was very credible for these components:

Now, Steve and I developed a nice waveguide for the RS28a...

so of course, shortly afterwards PE discontinued it. And the replacement from PE just doesn't work nearly as well.

One of the principles I've noticed in general is that tweeters with wide surrounds are rather problematic for waveguide applications- the coupling to the throat at high frequencies suffered, I believe, as shown with the integrated SB part, which uses a tweeter with a very wide surround.

Which, of course, might lead one to ponder how a tweeter with an exceptionally narrow surround might do... perhaps a BlieSMa?

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7086SS.jpg Views:	3 Size:	36.7 KB ID:	866376

And initial results are encouraging, with excellent high frequency tracking- but information cross licensing with Evil Twin means I cannot reveal more now, until he has finished his development work!

So, for waveguide applications, what I currently have in storage (for when the space and time becomes available) I have several compression drivers and waveguides, one of the most interesting items being the NSD1480N,

and the NSD1095.

A less expensive combo that works well is the DE990TN with the 18 Sound XT1464, a very nice waveguide.

HD3 is certainly commendably low at SPL's that are fairly uncomfortable!

Note, some similar appearing waveguides like the Fatal LTH142 do not properly load the driver at high frequencies...

Whereas the XT1464 has fairly credible dispersion consistency.

But you cannot neglect the driver, or the waveguide- here is a 3rd party measurement of three different drivers on the XT1464:

Last edited by theSven; 21 February 2023, 21:33 Tuesday. Reason: Updated URLs for htguide
          the AudioWorx
          Natalie P
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Obi-Wan
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

BTW, it’s too bad Kimmo took down all his personal projects and testing from his site, because he had some eye watering tests on compression drivers and waveguides with super low distortion on specific parts- that’s what got ET really jazzed up about pursuing that path, along with some previous experience with Eighteen Sound and a few other Pro parts.
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Obi-Wan
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• augerpro
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2006

Originally posted by JonMarsh
              Which, of course, might lead one to ponder how a tweeter with an exceptionally narrow surround might do... perhaps a BlieSMa?
              Just measured the first version of a T34B waveguide:

Image not available

EDIT: Great, is imgur trying to pull a photo-bucket? See attached.Click image for larger version  Name:	T34B.jpg Views:	1 Size:	104.8 KB ID:	866379
              Last edited by theSven; 07 July 2023, 13:48 Friday. Reason: Update text
              ~Brandon 8O
              Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
              Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
              DriverVault
              Soma Sonus

Comment

• Bear
                Super Senior Member
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by augerpro
                Just measured the first version of a T34B waveguide:

Image not available

EDIT: Great, is imgur trying to pull a photo-bucket? See attached.[ATTACH=CONFIG]31589[/ATTACH]
                Where's the, uh, T25A?
                Last edited by theSven; 07 July 2023, 13:49 Friday. Reason: Update quote
                Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

Comment

• augerpro
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Aug 2006

Soon! I should have it done this week. Only thing holding me back is switching gears from audio yesterday, to college for the next couple days as I finish my final project for Professional Writing. This is the last week for the course.
                  ~Brandon 8O
                  Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
                  Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
                  DriverVault
                  Soma Sonus

Comment

• Bear
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by augerpro
                    Soon! I should have it done this week. Only thing holding me back is switching gears from audio yesterday, to college for the next couple days as I finish my final project for Professional Writing. This is the last week for the course.
                    No worries, and good luck with school!
                    Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

Comment

• DonGalgr
                      • Jan 2022

Just want to chime into this interesting idea and would enjoy building whichever version you come up with. I built a NatalieP with the RS28a and really enjoyed it, till one of the RS180s decided to start making nasty sounds during an especially enthusiastic play of Purple Rain. An MTM to get a bit more from the diy version of the F6 amp would be great. Just received a pair of the DA25TXs to play with, and for use on this. Looking forward to seeing how this comes out. Don

Comment

• JonMarsh
                        Mad Max Moderator
                        • Aug 2000

Well, we'll keep you posted as soon as I have time to get back to this. A shoot out between the RS180 and other driver solutions is planned. That could include SB Acoustics parts and Anarchy woofers.

There is also what we call a Natalie P Ultra in development- and the aluminum cone PuriFi 8 ohm woofers just got listed for ordering- so you can roughly imagine where that is headed. Also, it's intended to use a waveguide setup, most likely with one or the other version of T34. The T34A makes more sense, value proposition wise, as with the right crossover approach the break up peak and resonant mode amplification of distortion products can be dealt with.

I've done EDGE analysis of several driver layout, and the best performing ones are a bit bigger than the original NatP.

This is my favorite so far, and has given the best EDGE results, as regards baffle step behavior.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7248SS.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	866490

The waveguide experiment with the T34A was fairly promising, worked out better than I expected.

Name:	IMG_7086SS.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	866491

Name:	IMG_7090 SS.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	866492

It will be later this year before I can get set up for this, in the spring.
                        the AudioWorx
                        Natalie P
                        M8ta
                        Modula Neo DCC
                        Modula MT XE
                        Modula Xtreme
                        Isiris
                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                        Minerva Monitor
                        Calliope
                        Ardent D

In Development...
                        Obi-Wan
                        Modula PWB
                        Calliope CC Supreme
                        Natalie P Ultra
                        Natalie P Supreme
                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• capslock
                          • Dec 2004

"(it's ironic that the updated version of the RS180-8 is not in stock, but the original shielded version is."

By updated you mean non-shielded? Or was there an update to the motor or cone?

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"