NatalieP - suggestion for out of stock XO components?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • renton
    • May 2007

NatalieP - suggestion for out of stock XO components?

hey again,

Trying to order all of the parts for my XO's. I am using this BOM :https://www.htguide.com/forum/attach...achmentid=6899

Some of the items are out of stock at PE or Madisound. Can anyone give input on whether the replacements I have found are a good option, even though they are all more expensive?

The original is listed first.

PE:
    2.0 uF Dayton cap -- Dayton PMPC-2.0 2.0uF 250V Precision 1%

Madisound: could not find any of the sledgehammer inductors there. These are from PE.

.2mH Sledgehammer -- Jantzen 0.20mH 20 AWG Air Core Inductor ..
    .45mH Sledgehammer -- Jantzen 0.45mH 20 AWG Air Core Inductor ..
    1.2mH Sledgehammer -- Jantzen 1.2mH 18 AWG Air Core Inductor ..

Thanks,
    Last edited by theSven; 21 August 2023, 11:48 Monday. Reason: Update htguide url
  • fjhuerta
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2006

The cap shouldn't be an issue, although IMHO the Precision 1% caps are a bit expensive. PE doesn't have any Solens or Jantzens in stock?

As for the inductors, I'd go for the 14 ~ 15 GA Jantzen / Erse inductors for the 1.2. I'm sure someone else will help you out here, but I believe the 0.20 and 0.45's can be 18GA.
    Javier Huerta

Comment

• augerpro
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2006

Do you really need teh 1% caps? The 5% should be fine, unless it's in a filter that is extremely touchy.

Sledgehammers: http://www.madisound.com/catalog/ind...Path=356_20_29
      ~Brandon 8O
      Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
      Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
      DriverVault
      Soma Sonus

Comment

• renton
        • May 2007

Javier,

Thanks for the suggestions. I found a Solen 2.0 uF, but it is 400V as opposed to 250. Is that okay? I am not totally versed on this stuff yet, so in picking the 1% cap, I was trying to stay as close as possible to all values.

Sorry if these questions are silly. Just really not sure what kind of breathing room there is when piecing this together.

Originally posted by fjhuerta
        The cap shouldn't be an issue, although IMHO the Precision 1% caps are a bit expensive. PE doesn't have any Solens or Jantzens in stock?

As for the inductors, I'd go for the 14 ~ 15 GA Jantzen / Erse inductors for the 1.2. I'm sure someone else will help you out here, but I believe the 0.20 and 0.45's can be 18GA.

Comment

• renton
          • May 2007

Brandon,

Thanks for the link. I found those Sledgehammers, but none are the parts that I need. They don't have any below 1.0mH although they do have 1.25mH. Would that work for the required 1.2mH?

Again, not really sure what will work and not work.

Thanks.

Originally posted by augerpro
          Do you really need teh 1% caps? The 5% should be fine, unless it's in a filter that is extremely touchy.

Sledgehammers: http://www.madisound.com/catalog/ind...Path=356_20_29

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

You would have to unwind it to the correct inductance.

Comment

• renton
              • May 2007

Thanks Dougie085.

I will just suck it up and get the more expensive, but correct replacement parts.

It will only make it better . . . right

Comment

• joecarrow
                • Apr 2005

Originally posted by renton
                Javier,

Thanks for the suggestions. I found a Solen 2.0 uF, but it is 400V as opposed to 250. Is that okay? I am not totally versed on this stuff yet, so in picking the 1% cap, I was trying to stay as close as possible to all values.

Sorry if these questions are silly. Just really not sure what kind of breathing room there is when piecing this together.
                When selecting a capacitor, the voltage refers to the maximum allowable voltage before the capacitor is damaged. Buying the 400v cap instead of the 250 volt cap is totally acceptable.

When buying resistors, it is OK to use a resistor of a higher wattage than is specified. It is also possible to parallel parts to build the parts you need. For example, if you need 1.0 uF capacitors and 2.0 uF capacitors, you can just buy a bunch of 1.0 uF capacitors and put two in parallel to make your 2.0 uF capacitors. This has can have some sonic benefits, and it also allows you to occasionally save some money by reaching price breaks.
                -Joe Carrow

Comment

• renton
                  • May 2007

Joe,

Thanks a ton for the explanation. You just gave me a big "Ahhah, I see" moment.

I was beginning to worry if I was going to be able to find all the parts I needed, but with this info in hand, I should be golden.

thanks again.

ps. This is honestly the mostly helpful forum I have been on - for anything. lots of kudos to this community.

Originally posted by joecarrow
                  When selecting a capacitor, the voltage refers to the maximum allowable voltage before the capacitor is damaged. Buying the 400v cap instead of the 250 volt cap is totally acceptable.

When buying resistors, it is OK to use a resistor of a higher wattage than is specified. It is also possible to parallel parts to build the parts you need. For example, if you need 1.0 uF capacitors and 2.0 uF capacitors, you can just buy a bunch of 1.0 uF capacitors and put two in parallel to make your 2.0 uF capacitors. This has can have some sonic benefits, and it also allows you to occasionally save some money by reaching price breaks.

Comment

• joecarrow
                    • Apr 2005

I'm glad we can help! I definitely learned a lot from forums. Just remember that you need to take things with a grain of salt. Some of the most valuable things I've found in forums have not been replies to my questions, but links to helpful websites. There are a lot of websites out there with a plethora of information to give you a solid foundation to help everything make a lot of sense.
                    -Joe Carrow

Comment

• cjd
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Dec 2004

When selecting inductors, the key is to keep the impedance close to whatever is specified (along with inductance of course)

C
                      diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Dean100
                        • Jan 2007

I recently ordered parts for the Nat P and this is what I ordered for the inductors.

Parts Express
                        255-400 .20mH 15AWG
                        266-355 1.2mH 14AWG

Madisound
                        .45mH 16AWG Sidewinder

Hope this helps

Comment

• renton
                          • May 2007

Thanks guys. Got everything ordered and it should be here the middle of next week. Should probably start my own NatP thread to keep documentation straight.

I can't wait to get started.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"