Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sdl2112
    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by JonMarsh
    Looks just like where you ought to be! :T Nice work on this build! and documenting it, too!

But seeing these kind of results again makes me wonder if perhaps I shouldn't build the TMM concept version of this, perhaps even with the 6640 tweeters, as our music room monitor, in a fresh cabinet build? (instead of the Deluxe NatP concept build to verify the design for Bill). (should do the latter anyway- at least one cabinet- but this build of yours reminds me of all the things I like about the XE, and maybe it's time to revisit that? )
    Thanks for the kind words...but I want to say thank you for offering such a nice design and documentation to the public. The only knock I see with these so far is I want more sound :T. I think the TMM version would solve some of that.

Anyway here's a few more glamor shots I didn't get around to posting yesterday.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0608_sm.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	858675

Name:	DSC_0611_sm.jpg
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	858676

Name:	DSC_0613_sm.jpg
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	858677

Name:	DSC_0614_sm.jpg
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	858678

Comment

• sdl2112
      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by dar47
      Completed vary nicely! How do like the sound? You better have a nice sounding room to take advantage of your planned upgrade.

You guys are killing me, I said I wouldn't touch the XE's but now I'm going to be fighting this next step.
      Thanks...they sound very nice. Very neutral with a nice extended response. One thing I immediately noticed when I was taking pictures was how even the response was off-axis. I would be like 60deg off-axis looking into the lens and my ears were telling me I was listening straight on I also like the tweeter a lot, very smooth and detail, I think some of which is because the dome mass is only 0.18g, about half that of a typical 1" dome.
      Last edited by sdl2112; 09 September 2013, 20:16 Monday.

Comment

• sdl2112
        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by jim1961
        The re-purpose aspect makes a lot of sense, and could save considerable work for your next project. Great planning ahead and foresight Scott!

Have you considered building subs next that would meet the specs for your Accuton build and also integrate with the Modula's ?
        If I go with the bass cabinets they could work with either...I want to listen to these for a little while before I decide what's next.

Comment

• jim1961
          • Nov 2012

I take it that their bass extension is better than the Gemini's ?
          Seek out and destroy early high gain room reflections

Comment

• sdl2112
            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by jim1961
            I take it that their bass extension is better than the Gemini's ?
            Yes they do have better bass extension. The Gemini's are tuned to about 60Hz, the Modula's about 40Hz. I was just listening to Genesis "Firth of Fifth" and could actually hear the deep bass...something I didn't with the Gemini's.

Comment

• wkhanna
              Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

Beautiful!
              That Parasound amp should feed them well.
              _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
              ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• dar47
                • Nov 2008

Originally posted by sdl2112
                If I go with the bass cabinets they could work with either...I want to listen to these for a little while before I decide what's next.
                I'm with you I just listened for a while. My room looks like a similar size and a year later I placed this next to a couch, to take it up a notch and fill in the bottom. I cross at 60 Hrz,

Name:	P1010058.webp
Views:	63
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	934866

friends have said with the sub it's more then enough.
                Last edited by theSven; 01 May 2023, 21:22 Monday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Juhazi
                  • May 2008

dar47, is that L26ROY ported or sealed? If sealed, do you use low end boost? I have just made (S)W "stands" with same drivers, sealed in 25 liter+polyfill. The amount of boost depends on placement very much, but fortunately I use minidsp for the whole system. SW-plate amp with adjustable gain and phase should do the job very well with a passive MT speaker.
                  My DIY speaker history: -74 Philips 3-way, -82 Hifi 85B, -07 Zaph L18, -08 Hifitalo AW-7, CSS125FR, -09 MarkK ER18DXT, -13 PPSL470Dayton, -13 AINOgradient, -18 Avalanche AS-1 dsp, -18 MR183w

Comment

• Steve Manning
                    • Dec 2006

Thanks for the kind words...but I want to say thank you for offering such a nice design and documentation to the public. The only knock I see with these so far is I want more sound :T.
                    Scott, sounds like you got spoiled with the Jenzen's ....... But as with those, very nice looking build. I do love the curved cabinets, I went the same way when I did my Modula MTM's, though the route you took looks a lot easier.

Steve
                    Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

Comment

• jim1961
                      • Nov 2012

Scott,

You will have more sound when you get to the subs. While the Modula's extent further down than the Gemini's, when you get your system response down to 20hz or 25hz, everything will seem larger and more complete sounding.

Comment

• dar47
                        • Nov 2008

Yes it's the Roy sealed, only 1 small null I boosted for. The modula's are parked away from the seating area most of the time, I move the stands to face the seating and the sub is tuned to that setup.

Comment

• sdl2112
                          • Mar 2006

New addition to the family

Once I saw the reviews, I knew the NAD M51 DAC was my next upgrade. I've had it for a couple weeks now and it actually exceeds my expectations...which is difficult To someone who has never heard my setup may not notice but to me every CD sounds better. The first things I noticed was improved soundstage and a softer yet more realistic treble. Basically it just sounds more real. I'm using is as the preamp as well so the electrical path is about as simple as possible. I'm using the coax from the Rega and balanced XLR to the Parasound A21...it is very quiet. I would say A+ recommended :T

Name:	DSC_0624_sm.jpg
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	858725

Comment

• jim1961
                            • Nov 2012

One family member that cant overstay its welcome I take it?

Comment

• JonMarsh
                              Mad Max Moderator
                              • Aug 2000

New addition to the family

Once I saw the reviews, I knew the NAD M51 DAC was my next upgrade. I've had it for a couple weeks now and it actually exceeds my expectations...which is difficult To someone who has never heard my setup may not notice but to me every CD sounds better. The first things I noticed was improved soundstage and a softer yet more realistic treble. Basically it just sounds more real. I'm using is as the preamp as well so the electrical path is about as simple as possible. I'm using the coax from the Rega and balanced XLR to the Parasound A21...it is very quiet. I would say A+ recommended :T

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0624_sm.jpg Views:	1 Size:	97.5 KB ID:	858725
                              Rah Rah Sis Boom Bah!

I've yet to hear anyone complain about the sound or the value of the M51- I probably got one of the first ones in the country, and it's still a favorite and the reference mark at this price point! Your description sounds very much on the money!
                              Last edited by theSven; 01 May 2023, 21:24 Monday. Reason: Update quote
                              the AudioWorx
                              Natalie P
                              M8ta
                              Modula Neo DCC
                              Modula MT XE
                              Modula Xtreme
                              Isiris
                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                              Minerva Monitor
                              Calliope
                              Ardent D

In Development...
                              Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                              Obi-Wan
                              Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                              Modula PWB
                              Calliope CC Supreme
                              Natalie P Ultra
                              Natalie P Supreme
                              Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                              Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"