New project: Usher 8137a, T-B W3-1335SB, SEAS 27TAFN. WMTM, open baffle mids.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • augerpro
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2006

Good stuff Javier! I've been silently watching all these OB threads to learn what I can before tackling my own. You might find Rudolph's posts helpful because if I remember right he posted this horizontal polar effect and there was some discussion on how to fix it.
    ~Brandon 8O
    Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
    Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
    DriverVault
    Soma Sonus

Comment

• fjhuerta
      Super Senior Member
      • Jun 2006

Yes Bob.. you were right! The hump was there, in all its glory.

Ryan, yes, I did move the speaker away from the walls. Unfortunately, my room is not perfectly symmetrical. You can notice in my RTA measurements that one speaker is basically completely flat from, say, 180 Hz on up. The other is a lot more ragged. The flat one is near a corner, the other one isn't. I moved the speakers around until I had the flattest response (on average) from both, and then I started fixing the crossover. That's why I also think the speaker, as designed, can only work correctly in the room I tuned it in. I may be dead wrong (I hope I am), but the experience I've had seems to be that an open baffle needs a combination of careful positioning and slight crossover tuning for the specific room it'll be used in.

Brandon, I'll try to find Rudoplh's posts. What's the name of his design? I can't recall :s Thanks!
      Javier Huerta

Comment

• augerpro
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2006

I think he made some comments in Saurav's thread, and some similar posts at diyaudio, on a speaker he was working on. Sorry, that's all I remember.
        ~Brandon 8O
        Please donate to my Waveguides for CNC and 3D Printing Project!!
        Please donate to my Monster Box Construction Methods Project!!
        DriverVault
        Soma Sonus

Comment

• BOBinGA
          • Mar 2009

Rudolf (he posts as "Rudolf") has web site that has a lot of good information for dipoles. It's in German, so start up Google translator:

I used a parallel LRC in series with the mid to take out the extra energy. I thought this might be safer since it increases the circuit impedance at that point instead of reducing it like a series LRC across the speaker terminals would. Since your two mids in parallel are already 4 ohms, a series notch filter across them would reduce the impedance into the 2 ohm range, which would be challenge for a lot of amplifiers (although I do see you have a series filter across the mids who's purpose I don't quite understand). Your solution with the added resistance looks like it worked just as well since your peak is centered on your mid's bandwidth. In my case, my peak was a little off center and a little higher Q, so the notch filter worked best to exactly hit the peak.

-Bob
          -Bob

The PEDS 2.1 mini system
          My A7 Project - another small desktop speaker
          The B3 Hybrid Dipole - thread incomplete and outdated

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"