• yzracer14
    • Apr 2011

Baffle being clamped.

Click image for larger version

Name:	5af49be7.webp
Views:	110
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	947840
    Last edited by theSven; 13 August 2023, 08:52 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
    Statements' Build

Comment

• CADman_ks
      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by yzracer14
      Baffle being clamped.

Click image for larger version  Name:	5af49be7.webp Views:	0 Size:	31.5 KB ID:	947840

LOL!!! That glue-up looks like some of mine. I seriously think that I get just about as much on me and everything else, as I do on the parts I'm trying to join! Laminating baffles, though, is somewhat of a mess as it is.

LOOKING REALLY GREAT!!! :T
      Last edited by theSven; 13 August 2023, 08:53 Sunday. Reason: Update quote
      CADman_ks
      - Stentorian build...
      - Ochocinco build...
      - BT speaker / sub build...

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Baffle being clamped.

Click image for larger version  Name:	5af49be7.webp Views:	0 Size:	31.5 KB ID:	947840

I just love the smell of wood glue and clamps in the afternoon!
        Last edited by theSven; 13 August 2023, 08:53 Sunday. Reason: Update quote
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• AdelaaR
          • Dec 2010

My nose isn't discriminative enough to be able to smell clamps

Comment

• yzracer14
            • Apr 2011

So the bad new is that there has been very little progress since my last post in this thread. This is due to my Skil router finally calling it quits.

The good news is that my wife was actually present, to witness the demise of a tool. Which is a rare treat for any DIYer. So there was no convincing needed when I asked her if it was cool to finally purchase a Dewalt. It was nice not having to try an explain why a tool broke only to see the 'I smell BS' look on her face. I don't know about you guys, but that's usually difficult cuz for me, they usually just stop working after so long. In this case, 5 years.
            Statements' Build

Comment

• cjd
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Dec 2004

Really? Dewalt? boooo. Their dust collection is superb though...
              diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Mark_1042
                • Apr 2012

Looking good yzracer, I plan on building similar cabinets so I definitely see some techniques to use. Some good looking speakers you've got going there, I bet they will sound twice as good as they look. (if that makes any sense at all :B )

Comment

• Mark_1042
                  • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Hdale85
                  Curved enclosures break up the back wave of the drivers so they don't come back to the drivers reducing distortion.
                  It also provides a more rigid cabinet wall, which helps to reduce panel vibrations.

Comment

• yzracer14
                    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by cjd
                    What's wrong with Dewalt in your opinion? What router would you prefer in the $200 - $250 price range? I'm not trying to start any arguments here. I'm genuinely interested and will admit that I only went with Dewalt because it's the only "decent" router that I've personally used before (borrowed) and loved it a hundred times more than my Skil or other lower-end brands that I've used briefly over the years. So I am definitely open to suggestions.

Originally posted by Mark_1042
                    Looking good yzracer, I plan on building similar cabinets so I definitely see some techniques to use. Some good looking speakers you've got going there, I bet they will sound twice as good as they look. (if that makes any sense at all :B )
                    Thanks, and yes, it makes perfect sense.

I also just realized that I didn't post an updated picture yet of the first cabinet. I'll do that tonight.
                    Statements' Build

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

My 1st router was a Freud (monster) that had tons of power but was a terrible plunge router, IMHO. A professional carpenter told me that if I was only going to have one router to use on cabinets, it should be a DeWalt 621. I took his advice and still find it to be excellent.

FWIW...

Jim

Comment

• agrippa
                        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by cjd
                        Festool is the only way to go when it comes to dust collection. I am allergic to wood dust and I like woodworking so my wife bought me some festool tools for Christmas a few years back. It made a huge difference...no more drugs and masks.
                        Lady Nancy Astor: "Winston, if I were married to you I'd put poison in your coffee"
                        Winston Churchill "Nancy, if I were married to you I'd drink it."

Comment

• yzracer14
                          • Apr 2011

I didn't want to leave everyone following this build hanging so here's a quick update. There has been no progress at all due to some unfortunate accidents and circumstances. My vehicle broke beyond repair, spending money diverted to new vehicle. Kid breaking his leg. ugh, life right?

Hopefully I'll be able to finish this soon.
                          Statements' Build

Comment

• BeerParty
                            • Oct 2008

I didn't want to leave everyone following this build hanging so here's a quick update. There has been no progress at all due to some unfortunate accidents and circumstances. My vehicle broke beyond repair, spending money diverted to new vehicle. Kid breaking his leg. ugh, life right?

Hopefully I'll be able to finish this soon.
                            None of that is a good excuse for slacking off! :twisted:

Just kidding. Good luck with the new vehicle and I hope your kid's leg heals quickly. We will still be here when things settle down (fingers crossed).
                            Chris

My Statement Monitors Build
                            My AviaTrix Build

Comment

• impala454
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Oct 2007

Baffle being clamped.

Hey I like your idea of the lip of (is that tape?) to catch the excess glue. Did you actually put that in between the baffle and cabinet, or just run the tape right up to the edge?
                              Last edited by theSven; 13 August 2023, 08:55 Sunday. Reason: Update quote
                              -Chuck

Comment

• yzracer14
                                • Apr 2011

Originally posted by impala454
                                Hey I like your idea of the lip of (is that tape?) to catch the excess glue. Did you actually put that in between the baffle and cabinet, or just run the tape right up to the edge?
                                I just ran the tape right up to the edge. That surface will be used by the router bit's bearing when I trim those edges so I wanted to keep it as pristine as possible. Clean up was a breeze!
                                Statements' Build

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"