X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Using slots for ports

Why is it that you seldom see anyone using a slot for a port? About the only reason I could come up with was that when using a regular tube you try to keep the openings one diameter away from any side walls which isn't as easy to do with a slot but there must be another reason I'm missing?
  • cdwitmer
    • Sep 2004

A lot of folks like Onken enclosures. Don't those qualify as slots?

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Pratt, TL's use a "slot".

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

They're a pain to calculate accurately. They're a pain to build in comparison to using a piece of PVC pipe. And it's almost impossible to create flares.

Other than that, they're great :wink:

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Jerry Pease
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by ThomasW
          They're a pain to calculate accurately. They're a pain to build in comparison to using a piece of PVC pipe. And it's almost impossible to create flares.

Other than that, they're great :wink:
          I feel your pain man!
          JP

Comment

• David R.
            • Apr 2003

Originally posted by ThomasW
            They're a pain to calculate accurately. :
            How so? If the area of the mouth remains the same, then the length stays the same (For the same tuning).

I agree though, a length PVC pipe is easier, and flares are nice

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

How so? If the area of the mouth remains the same....
              My bad, I didn't make myself clear. I meant with regard to integrating them into the design of the box, Not actually calculating area.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• RonS
                • Jul 2004

I once did an MTM design with a slot port. In that case, it was quite easy to incorporate, and had the added benefit of acting as a great side wall brace. I located the slot port directly behind the tweeter. As someone mentioned, if the mouth area is the same as a tube vent, the length should be the same as well. If you want to do a flare, a 3/4" flare is easy assuming you are using 3/4" material for the brace. You can flare both ends as well. Bigger flares could be built with some "backup" material on either end I suppose.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"