This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bbcmp1979
    • Dec 2009

Ok, I don't think I'll be sanding the finish tower just yet as they look good at the moment. I'll be working on priming the second tower today and tomorrow

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00941.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	943009

Name:	DSC00942.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	943010

Name:	DSC00943.webp
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	943011
    Last edited by theSven; 25 June 2023, 21:55 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• ch83575
      • Sep 2006

Great paint job and cool build.

If you do decide that they are too shiny I have had really good luck with two or three thin coats of krylon spray on satin finish clear coat over just about anything. It is way more matte than you might think from the 'satin' in the name. It can even make some small imperfections just magically disappear. They look great the way they are, but if you want them less shiny it might be worth a try.

-Chad

Comment

• bbcmp1979
        • Dec 2009

It does have a few imperfections but I'm not gonna sweat over it. I'm happy it how it came out. We were watching Transformer2 last night and there weren't any reflection that bother me neither.

Second tower with 3 coats of primer and no sanding.

Name:	DSC00945.webp
Views:	75
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	943001

Name:	DSC00946.webp
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	943002

Name:	DSC00947.webp
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	943003
        Last edited by theSven; 25 June 2023, 21:49 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• numberoneoppa
          • Sep 2009

Wow, I just realized that that speaker would look wickedly nice in white. :P

Looking great in black, though!
          -Josh

That feeling when things are finally going right. Yeah, that one.

Comment

• bbcmp1979
            • Dec 2009

They would definitely blend right in with the wall....hahahsah. Only if I can lay down the the black paint as good....

Comment

• bbcmp1979
              • Dec 2009

After 4 coats of semi gloss black. Like I said, if only I can lay down the black paint as well as primering.

Name:	DSC00948.webp
Views:	73
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	943004

Name:	DSC00949.webp
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	943005

Name:	DSC00950.webp
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	943006

Name:	DSC00951.webp
Views:	70
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	943007

Name:	DSC00952.webp
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	943008

I can't really explain how it came out w/o any dust spot on the paint considering how much dust I have in the garage.

When I painted my sub back in november, there were no dust on the floor but after painting, i can see the dust/particle on the paint.
              Last edited by theSven; 25 June 2023, 21:51 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• bbcmp1979
                • Dec 2009

As they sit in the living room today.

Name:	DSC00953.webp
Views:	70
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	942999

Name:	DSC00955.webp
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	943000

Next step, center channel, upgrade receiver, and build another entertainment center.

Anyone knows where i can get a plan to build an entertainment center, or a bigger stand to accommodate what I have now?

Thanks
                Last edited by theSven; 25 June 2023, 21:30 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• JonMarsh
                  Mad Max Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

Nice work on the paint job, that's always a bit tricky way to go- but then so is veneering and conventional finishing!
                  the AudioWorx
                  Natalie P
                  M8ta
                  Modula Neo DCC
                  Modula MT XE
                  Modula Xtreme
                  Isiris
                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                  Minerva Monitor
                  Calliope
                  Ardent D

In Development...
                  Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                  Obi-Wan
                  Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                  Modula PWB
                  Calliope CC Supreme
                  Natalie P Ultra
                  Natalie P Supreme
                  Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                  Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• bbcmp1979
                    • Dec 2009

Thanks John,

Any recommendation for a center channel to match?

Comment

• numberoneoppa
                      • Sep 2009

Anyone knows where i can get a plan to build an entertainment center, or a bigger stand to accomodate what I have now?
                      It's your room, you know it better than anybody else, as well as your needs and wants. Why not design it yourself?

You're speakers look very nice, by the way. Considered building some stands out of MDF to get those old speakers out of the room? :P
                      Last edited by numberoneoppa; 25 January 2010, 15:14 Monday.
                      -Josh

Comment

• bbcmp1979
                        • Dec 2009

I've removed the plastic speakers and the Nats are sitting on the floor right now. I just picked up some shelving material from Home Depot for the stands. I won't be working on them just yet. At ear level, they should be about a feet up from the floor.

Comment

• evilskillit
                          • Oct 2008

Out of curiosity if they needed to be taller why not just build them taller and section off the extra space inside rather than having to have really really short speaker stands for othwerise already tall speakers?

Comment

• bbcmp1979
                            • Dec 2009

Evilskillit,

This is my first set of home speakers that I built. It is mainly to experiment with enclosure and to decide whether or not I'm hooked to DIY. I built it shorter with the intention of rebuilding the towers to a bigger size to extend to a lower frequenccy and upgrade the crossover to the Modula MTM xover.

I just spent the last 3 hours listening to music in 2 channel mode with the sub off.

What I can say is, WWWOOOWWW!!! Even w/o the Modula MTM xover the Natalies were great. I was in blissed for the whole 3 hours. The frequency response is extremely flat, the transition from midrange to midbass to the lower bass frequency is extremely smooth. The high frequency was very detail yet neutral at the same time. Speeches and vocals were very refined. They are very forward and put the singers to my living room, but they are not so forward like In your Face forward.

I can hear the waterfall, the gentle wind breezes by, that I don't remember hearing for the last few years with crappy/plastic speakers.

With only a few hours of play time, I'm sure the Nats are not broken in yet. However, I could only expect much improvement once they are.

I like to thanks Evil Twin, and John for a great design.

DIY4life !!!!

I now wonder what the Natalie would compare to for commercial offerings?

Comment

• gregnash
                              • Dec 2009

bbcmp do you really see that much of a response difference with and w/o the stands under the current height? Didn't you make them approximately 42" tall? Reason I am asking is the "mini tower" set that I am specing out in Sketch-Up are 42" with stands so wondering if I should make them a little tall or not.

Comment

• bbcmp1979
                                • Dec 2009

Gregnash,

The tower were 40" tall. When I had them on the plastic speakers as stand (9" tall), they were a little bit brighter and imaging were much better, but the low end frequency was a tad thinner. If you are only building them once and don't plan to rebuild the enclosure down the road, you can try to build them 50" tall and place the port about 3" off the ground. My port is about 7" - 8" off the ground so when I had them on the stand the low end were thin.

I hope this help.

In a month or two, I'll be making another set of towers that'll be 48" high with a down firing port. As you can see, i'm in the experimental stage.

Comment

• numberoneoppa
                                  • Sep 2009

Hehe, it's fun, isn't it? And now you're hooked in the same way that I am. You've already got the best speakers of your life (by far), but you're still planning on building more!

Oh, it's such a happy cycle.
                                  -Josh

Comment

• bbcmp1979
                                    • Dec 2009

Hahaha, yeah i'm all for a happy cycle as oppose to down downward cycle.

I do plan on maximizing the nat's performance first before upgrading to another set though.

Comment

• fbov
                                      • Jun 2008

Originally posted by bbcmp1979
                                      What I can say is, WWWOOOWWW!!! Even w/o the Modula MTM xover the Natalies were great. I was in blissed for the whole 3 hours. The frequency response is extremely flat, the transition from midrange to midbass to the lower bass frequency is extremely smooth. The high frequency was very detail yet neutral at the same time. Speeches and vocals were very refined. They are very forward and put the singers to my living room, but they are not so forward like In your Face forward.

I can hear the waterfall, the gentle wind breezes by, that I don't remember hearing for the last few years with crappy/plastic speakers.
                                      +1 Enjoy!

Comment

• opt-e
                                        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by bbcmp1979

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC00953.webp Views:	0 Size:	47.6 KB ID:	942999
                                        Congratulations on completion of some sharp looking speakers!! :T

I'm sure you're in bliss as I was when I completed my pair.
                                        Last edited by theSven; 25 June 2023, 21:32 Sunday. Reason: Update quote

Comment

• mgrabow
                                          • Dec 2009

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet :T :T :T :T :T

Comment

• mgrabow
                                            • Dec 2009

Dumb question... What is a "Natalie P"? is that a kit or a design ?

Comment

• BOBinGA
                                              • Mar 2009

A design. See the sticky thread on finished designs.

-Bob
                                              -Bob

The PEDS 2.1 mini system
                                              My A7 Project - another small desktop speaker
                                              The B3 Hybrid Dipole - thread incomplete and outdated

Comment

• bbcmp1979
                                                • Dec 2009

What Bobinga said!!

Design by Jon here on the forum after Natalie Portman? I still haven't figure out why Natalie Portman though... :-)

Comment

• fbov
                                                  • Jun 2008

If you were to notice that NatPs were designed by his alter ego, Evil Twin, a lesser known Sith Lord, perhaps the connection would seem obvious, when it's actually her role in The Professional that provided inspiration, if I read him right. Acting over special effects.

Frank

Comment

• bbcmp1979
                                                    • Dec 2009

Yes, Evil Twin/John, my apologies.
                                                    Last edited by bbcmp1979; 30 April 2010, 15:47 Friday.

Comment

Working...
                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                    Search Result for "|||"