X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Curt C
    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by mikela
    Asi,

This is something I have not condsidered. ops: This may be the forcing function that moves me toward crossover design on my DIY speaker journey.

Mike
    At this juncture, I'd suggest you not worry about it too much until you audition it. If you find the center too bright, email me for suggestions.

Vee Haf Zee Teknology!! :??

C
    Curt's Speaker Design Works

Comment

• ahaik
      • Feb 2007

Asi,

This is something I have not condsidered. ops: This may be the forcing function that moves me toward crossover design on my DIY speaker journey.

Mike
      Fortunatly we have Curt around :-y
      One day I may try a design too, been planning to do that, but life is waaaay to bussy
      at the moment.
      My guess is you will be very happy with it as it is, I just brought that point out of curiousity.

Good luck,
      Asi.

Comment

• mikela
        • Mar 2008

Originally posted by ahaik
        Fortunatly we have Curt around :-y

Asi.
        Yes indeed! :agree:

Curt,

Sage advice and a generous offer.

Thanks,
        Mike

Comment

• FroDaddy
          • Mar 2006

FroDaddy,

These are for the large Statements. I have an SMX acoustically transparent screen and so will be using 3 identical Statements of the sealed variety in the same horizontal plane. If I had a flat panel situation or a non transparent screen then I would be building a Statement Center Channel. I have a Velodyne DD-18 which I will cross over to at 40Hz.

Mike
          Thank you for the information, I am going to use your layout for my Statements. :T

Comment

• mikela
            • Mar 2008

Well, I stuffed the first cabinet today and promptly ran out of speaker cable. I will mount the baffle tomorrow and should hopefully be listening to mono by day's end. :^x

Mike

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1091.JPG
Views:	643
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	850829
            Last edited by theSven; 17 August 2023, 01:22 Thursday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• mikela
              • Mar 2008

Finally!

Well I managed to get the first cabinet up and running. I am currently listening to some classical music and I must say, even in mono, I am impressed. I have tried some AB'ing between the Magnepans in mono. One thing is certain, the Statements are way more efficient. It's too early yet to make any kind of real comparison. Just let me say that I am more than just a little impressed. Kudos to Jim, Curt, Wayne et al. :T Due to pressing prior commitments, I will be unable to finish the other boxes until sometime in September. :cry:

Mike

Name:	DSCF1092.JPG
Views:	581
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	850839

Name:	DSCF1093.JPG
Views:	550
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	850840

Name:	DSCF1095.JPG
Views:	572
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	850841

Name:	DSCF1101.JPG
Views:	545
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	850842

Name:	DSCF1102.JPG
Views:	738
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	850843
              Last edited by theSven; 17 August 2023, 01:23 Thursday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• David_D
                • Feb 2008

Congrats Mike!
                The build looks great.
                -David

As we try and consider
                We receive all we venture to give

Comment

• mikela
                  • Mar 2008

Thanks David.

I am really looking forward to completing the other units. The sound is awesome as far as I can tell using it in mono and stereo (one side a Magnepan). I have been planning on going with a black piano gloss finish as I will be using these in a home theater. However, I ran across this. He used several applications of ebony stain on ebony veneer followed by several coats of Tung oil. I am guessing that I would probably have to add shims underneath the speaker flanges to keep the drivers flush with the baffle. I would use a less expensive veneer if I were to do it.

Mike

Name:	Ebony Veneer.JPG
Views:	647
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	850852
                  Last edited by theSven; 17 August 2023, 01:23 Thursday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

Thanks David.

I am really looking forward to completing the other units. The sound is awesome as far as I can tell using it in mono and stereo (one side a Magnepan). I have been planning on going with a black piano gloss finish as I will be using these in a home theater. However, I ran across this. He used several applications of ebony stain on ebony veneer followed by several coats of Tung oil. I am guessing that I would probably have to add shims underneath the speaker flanges to keep the drivers flush with the baffle. I also would us a less expensive veneer if I were to do it.

Mike
                    Hi Mike,

I glad you're happy with what you're hearing. It'll get a LOT better with both Statements in stereo. :T

Jim

Comment

• mikela
                      • Mar 2008

Question: I am using these binding posts http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...umber=091-1245 . I noticed that most folks assemble their unfinished cabinets and later disassemble them for finish. Will it be OK to tap the binding posts out in order to finish the cabinets or would I be creating a problem?

Mike

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

Question: I am using these binding posts http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...umber=091-1245 . I noticed that most folks assemble their unfinished cabinets and later disassemble them for finish. Will it be OK to tap the binding posts out in order to finish the cabinets or would I be creating a problem?

Mike
                        Hi Mike,

It won't hurt a thing. :T

Jim

Comment

• mikela
                          • Mar 2008

Thanks Jim!

Comment

• ThomasW
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

I have tried some AB'ing between the Magnepans in mono.
                            Talk about an apples vs oranges comparison.... :B

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• mikela
                              • Mar 2008

Originally posted by ThomasW
                              Talk about an apples vs oranges comparison.... :B
                              Yeah, yeah I know...this is really not the way to compare speakers. But it's what I got at the moment.

Please take the following with a grain of salt given the circumstances:

It is quite surprising how little I miss the right hand maggie in stereo. The sealed Statement clearly has fantastic bass response with the 8" Daytons and this comes across in stereo. In the upper registers the Statement is comparable to maggie in terms of "air", maybe even a little cleaner. Both speakers tend to dissappear in the room. I find myself able to listen to the music longer and louder without fatigue. Very preliminary unsubstantiated listening results. I can't wait to finish the other speaker but suffice it to say that would cause significant nonlinear distortion in the household at this point in time.

Mike

Comment

• PoorboyMike
                                • Oct 2005

Hey Mike, did you ever finish your Statements? Just curious how you think they sound behind the AT screen.

Comment

• mikela
                                  • Mar 2008

PoorboyMike,

I finished a stereo pair and have been so impressed with the sound that I have put off finishing them so far. The third speaker just needs to have the baffle glued on and drivers installed. I am also a little cautious about the finishing process. That and we are trying to decide whether or not to keep the theater in the family room or blow out a wall and add a dedicated theater room (leaning towards the latter). I intend to build a false wall similar to this http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1000388 using some SMX screen material that I bought a while back. I think as long as I can get at least 1 foot of clearance behind the Statements I should be OK given that the entire false wall will for the most part be AT. I also have everything for the Monitors except the .75 MDF.

On another note, I just put a B&K Reference 70 in my system and can say that I have never heard sound this accurate. What a great match to the Statements. These speakers allow you to squeeze out whatever the electronics can supply. It's just hard to turn off the system and go to bed at night. I am also about ready to complete several monoblock Hypex UcD400 amplifiers to replace a Parasound 2105. So lot's of work to happen this year.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"