The First Official Review Of The Ssp 800!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shakespeare
    • Mar 2008

The First Official Review Of The Ssp 800!

IT IS WITH GREAT PLEASURE TO ANNOUNCE THAT THE SSP 800 HAS RECEIVED ITS FIRST OFFICIAL REVIEW! ;x( ;x( :T :T

The May 2009 edition of 'hi-finews' magazine has carried out a 3-page review of what we perceive to be the best processor in existence. Without spoiling the entire review for all you enthusiasts the reviewer (one Richard Stevenson) remarks:

"The SSP 800 is the definitive processor for multichannel music".

Whilst you may consider that withholding the full review from you is a bit of a tease, the full article can be found on www.hifinews.co.uk.

Enjoy! :W
  • 1oldguy
    • Dec 2008

Very nice .....Thanks for posting this.
    A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

• sikoniko
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Shakespeare
      IT IS WITH GREAT PLEASURE TO ANNOUNCE THAT THE SSP 800 HAS RECEIVED ITS FIRST OFFICIAL REVIEW! ;x( ;x( :T :T

The May 2009 edition of 'hi-finews' magazine has carried out a 3-page review of what we perceive to be the best processor in existence. Without spoiling the entire review for all you enthusiasts the reviewer (one Richard Stevenson) remarks:

"The SSP 800 is the definitive processor for multichannel music".

Whilst you may consider that withholding the full review from you is a bit of a tease, the full article can be found on www.hifinews.co.uk.

Enjoy! :W
      can't seem to find it on the website. Is it posted? do you have a direct link?
      I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• 1oldguy
        • Dec 2008

Can't seem to find it either?Help I've fallen and can't get up.
        A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

• Shakespeare
          • Mar 2008

Guys I have just checked the site and I'm sorry to say that they don't let you browse the article for free. I can assure you though that it is definitely in the May 2009 edition. Sorry once again.

Comment

• Nolan B
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2005

Guys I have just checked the site and I'm sorry to say that they don't let you browse the article for free. I can assure you though that it is definitely in the May 2009 edition. Sorry once again.
            cant you cut and paste the text?

Comment

• wettou
              Ultra Senior Member
              • May 2006

Originally posted by sikoniko
              can't seem to find it on the website. Is it posted? do you have a direct link?
              SIKONIKO May be you should ask Dave. Classé is very good at posting reviews of their product on their website Great Marketing:T

Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• sikoniko
                Super Senior Member
                • Aug 2003

Originally posted by wettou
                SIKONIKO May be you should ask Dave. Classé is very good at posting reviews of their product on their website Great Marketing:T

http://www.classeaudio.com/reviews/index.htm
                OK. when I get around to emailing him I'll see if they will be posting it.

Comment

• wettou
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • May 2006

OK. when I get around to emailing him I'll see if they will be posting it.
                  I emailed Tom so don't bother, also I heard that there will be nothing except the new Codec !!!! When it ever comes :roll:

I think Cedia 2009 if we are lucky
                  Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• mattburk
                    • Feb 2003

Review: The Classe SSP-800 AV preamp processor supports all of the latest HD audio and video formats with emphasizes audio performance to satisfy the most critical audiophile or audioholic.
                    www.mycstone.com
                    www.coverednow.com
                    www.biarenton.com

Comment

• sikoniko
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Aug 2003

thanks for the link. I'm not sure I'd call that much of a review though. no info on audio quality. looks to me like the guy regurgitated the brochure. typical. :roll:

Comment

• sikoniko
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Aug 2003

I emailed Tom so don't bother, also I heard that there will be nothing except the new Codec !!!! When it ever comes :roll:

I think Cedia 2009 if we are lucky
                        not sure I understand what the new codec has to do with them posting a review?

Comment

• beden1
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Oct 2006

That review was from May 18, 2008. I thought I remembered reading it before.

Comment

• Shakespeare
                            • Mar 2008

I would copy of the text but I don't have a scanner and I am nervous about breaching copyrights they own. I guess if they wanted everyone to see the review for free they would not be charging on their website. I hope Classe is able to post the review on their website for all to see free of charge.

Comment

• sikoniko
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Aug 2003

I would copy of the text but I don't have a scanner and I am nervous about breaching copyrights they own. I guess if they wanted everyone to see the review for free they would not be charging on their website. I hope Classe is able to post the review on their website for all to see free of charge.
                              Dave wasn't aware of it but they are looking into it. he said they usually can't publish something from a current publication.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Mar 2005

HiFi News usually hits the US market about a month after release in the UK. Like Shakepeare said the May 2009 issue contains the first "published" review of the SSP-800. The June 2009 issue of TAS will be hot on its heals.
                                "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Oddiophile
                                  • Jul 2008

Hi all,

If you use the following link you should be able to access the May 2009 review of the Class SSP-800 in Hi Fi News. The review was done by Richard Stevenson. The link is:

I wish the review had a bit more detail but there are some interesting points. For example:

--the excellent explanation of the usefulness of the LCD display
                                  --the explanation for the (current) lack of Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio
                                  --the emphasis on sound quality
                                  -- the jitter rejection specs are an outstanding less than 10 psec for 2-channel and less than 20 psec for multichannel audio

I did not download the lab report but the highlights in the review suggest that the overall specs are superb.

I can't wait to audition one.

Comments?

Jim

Comment

• sikoniko
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Aug 2003

I like this, and agree with it:

The SSP800 is the definitive processor for multichannel music. In short, it's in a Classe of it own.
                                    thanks for the link. :T

Comment

• Oddiophile
                                      • Jul 2008

Here is a heads-up for the "2nd official review of the SSP-800."

I asked about the SSP-800 on the AVGuide forum and received this response from Robert Harley of TAS.

"Robert Harley -- Mon, 05/18/2009 - 13:50

I have just finished reviewing the SSP-800; my review will appear in TAS Issue 194 (August cover date, June 23 mail date).

I can say that the SSP-800 is the best-sounding, most feature-laden, and friendliest (in terms of user interface) controller I've ever used. The sound quality of its preamplifier section (in pure analog mode) is equal to that of many $5k stereo preamps. In the review I also compare the DAC stage to that of the Classe CDP-502 CD/DVD player. The sound of the two is very close, despite the fact that the CDP-502 sells for more than the SSP-800."

I look forward to his complete review as he is a writer I hold in high regard.

Now all we need is Rebelman's review. I am looking forward to that.

Welcome back Rebelman!!

Jim

Comment

• RebelMan
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Mar 2005

What a coincidence Jim. I also wrote Robert on Friday and asked him where the missing review was. The previous issue (April/May) mentioned that it would be in the current issue (June/July). As you discovered he said it was delayed until the next issue (August).

If you keep tabs on Robert's blog he discusses the merits, or lack thereof, regarding on board controller decoding. If there could be a audible difference where the decoding takes place it might manifest itself in the jitter prone LPCM signals that DD and dts packets are immune to. But as you can see from the benchmarks posted in HiFi News, jitter isn't an issue for the SSP-800. I suspect this is one of the reasons why (as sikoniko alluded to in another post) I found the Sonos and SSP-800 combination so remarkable.
                                        "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• AV-OCD
                                          • Aug 2008

SSP-800 jitter spec - wow!

I finally got around to reading the Hi-Fi News review of the SSP-800 (thanks for the Zinio link), and I'm amazed by the objective jitter performance of this beautiful sound-making machine!

Usually, good jitter performance is considered anything below 300 psecs. And below 150 psecs is considered world class. I had to re-read the 10 psec jitter performance of the SSP-800 in the HFN review several times just to make sure that it wasn't a typo. 10 psecs?! That is simply ground breaking. It's the first time I've ever seen a result that low.

There's a good deal of debate as to whether jitter has much of an audible effect on sound, I've been paying a lot of attention to jitter since moving from the CDP-300 to a Mac Mini. When it comes to transports, there are really only two things to worry about. Whether or not the output is "bit-perfect" and the jitter levels. It's not too difficult it seems to achieve bit-perfect output from a PC, but jitter levels can be rather high so you need a DAC that is good at rejecting it--like the SSP-800. Based on the test results on HFN, it's no wonder I heard no difference between the CDP-300 and the Mac Mini.

A quick comparison:

The jitter spectrum of the SSP-800 from HFN:

And now the CDP-202 from Stereophile:

An ideal graph would be a single spike at the test frequency in the center, with no spikes to the left or right. It is plain to see how much cleaner the SSP-800 jitter graph is than the CDP-202. The comparison is not completely apples to apples because I believe the HFN and Stereophile tests are slightly different, but they should be close enough.

I'd like to mention one more tidbit from the HFN review that pretty much sums up my experience with it.

"incredibly refined, yet at the same time revealing..."

I just have to say again that until I heard the SSP-800, I thought that most prepros sounded more or less the same, and there was a small part of me that thought I might have been hearing what I want to hear, but after seeing that the comments in HFN line up almost perfectly with my impressions, I'm confident now that the SSP-800 is a clear step-up in sound quality from the Lexicon MC12HD that I owned prior to it. The Lex had a grain and etch to the top end that is completely absent in the 800. The grain and etch can give the false impression of detail (like edge enhancement on TV), but the 800 has more real resolution and a much more natural sound.

Bravo Classe!

Cheers,

- Tim

Comment

• garak
                                            • Jul 2007

Thanks for the info Tim.

It's great to learn some of the quantitative reasons why the SSP-800 sounds so great.

Comment

• AV-OCD
                                              • Aug 2008

More impressive jitter performance

I forgot to mention that in the HFN review, they measured just 20 psecs on the HDMI input. Again, this is stellar performance. HDMI is notorious for high levels of jitter-- in the thousands of psecs on average.

Here's the full HFN technical review:

Cheers,

- Tim

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by AV-OCD
                                                I forgot to mention that in the HFN review, they measured just 20 psecs on the HDMI input. Again, this is stellar performance. HDMI is notorious for high levels of jitter-- in the thousands of psecs on average.

Cheers,

- Tim
                                                This is most impressive. Thanks for sharing, Tim. :T

Comment

• wettou
                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                  • May 2006

Updated News for the new DSP Not in June

For those of you who are sitting on the side lines, the new DSP for the SSP-800 won't be released in the Spring.

If we are lucky we should see it before CEDIA in September only a year later after the first release I guess my amps are well burned in :T

Sounds like the typical story while Japanese manufacturers release upgrade products every six - nine months with all the latest technologies the high end is unable to compete so they create beautifull boxes, Yes I fell for the boxes as well, my favorite DCS Puccini

Comment

• garak
                                                    • Jul 2007

wettou, if all you think classe offers is a beautiful box, then don't buy it.

Just because a manufacturer releases a new model every six-nine months doesn't mean that product is any good.

wettou codec complaint post count: 584,947

Comment

• wettou
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • May 2006

Originally posted by garak
                                                      wettou, if all you think classe offers is a beautiful box, then don't buy it. Just because a manufacturer releases a new model every six-nine months doesn't mean that product is any good.

Thank you you are so kind :B

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • Aug 2003

wettou, if all you think classe offers is a beautiful box, then don't buy it.

Just because a manufacturer releases a new model every six-nine months doesn't mean that product is any good.

I know! we could start a poll to see if he will end up buying one! :W

I think he will myself. the next question will be, what will he complain about after he does get it?

Comment

• wettou
                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                          • May 2006

I know! we could start a poll to see if he will end up buying one! :W I think he will myself. the next question will be, what will he complain about after he does get it?
                                                          YES, I will buy an SSP-800 I am just tired of waiting and probably will not complain as long as it performs My Classé amps are a year old and work flawlessly so far. :lol:

I have Parasound pieces that are 12 year old and still going

Comment

• RalphoR
                                                            • Feb 2009

YES, I will buy an SSP-800 I am just tired of waiting and probably will not complain as long as it performs My Classé amps are a year old and work flawlessly so far. :lol:

I have Parasound pieces that are 12 year old and still going

I'm not sure why you're waiting for the DSP boards. According to the review it mentions the DSP board is unnecessary if you have a high end BD player. From your posts I am sure you already have this piece so if I may be so bold....why be such a grump in your comments about this piece when you can enjoy it now? I have the said combination (SSP-800 and the NA version: Pioneer Elite 09 with the ability to decode the HD audio tracks) and find the combination stellar. It's time for you to put all the doom and gloom away and come join us in the light....GET ONE and enjoy!

Ralph

Comment

• wettou
                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                              • May 2006

Originally posted by RalphoR
                                                              I'm not sure why you're waiting for the DSP boards. According to the review it mentions the DSP board is unnecessary if you have a high end BD player. From your posts I am sure you already have this piece so if I may be so bold....why be such a grump in your comments about this piece when you can enjoy it now? I have the said combination (SSP-800 and the NA version: Pioneer Elite 09 with the ability to decode the HD audio tracks) and find the combination stellar. It's time for you to put all the doom and gloom away and come join us in the light....GET ONE and enjoy!

Ralph
                                                              Many years ago I bought a high-end processor that was supposed to be upgradeable, but the upgrade never came:cry:. So this time I am just waiting patiently or not...

I don't want to be taken for a fool again plus what ' an other two or three months. Summer is here and the waves are perfect....

Comment

• garak
                                                                • Jul 2007

I think it's more foolish to wait for an additional feature that gives you no benefit.

If you have a blu-ray player that decodes TrueHD and DTS-HD, then with the SSP-800 as is, you can take full advantage of the latest codecs.

In the meantime, you're just under-utilizing your 802Ds by limiting them to lossy codecs. Not to mention all of the huffing and puffing that is annoying everyone on this board.

Comment

• wettou
                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                  • May 2006

I think it's more foolish to wait for an additional feature that gives you no benefit. If you have a blu-ray player that decodes TrueHD and DTS-HD, then with the SSP-800 as is, you can take full advantage of the latest codecs. In the meantime, you're just under-utilizing your 802Ds by limiting them to lossy codecs. Not to mention all of the huffing and puffing that is annoying everyone on this board.
                                                                  no worries:B

Comment

• garak
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Jul 2007

I know! we could start a poll to see if he will end up buying one! :W

I think he will myself. the next question will be, what will he complain about after he does get it?
                                                                    We already know the answer to that question: no audessey.

Comment

• wettou
                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                      • May 2006

We already know the answer to that question: no audessey.
                                                                      That is so nice to have so much attention :T

Comment

• Whacked!
                                                                        • Jun 2009

The Hi-Fi News review is now posted on the Classe website.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                          • Aug 2003
                                                                          • 2299

anyone capable of translating what appears to be the german review posted?

thx!

Comment

• Oddiophile
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Jul 2008
                                                                            • 173

Sikonko,

A translation from the German might be tricky as I'm quite sure that the review is actually in Norwegian. LOL

Either way, I don't have a clue as to the translation.

Jim

Comment

• style
                                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                                              • Feb 2006
                                                                              • 1562

#39
                                                                              ? where do you have read anew german review??

please everybody can say me where ????

thx Omar

Comment

• style
                                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                                • Feb 2006
                                                                                • 1562

#40

THIS ONE I SUPPOSE!!!

no german but Norway...
                                                                                Omar

Comment

• style
                                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                                  • Feb 2006
                                                                                  • 1562

#41
                                                                                  well, "always the some history":
                                                                                  great high end preampli

-ready for the HD sound fromat
                                                                                  -possibilty the upgrade with the second DSP
                                                                                  -update with the rs232 software
                                                                                  -now top with linear PCM, better or a evolution with the second chip:
                                                                                  HD master audio,.....
                                                                                  - price each channel and compare with others receivers at today available
                                                                                  - aux Input posibilty to be setting
                                                                                  - EQ possibilty with a pro the set the EQ system inside the SSP800 Not in auto but from a Classe man technical -> of topic: this Eq set is possible with a not expesive $$$ from a Classe expert that come by you at home and with a hardware make a GREAT setting with the EQ: every set is differente home pro home (I have a sofa in this position you no ,...-> perfect setting on demand for every room!!! no bad: I have request a possiblity to have a "calibration" with the help from my friend from Classe.

Style

Comment

• AV-OCD
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Aug 2008
                                                                                    • 568

#42

Here's the full HFN technical review:

Cheers,

- Tim
                                                                                    Just found this jitter level comparison in an AVS thread that I feel is worth sharing:

Jitter with SPDIF input:
                                                                                    10ps Classe SSP800 ;x(
                                                                                    15ps DCS Scarlatti
                                                                                    37ps Pioneer SC-LX81
                                                                                    40ps Cambridge DACMagic
                                                                                    50ps Arcam AVR600
                                                                                    121ps Sony SCD-XA5400ES
                                                                                    183ps Yamaha RX-V3900
                                                                                    250ps Denon 2500/AVP-A1
                                                                                    430ps Onkyo PR-SC886
                                                                                    470ps Onkyo TX-NR906
                                                                                    485ps Audiolab 8000AP
                                                                                    560ps Denon 3808A

Jitter with HDMI input:
                                                                                    5ps Arcam AVR600
                                                                                    21ps Classe SSP800 :E
                                                                                    50ps Pioneer SC-LX81
                                                                                    200ps Sony XA5400ES HATS on
                                                                                    2200ps Denon 2500/AVP-A1
                                                                                    3700ps Denon 3808A
                                                                                    3860ps Onkyo TX-NR906
                                                                                    3920ps Onkyo PR-SC886
                                                                                    7660ps Yamaha RX-V3900
                                                                                    8000ps Sony XA5400ES HATS off
                                                                                    8490ps Audiolab 8000AP

I've been impressed with the sound of the SSP-800 since day one, but man it also feels good to see some objective validation of the SSP-800's performance.

Comment

• nedkuehn
                                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                                      • Aug 2008
                                                                                      • 19

#43
                                                                                      It's been a while since I have made comments regarding the SSP-800. My initial impression was spot on, this is an amazing processor (my former reference was the Levinson No.40). I suspected jitter was very low based on the uncanny timing and decay of music, a hallmark of low jitter. The above review proves that to be the case.

I have been listening extensively using 4 major source devices - Classe CDT-300 (CD/DVD), Logitech Transporter with the Esoteric G25U Master Clock Generator and PCM Digital Up Converter (FLAC server-based audio files), Sony BDP-5000ES (Blu-Ray), and most recently the Oppo BDP-83 (Blu-Ray, SACD, DVD-A). From audio quality on music, it is really difficult to hear substantial differences between the Transporter/Esoteric server based system and the CD's played through the Classe CDT-300 (although there may be slight edge to the Classe CDT-300 having a bit more air and dimension). Without doubt, the SSP-800 serves music extordingly well. The CDT-300 may have a bit of an edge due to low jitter. Both music sources are connected to the SSP-800 via SPDIF using the (amazingly low jitter) Empirical Design 118 digital cables.

HD Audio surround formats sent to the SSP-800 via LPCM from the Sony and Oppo are equally extrodinary. The Sony ssems to have the edge with HD audio formats, probably due to its isolated audio circuitry and power supplies. The Oppo player is capable of converting SACD to PCM via HDMI. SACD to PCM conversion is straight foward and I have been most impressed with the audio quality.

So the question I would like to bounce around, is the DSP upgrade for the SSP-800 really essential? If it would allow 176.4/192 surround - that would absolutely. But has anyone seriously evalauted the difference between HD Audio surround format conversion to LPCM in a high quality Blu-Ray Player vs HD Audio Bitstream with conversion in a highly quality pre/pro? Would there be jitter differences? Any thoughts?

Comment

• AV-OCD
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Aug 2008
                                                                                        • 568

#44
                                                                                        Ned K. -

Hopefully Tom with Classe won't mind me sharing this with the forum members, but below is from an e-mail he recently sent me on the topic of the DSP upgrade and jitter:

For your information, the Dual DSP may be able to improve our jitter figures. When audio is encoded into Dolby True/DTS HD bitstream it is protected, rather like a liquid is protected inside a bottle. Decoding the algorithim is like opening the bottle. The audio is no longer protected and jitter can be introduced.

Jitter is the loss of sync between the digital signals time reference and the audio samples. The greater the distance the digital signal has to travel before it is converted into analog, the greater the risk of jitter being introduced.

If we decode inside the SSP-800, the Linear PCM only has to travel from the DSP to the DACS before becoming the analog signal that drives your amps and speakers. This is a very short distance compared to the decoding inside the player, so jitter should be reduced.
                                                                                        - Tim

Comment

• Nolan B
                                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                                          • Sep 2005
                                                                                          • 1792

#45
                                                                                          Ned K. -

Hopefully Tom with Classe won't mind me sharing this with the forum members, but below is from an e-mail he recently sent me on the topic of the DSP upgrade and jitter:

- Tim
                                                                                          did you get my PM?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"