X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Oddiophile
    • Jul 2008

Second Official Review of the Classe SSP-800 Controller

Hi all,

I have just purchased the pdf file of Robert Harley’s review of the Classe SSP-800 in the August issue (#194) of The Absolute Sound. This review is significant because Robert Harley is one of the most respected audio reviewers out there. Although I think it would be unethical to copy the review at this time, I can share a few points.

First, the review is thorough, well-organized and well-written. It is five pages long and is divided into several sections including: introduction, features, user interface, listening and conclusion. In addition, there are three interesting sidebars on “decoding the new audio formats”, “a giant leap forward in sound quality” and “under the hood”.

Harley begins by declaring that the SSP-800 “sets a new standard in two-channel and multichannel sound quality in the controller category”. After describing the features, he moves onto the user interface which he finds very intuitive and a “vital component of long-term satisfaction with the product”.

In his listening evaluation, he compared the DACs in the SSP-800 to the DACs in the highly praised Classe CDP-502 CD player and found them to be “remarkably small”. He also evaluated the SSP-800 in bypass mode and found that it introduced very little coloration. This is quite remarkable considering that Harley’s system consists of a number of highly revealing components including the extraordinary Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 loudspeakers. He was very impressed with “an immersive listening experience that didn’t induce fatigue”—exactly the qualities I am looking for. He describes the SSP-800’s handling of high-res sources as where it “really revealed its prowess, with excellent dynamic contrasts, no glare, deep bass extension, and a resolution of fine detail that consistently engaged me”.

In conclusion, he considers the SSP-800 to be a bargain, even at its price point and “fully up to the task of serving as the centerpiece of a demanding high-end two channel and multichannel playback system".

The three sidebars are excellent supplements with his primer on decoding the new audio formats worth the price of the review by itself. The “under the hood” section is a very interesting look at the technologies and the attention to detail behind the production of the SSP-800.

One of the few things he does not discuss in significant detail is the PEQ system. Indeed, I wonder if he actually had it set up. If he didn’t, it makes his praise of the SSP-800 all the more remarkable. I shall endeavour to find out how he used the PEQ and get back to the forum.

I would urge you to have a look at the review which can be purchased at the following link:

Apart from the SSP-800 review, this is one of the most interesting issues that TAS has produced and is well worth the $4.99 asking price.

Hope this is of interest.

Jim

P.S. I have no connection whatsoever with TAS.
  • Oddiophile
    • Jul 2008

Now all we need is Rebelman's review(s) of the SSP-800!!! Hint, hint. LOL :P

Jim

Comment

• sikoniko
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Oddiophile
      Now all we need is Rebelman's review(s) of the SSP-800!!! Hint, hint. LOL :P

Jim
      I spoke to him about it last weekend. Its coming soon. He hasn't forgotten.
      I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• KahunaCanuck
        • May 2008

Another great review, not that I am surprised! This is a great peices of equipment, hooked up my old oppo to listen to my DVD Audios and SACDs...such a shame these didn't take off more...amazing how good they sound!
        Kahuna's Theatre

Comment

• Oddiophile
          • Jul 2008

Hi all,

The print version of Robert Harley's review of the Classe SSP-800 in The Absolute Sound is now available (at least here in Canada).

Jim

Comment

• Whacked!
            • Jun 2009

TAS SSP-800 Review

Robert Harley' review of the SSP-800 is now available on avguide.com. :T

Norm

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"