Do you plan on ordering a prototype SSP-800?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

Do you plan on ordering a prototype SSP-800?

SSP-800 Availability Update
    July 31, 2008

Early in July we shipped a small number of pre-release units to expand the number of installations using SSP-800s. Our goal has been to gather more feedback on possible HDMI compatibility issues and discover if any major bugs had slipped through our own testing.

The results of this additional testing have been extremely positive, with the handful of dealers involved in the program unanimously reporting the best performance they have ever heard from a surround sound preamp/processor.

Vu Phan at High End Theater in Texas reported:
    "The SSP800 is the best processor we have ever heard, and we are hardcore audiophiles! Congratulations to the people at Classe who made this possible."

Igor Kivritsky at Hi Fi Center in BC said:
    "You guys really outdid yourselves on this one... I could instantly hear a major improvement in detail, focus and tonality"

Along with the positive comments, a few new issues were in fact discovered, although none that would be considered particularly serious. Until a few days ago, it looked like we were on our way to releasing official software to production for shipments to commence today. Then an old digital audio noise problem related to DVI switching that we thought had been resolved, reappeared. The good news is that we can now reliably reproduce the problem, which was not the case when it was first identified some time ago. The bad news is that we now need to trace the problem, fix it and re-test. That will take more time. Meanwhile, there are many customers with theater systems down, waiting for the SSP-800. There are also dealers who need the SSP-800 for their demonstration rooms.

To accommodate those of you who have no theater until we deliver the SSP-800, we will make more pre-release units available in North America. This will further widen the scope of feedback we get while solving problems for those who are willing to install a unit which will require a further software update.

Pre-release hardware is 100% , only the software is in a pre-release status. This software is identified by a yellow band across the display.

If you are interested in obtaining a pre-release unit, contact your dealer about availability. A shipment of pre-release units will be made to our distribution facility in Buffalo next week and distributed to dealers immediately from there. Once we approve a final software release, the yellow band will be removed and these units may be updated with the official production code.

We apologize for the additional delay of official production but we are trying to accommodate those of you who can accept the SSP-800 temporarily as it is and don’t mind doing an additional update.

Stay tuned to the website for further announcements regarding SSP-800 availability and thanks again for your patience and support of Classé.

Regards,
    David Nauber
    Executive VP
    Classé

*Shipments to overseas markets will begin at the same time as shipments within North America. For our overseas customers, please be aware that the additional distribution channels may add up four to six weeks to delivery.
    Yes! I want my SSP-800 Sooner!
    42.86%
    No! I will wait until production units are shipping!
    9.52%
    No! I will wait until the upgraded DSP is available!
    42.86%
    What is an SSP-800?
    4.76%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by sikoniko; 01 August 2008, 11:01 Friday.
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...
  • Classe4me
    • Dec 2007

a little confused?

Hey Sikoniko, I am a little confused by your poll. I haven't stayed on top of the SSP-800 forums as much as those that have been anxiously awaiting it's arrival but did not realize that there could even be an option or possibility of getting a pre-production model. I thought that Classe would operate like Apple and not release the product until it is ready to go. Your first choice makes my little narrow mind think that maybe there are going to be a select group of units available for beta testing perhaps?? Could you please clarify this for me so that I may understand if there is an option there that exists that I am not aware of.

FWIW, I am very pleased with my SSP-600 and after listening to some of my DTS DVDs I just can't hardly imagine it getting much better for my ears. I do listen to some 2 channel music at times but am also extremely pleased with the feedback my ears are giving me.

On the other hand, we all know and have been at that place where we say we are satisfied and not going to do anything else and BAM, off to spend more money. I suppose once the product is in it's "totally finished" state and a person would not have to worry about or deal with the upgrades then I may consider it. If Classe does a trade-up program then that may sway my decision as well.

Hope my question isn't totally off the wall. I am still going to be green for quite a bit longer!

Comment

• sikoniko
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Classe4me
      Hey Sikoniko, I am a little confused by your poll. I haven't stayed on top of the SSP-800 forums as much as those that have been anxiously awaiting it's arrival but did not realize that there could even be an option or possibility of getting a pre-production model. I thought that Classe would operate like Apple and not release the product until it is ready to go. Your first choice makes my little narrow mind think that maybe there are going to be a select group of units available for beta testing perhaps?? Could you please clarify this for me so that I may understand if there is an option there that exists that I am not aware of.

FWIW, I am very pleased with my SSP-600 and after listening to some of my DTS DVDs I just can't hardly imagine it getting much better for my ears. I do listen to some 2 channel music at times but am also extremely pleased with the feedback my ears are giving me.

On the other hand, we all know and have been at that place where we say we are satisfied and not going to do anything else and BAM, off to spend more money. I suppose once the product is in it's "totally finished" state and a person would not have to worry about or deal with the upgrades then I may consider it. If Classe does a trade-up program then that may sway my decision as well.

Hope my question isn't totally off the wall. I am still going to be green for quite a bit longer!

I updated the first post to address your question with the announcement made yesterday so this thread could stand on its own.

I agree with your feelings towards the SSP-600. It is an excellent SSP!

Comment

• Nolan B
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2005

Thats funny....the second quote there is from my dealer.

Comment

• Classe4me
          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by sikoniko
          I updated the first post to address your question with the announcement made yesterday so this thread could stand on its own.

I agree with your feelings towards the SSP-600. It is an excellent SSP!
          After jumping the gun and going to page 21 of the 800 forum I was able to see exactly what you meant. Definitely a case of leaping before I looked! I thought I needed to dig out the flame proof suit but then it dawned on me that this is Club Classe and is most definitely the Classe'ist bunch of guys I have ever dealt with on any forum.

My former love, and one I still have a love affair with, is cars. It's ridiculous how rude, snobby, and insulting some people can be on the automotive forums.

I go to these to learn and there are those of you who are here to teach and educate the one's like myself that need help and advice because of how new I am to this hobby....errr addiction that I have been nabbed up by.

I just want to say thank you to all of you guys that do indeed help and educate rather than flame and criticize.

I assure you there will be many more questions to come!

Thanks again!

Comment

• sikoniko
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Classe4me
            After jumping the gun and going to page 21 of the 800 forum I was able to see exactly what you meant. Definitely a case of leaping before I looked! I thought I needed to dig out the flame proof suit but then it dawned on me that this is Club Classe and is most definitely the Classe'ist bunch of guys I have ever dealt with on any forum.

My former love, and one I still have a love affair with, is cars. It's ridiculous how rude, snobby, and insulting some people can be on the automotive forums.

I go to these to learn and there are those of you who are here to teach and educate the one's like myself that need help and advice because of how new I am to this hobby....errr addiction that I have been nabbed up by.

I just want to say thank you to all of you guys that do indeed help and educate rather than flame and criticize.

I assure you there will be many more questions to come!

Thanks again!
            The thing that is important is to remember that we should respect and enjoy each others knowledge and opinion. We don't have to agree on everything.

Comment

• taker
              • Aug 2005

I"m on the fence about this one I need more HDMI inputs

Comment

• RebelMan
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by taker
                You could add the new Oppo HDMI Switcher and get three more inputs in that case.
                "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• wettou
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • May 2006

The thing that is important is to remember that we should respect and enjoy each others knowledge and opinion. We don't have to agree on everything.
                  Sikoniko,

Yes that's why this is interesting we should be able to share opinions and likes and dislike with the ability to stay gentlemanly. :T

It will be fun to read all the different opinions when we actually have access to the product and can compare it, listen to it, see it and enjoy it

Takahashi
                  Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• taker
                    • Aug 2005

Originally posted by RebelMan
                    You could add the new Oppo HDMI Switcher and get three more inputs in that case.

no thanks I think for $10K I should get more than 4 HDMI inputs, heck they could take away a couple of components inputs and add a couple of HDMI inputs ... I'm not sure what I'm gonna do 8)

Comment

• RebelMan
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

no thanks I think for $10K I should get more than 4 HDMI inputs, heck they could take away a couple of components inputs and add a couple of HDMI inputs ... I'm not sure what I'm gonna do 8)
                      I understand your position, can't please everyone though and some people can never be satisfied no matter what. I will say this, if I had to make a decision between SQ and an extra HDMI connection or two, I would re-evaluate my selection of sources and put what I use most often or find the most important on HDMI. SSPs were(are) commanding more than $8K before HDMI came along and we all got along just fine.

Comment

• wettou
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • May 2006

How much stuff d you have to plug in that use HDMi

- Blu Ray Player
                        - HD-DVD
                        - SACD
                        - Cable box

What else!!
                        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• sikoniko
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Aug 2003

for me, the problem comes in when you add game systems. At this time, my xbox360 is component, but if a replacement comes out, it will be hdmi, as the 360 is already available with hdmi... And one day I might want to hook up a media center... all while i have the list you made wettou.

Comment

• wettou
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • May 2006

for me, the problem comes in when you add game systems. At this time, my xbox360 is component, but if a replacement comes out, it will be hdmi, as the 360 is already available with hdmi... And one day I might want to hook up a media center... all while i have the list you made wettou.
                            I see well in that case! I am of simple needs and four HDMi input is plenty for me (Blu Ray player and SACD) I use coax for the Ipod

Comment

• taker
                              • Aug 2005

Originally posted by wettou
                              How much stuff d you have to plug in that use HDMi

- Blu Ray Player
                              - HD-DVD
                              - SACD
                              - Cable box

What else!!
                              Here is the list of componets that I plan to use in my home theater using HDMI

Blu-ray\HD-DVD Hybrid player(Samsung)
                              Tivo Series 3
                              Xbox 360
                              Kalidescape
                              Direct -TV hr21-700
                              Computer\With HDMI out for video only
                              Wii

8)

Comment

• beden1
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Oct 2006

Tivo Series 3
                                Xbox 360
                                Kalidescape
                                Direct -TV hr21-700
                                Wii

8)
                                With this many components requiring HDMI inputs, then Rebelman's suggestion to get the Oppo HDMI Switcher may be your best alternative. I don't think any pre-pro offers this many HDMI inputs.

Comment

• taker
                                  • Aug 2005

Originally posted by beden1
                                  With this many components requiring HDMI inputs, then Rebelman's suggestion to get the Oppo HDMI Switcher may be your best alternative. I don't think any pre-pro offers this many HDMI inputs.

I understand there is Oppo HDMI switcher but I would prefer the SSP 800 to have at least 6 HDMI .. like I said I'm on the fence about this purchase. 8)

Comment

• beden1
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Oct 2006

I understand there is Oppo HDMI switcher but I would prefer the SSP 800 to have at least 6 HDMI .. like I said I'm on the fence about this purchase. 8)
                                    Then the Denon AVP-A1HDCI: Ultra-Reference 12 Channel A/V Home Theater/MultiMedia Preamplifier with Network Streaming and Wi-Fi looks like the unit for you, except you'll still need a switcher for your 7th HDMI input needs (this model only has six HDMI inputs).

Comment

• taker
                                      • Aug 2005

Then the Denon AVP-A1HDCI: Ultra-Reference 12 Channel A/V Home Theater/MultiMedia Preamplifier with Network Streaming and Wi-Fi looks like the unit for you, except you'll still need a switcher for your 7th HDMI input needs (this model only has six HDMI inputs).

Six is all I need. I may have to rethink my components... I'm not a real denon fan :T

Comment

• wettou
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • May 2006

Here is the list of componets that I plan to use in my home theater using HDMI: Kalidescape
                                        Very nice I had the opportunity to buy one below dealer cost but decided not to when I saw that they sell a 1T hard drive for $1400 !!!! Great software too bad Apple is not letting iTune manage movies, (thanks to the studios!) that might kill Kaleidescape.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • Mar 2005

Six is all I need. I may have to rethink my components... I'm not a real denon fan :T
                                          While I agree it would be nice to have as many HDMI connections as possible, I'm not certain that you really need that many. For instance, I doubt the fidelity of the Wii really warrants the high bandwidth, convenience of one cable not withstanding. Compromises abound, so you gotta pick them wisely. :T

Comment

• taker
                                            • Aug 2005

While I agree it would be nice to have as many HDMI connections as possible, I'm not certain that you really need that many. For instance, I doubt the fidelity of the Wii really warrants the high bandwidth, convenience of one cable not withstanding. Compromises abound, so you gotta pick them wisely. :T

Thanks I'm working that issue :T

Comment

• sikoniko
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Aug 2003

ya, but the wii is only component... :P

Comment

• wettou
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • May 2006

I find interesting that the number of people waiting for Classé SSP-800 to have the DSP upgraded and all new codec available are the same as the number of people pre-ordering units! Also based on this we have 8 Classé Fans total that is far from 200 preorder

I guess no everyone is a true believer!

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Aug 2003

I find interesting that the number of people waiting for Classé SSP-800 to have the DSP upgraded and all new codec available are the same as the number of people pre-ordering units! Also based on this we have 8 Classé Fans total that is far from 200 preorder

I guess no everyone is a true believer!
                                                  Not sure I am following what you are saying?

I think its great for those who have participated with the poll thus far. I imagine this is only a small number in the grand scheme of people buying product. There are probably more silent readers than contributors.

I would expect that the majority of people to accept prototypes will be dealers.

Comment

• taker
                                                    • Aug 2005

I totaly understand .. Here is my perspective Classe has spent a lot of money in R&D on the SSP800 ( One would think ). I don't mind pay the extra dollars for a Highend AV.. I would expect it to have as many HDMI inputs as the DENON flagship AV but not as many as the Mark Levinson Nº 502 Media Console at $25K... I think that this is not unreasonable. I mean that this is Classe Flagship AV and it look like they went cheapo on HDMI I know they are better than this :T

I hope I didn't offend anyone 8)

Comment

• wettou
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • May 2006

I totaly understand .. Here is my perspective Classé has spent a lot of money in R&D on the SSP800 ( One would think ):rofl:. I don't mind paying the extra dollars for a High end AV.. I would expect it to have as many HDMI inputs as the DENON flagship AV.... I mean that this is Classé Flagship AV and it look like they went cheapo: :B on HDMI I know they are better than this I hope I didn't offend anyone:takecover:
                                                      Well "you can't always get what you want". If the number of HDMi is not enough then you should look elsewhere.

My issue is Classé says that they conducted market research. The results of this market research told them what people wanted and the following things where not important to customers for the new processor?

Classé said their customers told them no need for:
                                                      - THX Ultra 2 Loudness Plus processing and certification we build beyond that :roll:
                                                      - Automatic equalization such as Audyssey i doesn't work anyway :E
                                                      - Video upscaling like Silicon Optix Realta or Anchor Bay ABT2010
                                                      - More than 4 HDMi that should be enough
                                                      - DD Tru HD and DTS Master Audio with the first release it should be done in the player anyway?

So I would like to know how many people they asked questions to design the Classé SSP-800 pre/pro. I probably can live with these short falls except for the last one, as long as the sound is as good as they say it is. I will find out after I listen rather than Jo telling me it is the best he has ever heard, let me be the judge of that!!

My view is that Classé/B&W didn't want to pay the licensing fees and technologies so they left it them of the SSP-800 and are still charging a bundle. You still get one of the best looking pre/pro out there and looks has to count for something:T

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                        • Mar 2005

I totaly understand .. Here is my perspective Classe has spent a lot of money in R&D on the SSP800 ( One would think ). I don't mind pay the extra dollars for a Highend AV.. I would expect it to have as many HDMI inputs as the DENON flagship AV but not as many as the Mark Levinson Nº 502 Media Console at $25K... I think that this is not unreasonable. I mean that this is Classe Flagship AV and it look like they went cheapo on HDMI I know they are better than this :T
                                                        I am sure that Classe' wanted to also but at the risk of alienating others they decided the best compromise at this time was to bridge past and present proportionately. The SSP-800 strikes the right balance between connector types and count and packs them into a reasonable chassis form factor.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                          • Mar 2005

ya, but the wii is only component... :P
                                                          Do you come to the same conclusion from reading his list? :W

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Aug 2003

I am sure that Classe' wanted to also but at the risk of alienating others they decided the best compromise at this time was to bridge past and present proportionately. The SSP-800 strikes the right balance between connector types and count and packs them into a reasonable chassis form factor.
                                                            Guessing from the back layout, this was probably the best they could come up with and maintain the SSP-600/800 form factor.

But I am of the camp that thinks it would have been nice to have more HDMI ports.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                              • Mar 2005

Well "you can't always get what you want". If the number of HDMi is not enough then you should look elsewhere.

My issue is Classé says that they conducted market research. The results of this market research told them what people wanted and the following things where not important to customers for the new processor?

Classé said their customers told them no need for:
                                                              - THX Ultra 2 Loudness Plus processing and certification we build beyond that :roll:
                                                              - Automatic equalization such as Audyssey i doesn't work anyway :E
                                                              - Video upscaling like Silicon Optix Realta or Anchor Bay ABT2010
                                                              - More than 4 HDMi that should be enough
                                                              - DD Tru HD and DTS Master Audio with the first release it should be done in the player anyway?

So I would like to know how many people they asked questions to design the Classé SSP-800 pre/pro. I probably can live with these short falls except for the last one, as long as the sound is as good as they say it is. I will find out after I listen rather than Jo telling me it is the best he has ever heard, let me be the judge of that!!
                                                              The results of their research probably showed that....

1.) Most people don't have 7.1 systems to take advantage of THX Ultra2.
                                                              2.) Most people are incompetent when it comes to REQ or would rather not bother with it.
                                                              3.) I've eleborated elsewhere on this subject.
                                                              4.) Four HDMI inputs and two HDMI outputs is sufficient for most people with serious AV needs.
                                                              5.) HBR to come but again is not necessary to enjoy it's benefits.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                • Mar 2005

But I am of the camp that thinks it would have been nice to have more HDMI ports.
                                                                I see the value in it also but not if it means sacrificing sound quality or paying exorbitant prices just to have it.

Comment

• rompower
                                                                  • May 2008

Seriously... WII in HDMI? lol that console is like 800X680 lol a s-video cable will do the job...
                                                                  Also, computer.. Simply connect it to your projector or TV there's no need to use the hdmi of the SSP when no audio is required.. especially for a.. PC!

Tivo Series 3
                                                                  Xbox 360
                                                                  Kalidescape
                                                                  Direct -TV hr21-700
                                                                  Wii

8)

Comment

• wettou
                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                    • May 2006

2.) Most people are incompetent when it comes to REQ or would rather not bother with it.
                                                                    4.) Four HDMI inputs and two HDMI outputs is sufficient for most people with serious AV needs.
                                                                    With all due respect RebelMan, I disagree with your argument. Classé incorporated 10 analog audio so they could have included THX Ultra 2 Plus, in addition customers in this price range have 7.1 systems.

For the HDMi, Classé could have eliminated 2 S-Video, 2 Composite, and 1 Component input and replaced them with two more HDM1. Who with that caliber equipment uses composite or S-Video!!! The system in my gym has a DVD and still has a VCR attached to it. The VCR unit has not been on since 1997, just collecting dust!!

Again I believe that Classé wanted to pay the least amount of money to outside parties which is why they omitted (THX, Audyssey and Silicon Optix...)

I personaly don't need video scaling as I beleive that the Oppo DV-983H does an oustanding job for DVDs and Blu Ray doesn't need any scalling! But on the audio side it would have been nice to have THX Ultra 2 Plus and Audyssey regardless.... :B

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                      • Jan 2006

I am not taking part in the poll as it is not my intention to purchase a processor at this time. Having stated this, if I were to get something right now, the SSP-800 comes the closest to suiting my needs:

1. It is unlikely that I will look towards owning a 7.1 system. So, don't need the THX Ultra2.
                                                                      2. REQ? I can live without it.
                                                                      3. Video upscaling? I'm an audio nerd, not a video nerd
                                                                      4. Four HDMI inputs and two HDMI outputs is more than sufficient for me.
                                                                      5. HBR to come but again is not necessary to enjoy it's benefits. - this I agree with.

Classé's primary committment to audio quality is also something that I find extremely appealing.

:T

Comment

• taker
                                                                        Junior Member
                                                                        • Aug 2005

Originally posted by rompower
                                                                        Seriously... WII in HDMI? lol that console is like 800X680 lol a s-video cable will do the job...
                                                                        Also, computer.. Simply connect it to your projector or TV there's no need to use the hdmi of the SSP when no audio is required.. especially for a.. PC!

Seriously .. The PC output & Audio and video should go into the SSP 800 it is a HTGPC. 8)
                                                                        Last edited by taker; 05 August 2008, 12:06 Tuesday.

Comment

• Hberg
                                                                          Member
                                                                          • Apr 2008

Everyone has the personal preferences. I have mine, and I will be getting the SSP-800. (No disrespect to anyone. These are just my personal preferences.)

I have a 7.1 system, and I have always had a 7.1 system. I just enjoy the sound experience more with a 7.1 system, and I do not necessarily need THX to enjoy a 7.1 system. In addition, I think I can calibrate a system to my own satisfaction.

Right now, I have two HDMI devices (DirecTV HD Box and a PS3). The DVD Player is hooked up via the component inputs. The CD Player is connected through the Digital Connections. If I obtain the CDT-300, I will use one more HDMI input, and I will retire the DVD Player and CD Player. The only other option I may need in the future would be a HD Tuner.
                                                                          "If 'A' equals success, then the formula is 'A = _ X + Y + Z.' 'X' is work. 'Y' is play. 'Z' is keeping your mouth shut." -- Albert Einstein

Comment

• rompower
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • May 2008
                                                                            • 241

get a audio card with coax out...
                                                                            (Revolution 5.1 or 7.1 do a nice job)

Seriously .. The PC output 8 Audio and video should go into the SSP 800 it is a HTGPC. 8)

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                                              • Mar 2005
                                                                              • 3139

#39
                                                                              With all due respect RebelMan, I disagree with your argument. Classé incorporated 10 analog audio so they could have included THX Ultra 2 Plus, in addition customers in this price range have 7.1 systems.
                                                                              Heh, don't quote me I was just speculating.

The 10 outputs are included so as to accommodate the potential needs of all listeners and their sources and setups but THX isn't a requirement to enjoy 7.1 surround sound. If the mix is mastered correctly to start with THX won't be necessary at all. Think about this, do you need matrix processing across your L and R channels for stereo mixes? In theory you shouldn't need it across TRUE 7.1 mixes either and for times when you do there's DPL IIX standing by to assist. I agree it would have been nice to include THX but not if it meant giving something else up as it isn't necessary.

Again I believe that Classé wanted to pay the least amount of money to outside parties which is why they omitted (THX, Audyssey and Silicon Optix...)

But on the audio side it would have been nice to have THX Ultra 2 Plus and Audyssey regardless.... :B
                                                                              If you get the results you're looking for (you must already know this going in or else you are guessing as to why you think you need NOTHX and FUDyssey), does it matter one way or the other? Something to think about. :W

Comment

• wettou
                                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                • May 2006
                                                                                • 3389

#40
                                                                                Heh, don't quote me I was just speculating. The 10 outputs are included so as to accommodate the potential needs of all listeners and their sources and setups but THX isn't a requirement to enjoy 7.1 surround sound. If the mix is mastered correctly to start with THX won't be necessary at all. Think about this, do you need matrix processing across your L and R channels for stereo mixes? In theory you shouldn't need it across TRUE 7.1 mixes either and for times when you do there's DPL IIX standing by to assist. I agree it would have been nice to include THX but not if it meant giving something else up as it isn't necessary.

If you get the results you're looking for (you must already know this going in or else you are guessing as to why you think you need NOTHX and FUDyssey), does it matter one way or the other? Something to think about. :W
                                                                                I don't listen to much stereo any more I love multichannel SACD and all the movies are in 5.1 or 7.1 anyway.

Yes I understand if the 7.1 encoding is done well it should not be necessary to have THX, it would still be nice to have as an option.

On an other note if Audyssey doesn't work or is no good then why all these great reviews from: The Absolute Sound, Audio Video Revolution, Sound on Sound, UltimateAVMag.com, Widescreen Review, Home Theater Magazine, Sound & Vision Magazine.....

I need to give it a try for myself until then I am on the fence, If Classé only had incorporated THX Ultra2 Loudness Plus and Audyssey Pro. I would have preordered it already

Comment

• beden1
                                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                                  • Oct 2006
                                                                                  • 1676

#41
                                                                                  I don't listen to much stereo any more I love multichannel SACD and all the movies are in 5.1 or 7.1 anyway.

Yes I understand if the 7.1 encoding is done well it should not be necessary to have THX, it would still be nice to have as an option.

On an other note if Audyssey doesn't work or is no good then why all these great reviews from: The Absolute Sound, Audio Video Revolution, Sound on Sound, UltimateAVMag.com, Widescreen Review, Home Theater Magazine, Sound & Vision Magazine.....

I need to give it a try for myself until then I am on the fence, If Classé only had incorporated THX Ultra2 Loudness Plus and Audyssey Pro. I would have preordered it already
                                                                                  I have been thinking of pushing the button and ordering an SSP-800. Just to cover my bases, and since I was also considering the Denon unit, I spent considerable time last night looking for a Denon dealer near to my SE Florida residence. The only ones I could find were Circuit City (don't carry the top of the line Denon), and two custom HT installers. None of the local high end specialty retailers are Denon dealers (within 50 miles). I also checked the on-line authorized dealers, and you had to special order one at list price since they probably don't stock these pricey units.

The lack of local dealer support is a huge problem for me, particularly since this is a complicated unit. Plus, since Denon is such a large company, I would doubt the factory customer service is very personalized, comprehensive or expedited.

The one thing that I am confident about, is that the service provided by Classe is personalized and very good.

Comment

• wettou
                                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                    • May 2006
                                                                                    • 3389

#42
                                                                                    The lack of local dealer support is a huge problem for me, particularly since this is a complicated unit. Plus, since Denon is such a large company, I would doubt the factory customer service is very personalized, comprehensive or expedited. The one thing that I am confident about, is that the service provided by Classe is personalized and very good.
                                                                                    I completely agree with you customer support for Denon is a :rofl:, I would never buy a Denon for $7,000.

Classé thrive on outstanding customer support I experienced it myself.

If I don't buy the Classé SSP-800. I will get the new Integra DTC 9.9 it has it all! ($1600 MSRP)

Comment

• rompower
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • May 2008
                                                                                      • 241

#43
                                                                                      Wettou:

I'm sure you'll buy the ssp-800, stop complaining! You will buy it as soon as you see some good review here.. ;P

Comment

• wettou
                                                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                        • May 2006
                                                                                        • 3389

#44
                                                                                        Originally posted by rompower
                                                                                        Wettou: I'm sure you'll buy the ssp-800, stop complaining! You will buy it as soon as you see some good review here.. ;P
                                                                                        I am not complaining just wishing, only the future will tell :lol:

Comment

• rompower
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • May 2008
                                                                                          • 241

#45
                                                                                          ok. I bet on you'll order it within 4 weeks

Open a new poll

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"