X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

The first SSP-800 review - Definitive Audio '08

The purpose of this review is to give my opinion of what I witnessed and observed based on 3 different days of listening to the SSP-800. Please keep in mind that I have never heard this room before, so I can not say how it would sound under any other variable.

The room:
    The room was labeled number 3. I will post pictures at a later time. It was presented as a "theater" room in that all of the walls were basically treated. The room had little ornamentation, and two sets of shelves on either side of the back wall, on opposing sides of the entrance door, which was centered.

The front wall had a 2.35 Stewart firehawk with an automated masking system, though it was never used. I believe the projector was a Runco VX22 with an anamorphic lens used at 2.35 the entire time. The room was setup as a 7.1 system. B&W took the opportunity to make the world premier of the new CT8.4 for LCR speakers. There was two ASW-855 subs, and for surrounds and rears, DS8's were used.

Electronics consisted of two Omega mono's and an Omega Omnicron from Classe for the front three speakers. The back four speakers were powered by a pair of CA-2100's. There was a CDP-502 to present 2-channel audio, which was hooked into the processor via HDMI, a Pioneer BDP-95FD for Blu-Ray, and of course, the Classe SSP-800 was the processor.

Day 1:
    I arrived to Seattle on Tuesday and stopped by Definitive. They were in the process of setting up, and allowed me an hour or so in the Classe room while the Runco guys were setting up. He was playing around with different tracks from his own material. A copy of a "fan edited" Empire Strikes back hoth sequence was played, as well as Patton Blu-Ray and a DTS demo disk, including various tracks, such as X-Men 3 when Grey killed Xavier, presented in DTS-MA.

The system sounded quite alive. I realized how much I had missed the Classe sound after using a Krell Showcase the last two months while I wait for my order to arrive.

What I love about Classe that no other brand has ever been able to provide is that the "Classe" sound embraces me, surrounds me and excites me. It is the closest thing I have heard to reproducing a headphone experience. Instead of experiencing listening fatigue after a period of listening, I find that I want to listen more. The quality of the audio moves me, it involves me and it envelopes me completely.

Some may argue that Classe is not that it is too much of this or not enough of that, but what Classe is for me is three-dimensional. It represents audio in a way where you don't feel it is simply coming from some field off in the distance in front of you. You get the impression of depth from any source being listened to.

Day 2:
    The doors opened at 5:00pm and I found my way back to the Classe/ B&W room. I was greeted by Dave Nauber, who talked briefly to me about the SSP-800. The demo began. It started with Chris (Don't remember his last name) the VP of B&W, who introduced the new CT8.4. He stated that they are arguably as good as any of their 800 series speakers, but they require a sub for lower regions. The demo was a song off of Led Zeppelin 3. The name slips me at this point. It was very nice to listen to. I was not able to get the prime listening seat, but imaging was still great. Jimmy Page was /is a great producer. This track was played off of the CDP-502. Next, Dave got up and spoke about the new SSP-800. After his brief sales pitch, he played the Blu-Ray of Dave Mathews "crash into you". I'm not a Dave Mathews fan, but it sounded very good. It was Dave and one other guy playing acoustic guitars and it sounded very nice. So much to the fact that I can say that I don't like the guitar strings they were using. I felt he should have used a thicker string, but that is another story in itself. Point being that I picked up on those nuances. The last piece was the Runco demo of Spiderman 3, when the crane goes crazy and the blond chick falls off the side of the building. The overall presentation was very immersive, just as you would expect from a move. You didn't focus on the system, but just enjoyed the movie. Stuff boomed, and panned in a very even and consistent presentation. All very cleanly. The quiet times were dead quiet and the loud times were just right.

Day 3:
    The third night I brought some people from Microsoft with me for a listen. They weren't really prepared to start when it did, so they put on the Blu-Ray of Hart's War for us to watch for a half-hour. All I have to say is that is demo material. When the planes are flying around the room, it sounds like they were over-head. I've never seen this movie, but I plan on buying it now.

The rest of the event was pretty much the same with the exception that they changed from Led Zepplin to a blues artist. It was a very nice track, but I don't know who it was and had never heard it before.

For Home Theater, I thought the B&W CT8.4's were fantastic. I was really surprised, and if I was building a dedicated room from scratch, they would definately be near the top of my list. I was mixed on how I felt about them for 2 channel music listening though. I believe I would still prefer a nice marlan head speaker over the CT's.

In conclusion. The SSP-800 is a Classe product. If you are familiar with the sound of the SSP-600/300 and liked it, you will absolutely LOVE the new SSP-800. If you didn't like the SSP-600/300, you won't like the SSP-800. It is as simple as that. Classe did not change their sound for this product. They just took what they had and gave it more.

If you have never heard either of these, I highly recommend that you give it a chance when looking for a new processor. It is stripped of many of the features that some others are offering near its price range, so you will have to decide if the trade-off is worth it or not. I think if you listen to it, you will enjoy it, but the beauty of this hobby is that we can agree to disagree.

I'll post some pictures later. There were two SSP-800's. One for the Demo, and one that had the top removed for display of the internals.
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...
  • alebonau
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Oct 2005

good write up there sikoniko, harts war a real favourite for me on blu-ray. have used it for demoes before as well, especially those plane scenes the dts-hdma track of it really puts you in the midst of things.

interesting you mention you prefer it over the krell, never been a fan of the krell stuff myself, neither the av pre or the 2ch pre I've checked out always found it to have that "go for the throat" kind of sound !

anyways look forward to the pics, especially internals, always keen to have a peek inside things
    "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• sikoniko
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by alebonau
      good write up there sikoniko, harts war a real favourite for me on blu-ray. have used it for demoes before as well, especially those plane scenes the dts-hdma track of it really puts you in the midst of things.

interesting you mention you prefer it over the krell, never been a fan of the krell stuff myself, neither the av pre or the 2ch pre I've checked out always found it to have that "go for the throat" kind of sound !

anyways look forward to the pics, especially internals, always keen to have a peek inside things
      Thanks for the kind words. I wanted to provide people a better frame of reference. I'll go into more detail when I can report back on my own.

The Krell is strictly an ends to a means. Not something I would have chosen. My wife hates the Krell. She makes me so proud by being able to identify why she doesn't like it. "get rid of that tinny sounding processor!"

Comment

• dmccombs
        • Sep 2006

Sikoniko,

Great Review. Thanks for taking the time to post the info and your impressions.

I think you have folks on the edge of their seat now.

Darrell

Comment

• sikoniko
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2003

and now for something completely silly...

The pictures are coming...

Attached Files

Comment

• sikoniko
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2003

More Pics

Attached Files

Comment

• sikoniko
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2003

What do you think so far? There's more where that came from...

Comment

• RebelMan
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Keep'em coming!
                "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• sikoniko
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Aug 2003

I've decided to post one pic a day for the next few days. The picture quality varies, but maybe it will give everyone something to look forward to until ship time...

Comment

• wettou
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • May 2006

Originally posted by sikoniko
                    The pictures are coming...

Thanks for the pictures, and then you wonder why American die from massive heart attack!!
                    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• wettou
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • May 2006

In conclusion. The SSP-800 is a Classe product. If you are familiar with the sound of the SSP-600/300 and liked it, you will absolutely LOVE the new SSP-800. If you didn't like the SSP-600/300, you won't like the SSP-800. It is as simple as that. Classe did not change their sound for this product. They just took what they had and gave it more. I think if you listen to it, you will enjoy it, but the beauty of this hobby is that we can agree to disagree.
                      Thank you, I think the SP-600 sound is outstanding, so I am assuming the SSP-800 will be even better! Did Dave told you when the upgrade will be available with the new Codec. Until then I will continue using the Integra Research RDC 7, six more month is not a big deal!
                      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• KahunaCanuck
                        • May 2008

Thanks for the detailed review and pix...this is great when a forum can get info out so fast!
                        Kahuna's Theatre

Comment

• sikoniko
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Aug 2003

Originally posted by wettou
                          Thank you, I think the SP-600 sound is outstanding, so I am assuming the SSP-800 will be even better!
                          Imagine the quality that the CP-700 and CDP202 provides in 2 channel, only you get it when watching movies as well, and that is what you'll get with the SSP-800.

Did Dave told you when the upgrade will be available with the new Codec. Until then I will continue using the Integra Research RDC 7, six more month is not a big deal!

I posted this on the other thread, but I did get word about the upgrade DSP.

They have it in house for testing, but the same person that is responisble for implementation is responsible for getting the SSP-800 ready to ship. Dave projected that it will be late this year, or early next year. I didn't really ask him to commit to a time-frame, because anything unforseen can happen. It wouldn't have been realistic.

They are exploring some ideas with the new DSP outside of HBR, but everything is currently in the idea phase from what I gathered.

Comment

• sikoniko
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Aug 2003

Attached Files

Comment

• beden1
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Oct 2006

Thanks for the pictures, and then you wonder why American die from massive heart attack!!
                              I agree. What a motley crew that is. They look more like comic book junkies than into hi-fi and HT. Unless of course they are a waiting for a viewing of Star Wars! :E

Comment

• sikoniko
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Aug 2003

While I was away, I received a pair of SCMs's to make my system 7.1. When I got home on Saturday I mounted them, and played Pearl Harbor (BD) to hear my system. I realize this is only 5.1, but the Krell does THX, and until I can do PCM, true 7.1 won't really be a reality for me.

I wanted to report back on my impressions of my home system after hearing the Classe. The beauty of the Classe is in the intangibles. It's the difference between being cold and using a blanket to warm up and nestling up to your significant other beside a warm fire.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Aug 2003

Attached Files

Comment

• wettou
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • May 2006

Too bad the pictures are out of focus, thanks My dealer told me he won't expect anything until the end of July!

Comment

• sikoniko
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Aug 2003

ya, there is something wrong with my wife's camera... i didnt realize it at the time since i couldnt download the pics until i got home.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Aug 2003

yesterdays..

todays...

Attached Files

Comment

• wettou
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • May 2006

SSP-800 may be in July more likely in August

If the market continues to crash I think a number of people might rethink spending that kind of cash on a pre/pro, but hey what the heck, "We only live once"

Comment

• beden1
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Oct 2006

SSP-800 may be in July more likely in August

If the market continues to crash I think a number of people might rethink spending that kind of cash on a pre/pro, but hey what the heck, "We only live once"
                                            I got out of the markets last November and have been patiently waiting to get back in. I think my patience needs to endure for the near future.

Between the rising oil markets, lack luster fiancial markets, low interest rate returns on savings . . . (remainder of post removed by admin)
                                            Last edited by Kevin P; 28 June 2008, 07:54 Saturday. Reason: Politics

Comment

• wettou
                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                              • May 2006

There is always hope, we will see what the future brings!! Now if only Classé would start shipping I could demo this a decide if it is money well spent!
                                              Last edited by Kevin P; 28 June 2008, 07:54 Saturday. Reason: Removed quote that was removed above

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Aug 2003

Attached Files

Comment

• wettou
                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                  • May 2006

Very clean back nice!

Comment

• ryst
                                                    • May 2007

to bad they still "insist" on having s-video and component in/out puts.
                                                    I would like see more HDMI inputs instead.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Aug 2003

The video board and back of the SSP are not integrated, so theoretically, it could be swapped out without replacing anything else...

I didn't discuss that aspect with Dave, so don't read anything into it. I'm just saying... pictures speak 1000 words.

Attached Files

Comment

• wettou
                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                        • May 2006

Originally posted by ryst
                                                        to bad they still "insist" on having s-video and component in/out puts. I would like see more HDMI inputs instead.
                                                        S-video any one still using VHS tapes!!!! I agree what a waste actually I wished Classé could come out with an all digital processor forget analogue.

Yes I know this might ruffle some feathers but to each his own.

Comment

• Z Man
                                                          • Jan 2008

sikoniko,

Excellent review!
                                                          My Martin Logan Theater
                                                          My DVD Collection
                                                          My CD Collection

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Aug 2003

S-video any one still using VHS tapes!!!! I agree what a waste actually I wished Classé could come out with an all digital processor forget analogue.

Yes I know this might ruffle some feathers but to each his own.
                                                            They could have asked you to design the feature list and build it to your spec and you would still find something to complain about. I think you complain just because you find it amusing to see the reaction you'll get. How many aliases do you use just to get people riled up?
                                                            Last edited by sikoniko; 29 June 2008, 18:12 Sunday.

Comment

• ryst
                                                              • May 2007

Complain? I do my "voice" heard and mayby someone take notice that the public don't want s-video anymore. This is how we change the future, we don't aplaude old technique 8O

btw, I have one SSP-800 on pre order but still I wish they do some changes :

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                • Mar 2005

The SSP-800 is the first step in the direction of a fully digital processor. It will take time to get there but some day the time will come. Until then Classé has to evaluate where technology is and where it is going and bridge the needs of both types of clientele. The choices they made for the SSP-800 will not satifsfy everyone completely but they will meet the majority of their concerns.
                                                                "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Glen B
                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                  • Jul 2004

any one still using VHS tapes!!!!
                                                                  Since you asked, I have movies on VHS tape that were never re-released on DVD or are just no longer in print and many historical documentaries recorded on VHS that I've accumulated over the years. I have a VCR/CD recorder combo that I've been using to slowly transfer the documentaries to DVD-R but its a time-consuming process.

Comment

• wettou
                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                    • May 2006

Originally posted by Glen B
                                                                    Since you asked, I have movies on VHS tape that were never re-released on DVD or are just no longer in print and many historical documentaries recorded on VHS that I've accumulated over the years. I have a VCR/CD recorder combo that I've been using to slowly transfer the documentaries to DVD-R but its a time-consuming process.
                                                                    Well we also have VHS tapes of movies never transferred in DVD but they are in the garage collecting dust. I tried once to watch a VHS and it was so bad that I stopped it after 5 minutes.

So as I said Classé should release an SSP-700 or what ever number that is 100% digital with HDMi 1.3. I would be the first one in line

Comment

• wettou
                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                      • May 2006

They could have asked you to design the feature list and build it to your spec and you would still find something to complain about. :amen:

I think you complain just because you find it amusing to see the reaction you'll get. How many aliases do you use just to get people riled up? :yesnod:
                                                                      Yes it works it seems you take the bite every time. :B

If Classé asked me about it, here is what I would tell them.

Build it the same as you have now

Plus
                                                                      + 3 more HDMi 1.3,
                                                                      + THX Ultra 2 Plus
                                                                      + Lyngdorf EQ
                                                                      + All new codec incorporated

get rid of S Video and component video

and that is all :T

Anyway I will probably end-up buying the SSP-800 since I love my amps CA-5200 :sn

On another note if I had the cash here is what I would buy

I have a grand Steinway but this would be awesome

Comment

• dmccombs
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Sep 2006

Anyway I will probably end-up buying the SSP-800 since I love my amps CA-5200 :sn
                                                                        That would be great. Then we could hear you complain about what the SSP-800 doesn't have, even more often. That would be terrific, really, great idea. :??

Seriously though, I think you need to get the SSP-800 when it comes out. Despite the SSP-800 not having all the features you want, you seem to be holding out for it. I assume it is because you feel, like everyone else here, that the SQ will be amazing.

Darrell

Comment

• rompower
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • May 2008

Wettou, the system you put a link to is 150 000$ :P

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                            • Aug 2003
                                                                            • 2299

get rid of S Video and component video

I need component for my Wii! The wife would be VERY VERY VERY upset if our Wii did not work in the theater room.

Comment

• nyny
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Jul 2004
                                                                              • 128

#39
                                                                              No Dolby Headphone? It's a feature that would be nice to have for those late night movie watching or video gaming.
                                                                              Tony

Comment

• Glen B
                                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                                • Jul 2004
                                                                                • 1106

#40
                                                                                My cable TV service provider's HD descrambler boxes have s-video, composite and component video connections, no HDMI. Therefore, some of us still have a need for these older connections.

Comment

• wettou
                                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                  • May 2006
                                                                                  • 3389

#41
                                                                                  Originally posted by dmccombs
                                                                                  That would be great. Then we could hear you complain about what the SSP-800 doesn't have, even more often. That would be terrific, really, great idea. :?? Seriously though, I think you need to get the SSP-800 when it comes out. Despite the SSP-800 not having all the features you want, you seem to be holding out for it. I assume it is because you feel, like everyone else here, that the SQ will be amazing. Darrell
                                                                                  Darrel, yes I am holding out for the SSP-800 as you said because I hope that the sound will blow my socks off and at the end that is all I care about.

I hope that my SACD collection will be enlightened.

On an other note, I watched 10,000BC on Blu Ray last week and the sound track was really cool. The JL Audio F113 sub was shaking the walls.

Comment

• wettou
                                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                    • May 2006
                                                                                    • 3389

#42
                                                                                    Originally posted by Glen B
                                                                                    My cable TV service provider's HD descrambler boxes have s-video, composite and component video connections, no HDMI. Therefore, some of us still have a need for these older connections.
                                                                                    Yes I forgot, that 99% of the population has cable or satellite TV. We canceled our TV ten years ago as we never watched it too much garbage.

I thought that the cable/ satellite companies would upgrade their boxes to have HDMi!! I think now that HDMi 1.3 is here to stay, Wii, Xbox, will follow the lead of the PS3.

On the other hand my Sony SACD XA777ES doesn't have HDMi either so I probably would need to replace it if it was all digital.

Comment

• Glen B
                                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                                      • Jul 2004
                                                                                      • 1106

#43
                                                                                      We canceled our TV ten years ago as we never watched it too much garbage.
                                                                                      I hear you, but I watch nature/conservation/documentary type programming such as National Geographic, Equator Channel and History Channel, as well as music channels such as BET-J and Rave TV (for the Montreux Jazz Festival concert performances).

Comment

• alebonau
                                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                        • Oct 2005
                                                                                        • 992

#44
                                                                                        ~

On the other hand my Sony SACD XA777ES doesn't have HDMi either so I probably would need to replace it if it was all digital.
                                                                                        dont be crazy ! I have the SCD XA 9000es myself and reckon youd be nuts to replace the 777es. a beauifull player and brilliant with analog outs doesnt matter it doesnt have hdmi. its with its analog outs that its a gem
                                                                                        "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                                          • Mar 2006
                                                                                          • 2109

#45
                                                                                          dont be crazy ! I have the SCD XA 9000es myself and reckon youd be nuts to replace the 777es. a beauifull player and brilliant with analog outs doesnt matter it doesnt have hdmi. its with its analog outs that its a gem
                                                                                          Sure. As long as you have analog ins to connect them to. :W

Kal
                                                                                          Kal Rubinson
                                                                                          _______________________________
                                                                                          "Music in the Round"
                                                                                          Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
                                                                                          http://forum.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"