X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • clearwaterms
    • Nov 2006

comparing a few dayton DA175 designs

okay,

I am have been comparing these two Dayton DA175 designs.

One is the BAMTM from Zaph audio. It uses two DA175's in a MTM configuration with a seas 27tfdc. The other is plans available on partsexpress's website. it's called Vince's home theatre. Here is my question. I feel that John proved that the 7" DA175 can be crossed high enough not to need a midrange, thus further complicating the cross over, however there are no established center channels that would work with John's plan's. Vince's plans call for a three way using a 5 1/4" da135 driver but it also uses the vifa 1" dome tweeter. If a person wanted to use the BAMTM as the left and right channel, but wanted to use Vince's plan for a center channel (given that it's a 3 channel) but instead wanted to use the seas tweeter, what would be involved to modify the crossover to work. COuld you just take the cross over portion of the BAMTM that drives the tweeter and replace the Vifa portion on the Vince project? One is a 4th order LW, the other is a simple 2nd order. Also, it appears that the vifa is cross upped higher then the seas.

anybody have any thoughts? Everybody raves about the performance of the BAMTM given it's price point, but does anybody care to talk about vince's HT project?
  • Brian Bunge
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2001

Curt Campbell designed the speaker on the PE site. I had him modify the XO for a different Vifa tweeter and he had to completely rework the mid and tweeter crossover for both the towers and the center channel to accomodate my changes. So that is what it would take to do what you want.

I can tell you I've built two pairs of my modified towers and center channel, with the towers ported instead of sealed. My dad has one set and absolutely loves them, as does the other gentleman who I built these for. They have excellent bass response to the point where they do quite well even without a subwoofer. I was going to build a pair for myself before I ended up with my large Dayton RS MTMWW's.

Comment

• Rudy Jakubin
      • May 2005

Add 2 more DA175's and you'll have a pair of speakers that'll try and disassemble your house.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SchumakubinswithK1tweeterMTMWW-2.webp
Views:	33
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	944113
      Last edited by theSven; 05 July 2023, 11:06 Wednesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• LNeilB
        • Jun 2005

wow

What are those?? Very cool...

Comment

• Brian Bunge
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2001

Rudy,

I've thought about building that speaker with the Seas tweeter. I think that it has a lot of promise based on what Pete has shared with me about it.

Comment

• Rudy Jakubin
            • May 2005

Add 2 more DA175's and you'll have a pair of speakers that'll try and disassemble your house. Pictured here is Pete Schumachers MTMWW's which I've also built.
            Pete used the Hi-Vi K1 tweeter. I've tried the K1, Seas 27TDFC & TBFGC/G, Peerless HDS, RS28a & the North D25's. Presently I've got the Norths in there now. All crossovers were done by Pete and tested by me. Awesome speakers, clear and well defined bass that'll hammer you in the chest. Detailed mids and of course the tweeter of your choice. Sadly the North's are no longer sold. There is also a crossover for the Vifa Neo D26NC55.
            There is also a design with 4 DA175's in a TMWWWW using the RS52 mid and Dayton Neo. The imaging with these are superb. I've named mine the Pristina's.
            That's the first impression I've got when I listened to them for the first time.
            You must love bass because these speakers will reproduce them with resolution.
            You'll love the bass guitar, drums and the piano soundboard when the lower keys are played.
            Here's a link with more info;

Click image for larger version  Name:	SchumakubinswithK1tweeterMTMWW-2.webp Views:	0 Size:	33.3 KB ID:	944113
            Last edited by theSven; 05 July 2023, 11:14 Wednesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• cobbpa
              • Apr 2005

I had some of the DA715's and a couple other speakers lying around and this is what came of them:

I know it's a holiday weekend, and it really isn't urgent, but I have a combination of drivers that I would like to make into a pair of small towers or bookshelf speakers. I don't know how to use Speaker Workshop (I'm trying, but not getting very far..any kind of great tutorial around?) and I am guessing some people may want to

All the info is there if you're at all interested. The downfall: again, uses a Northcreek tweet.
              Last edited by theSven; 05 July 2023, 11:18 Wednesday. Reason: Update htguide url

Comment

• Heavy-D
                • Dec 2006

Any plans for these speakers?

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"