X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Club1820
    • Jan 2006

Subwoofer Spikes?

Hello. When talking to one of my friends regarding my subwoofer setup - he suggested that I put a piece of carpet under my subwoofer (it sits on ceramic tile floor) and install spikes to elevate it a little bit. He said that this would improve my bass output.

What do you guys think? I thought that you get less bass with carpeting? Although I think he suggested the piece of carpet in conjuction with the spikes. Basically to anchor the sub. Not so much as surface to enhance the bass. His primary suggestion was the spikes.

Thanks in advance for your comments.
    Rotel 1068, Rotel 1060, Rotel 1055, Rotel 1095, Rotel 956, Rotel RLC-1040, M&K VX-860 Sub, Whatmough M30s, Squeezebox 3
  • dyazdani
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Oct 2005

I'd probably get spikes and the little discs to set them on rather than a piece of carpet. It would look cleaner that way.
    Danish

Comment

• Club1820
      • Jan 2006

dyazdani, so you are recommending elevating the sub via spikes for better bass response?

Can you recommend any particular spikes or websites where I may pick these up?

Thanks.
      Rotel 1068, Rotel 1060, Rotel 1055, Rotel 1095, Rotel 956, Rotel RLC-1040, M&K VX-860 Sub, Whatmough M30s, Squeezebox 3

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

FWIW, I've got my Velodyne FSR-15 resting on Lovan Iso-points. Sold in threes, these are a rubber/poly compound with rounded brass points. They raise the sub off the floor effectively isolating it from the pier and beam construction of our house which gives me a cleaner sound.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Club1820
          • Jan 2006

Thanks David. Was their any noticeable improvement?

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Yes there was. It was fairly pronounced, too - not one of these subtle "I think I hear it" improvements.

Comment

• Club1820
              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by David Meek
              FWIW, I've got my Velodyne FSR-15 resting on Lovan Iso-points. Sold in threes, these are a rubber/poly compound with rounded brass points. They raise the sub off the floor effectively isolating it from the pier and beam construction of our house which gives me a cleaner sound.
              David, took a quick look on the net for these. as you state - sold in threes. Just curious, is it pretty sturdy with just three? I would have thought it would need four. ??

Also, what's the difference between the Iso-points and the Lovan Focal-points?

Not a bad price - $40 for the set.

Thanks.

Comment

• David Meek
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

The FSR-15 weighs about 95 pounds and is very stable with the three-foot setup. The Focal-points are height adjustable where the Iso-points aren't. That feature would be handy for turntables, or any disc-players that need to be level to perform at their best.

Comment

• Club1820
                  • Jan 2006

David, there isnt much info on the websites as to how these are installed. do you have to drill holes into the sub?

Thanks.

Comment

• David Meek
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

You just lift the sub up and slide the Iso-points under it at the positions you want. No drilling, glue or tape necessary. I'm not sure about the Focal-points.

Comment

• Club1820
                      • Jan 2006

Wow! Too Easy! Will pick some up and see how they do.

Thanks!

Comment

• Club1820
                        • Jan 2006

David, couple more question for you - hope you dont mind.

What type of floor do you have your sub on?

Do you play your music loud at times? If so, do you find that the sub does the shuffle on the floor? Or does it stay anchored even at high levels?

I dont tend to play my music as loud as I would like (2 little rugrats at home). But when I get the chance - my sub tends to dance a little bit on the floor. I was wondering how the Iso-points would handle this?

Should I put a piece of carpet under the sub to help anchor it or just leave the sub & Iso-points directly on the ceramic tiled floor?

Thanks again.

Comment

• David Meek
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

I've had my sub on three different floor types.

Currently, it's on a pier and beam with double-layer flooring and carpet above.

Second was a concrete slab with carpet above.

Earliest was a concrete slab with hardwood above.

I'll definitely crank it to eleven some times and I've never seen my sub move, even on the hardwood. The Iso-points should halt any movement as the rubber will absorb the energy. As far as putting carpet under your sub, I'd say try it with and then try it without and see which you prefer sonically. Your ears should always be the final judge.

Comment

• Club1820
                            • Jan 2006

Last question. I promise! Should I also order the discs that go underneath the points? Or would these only be used on carpet to protect it from the spikes? The Iso-points dont look as pointy actually as regular speaker spikes.

Thanks. I am going to order as soon as I get your response. :T

Comment

• dyazdani
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by David Meek
                              I've got Iso-points under my DVD player, they are quite nice. Like you said, easy installation too!
                              Danish

Comment

• Martyn
                                • Feb 2006

Seems to me that what you use would depend on what you're trying to do. If you're trying to isolate the mechanical vibration of your sub from your floor, then you should use resilient mounts whose compliance is tuned to suit the modes of vibration. If you're trying to resist Newton's third law, then you should use spikes to anchor the sub to the floor.

If your sub were to use two drivers in opposition to neutralise Newton's reactive forces, and the enclosure were infinitely stiff with infinite transmission loss, then I think you could sit the thing right on the floor. In other words, I think that your choice of feet depends more on the weaknesses or deficiencies in the design and manufacture of the sub than on anything else.

Comment

• David Meek
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Club1820
                                  Last question. I promise! Should I also order the discs that go underneath the points? Or would these only be used on carpet to protect it from the spikes? The Iso-points dont look as pointy actually as regular speaker spikes.
                                  For use on a tile floor, I'd recommend using the discs. However, to save money you can always try it without the discs and then order them later if necessary. Your eyes aren't fooling you, they aren't as pointed as spikes. Best of luck!

Comment

• natural
                                    • Feb 2007

Tried mine on carpet and wasn't impressed. You can always pick up a cheap rug to test on and if ya don't like it, get rid of it.
                                    Diddy-Wah-Diddy

Comment

• Club1820
                                      • Jan 2006

Well, I ordered the iso-points. should be here next week.

I will try it with a small throw rug under there and without. See which sounds better. will let everyone know.

thanks again to everyone. especially Dave.

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"