X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audiojunky
    • Mar 2006

Carpet Spikes

Is it aboslutely required to put carpet spikes if you're placing your speakers on a carpet?

I did not put the carpet spikes cause I heard that they can damage/tear the carpet. My wife won't be happy if that happens.

However a friend of mine said that to get smooth bass, you should put on the carpet spikes, which improves the low-ends.

My low-ends (bass) have been a little boomy - I wonder if that might be the cause.
    Last edited by audiojunky; 01 May 2006, 11:36 Monday.
  • tboooe
    • Jun 2005

I use spikes and do hear a difference in bass.

Yes the spikes can tear up the carpet but if you are careful there should be no problem. If course, the spikes will put a hole through the carpet backing but you should not be able to see this. If I do move my speakers, it looks the same as if I had some piece of furniture on the carpet. A little rubbing and I any indication that speaker spikes were there is gone.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• audiojunky
      • Mar 2006

Thanks for the help - that certainly explains the boominess in the bass.

I am a little concerned about the carpet since my wife may not appreciate if there is a bad tear - if it's small dent/ minor tear, it's perfectly ok (I hope )

I'm going to put the spikes today and check it out.

Comment

• jim777
        • Mar 2005

As tboooe sait, if you pay attention, you won't hurt your carpet. Put some pressure on the speaker after putting the spikes on, you want them to be anchored to the floor under the carpet (that's the whole idea).

However, if your bass is "boomy", might be the room, or the speakers too close to the walls/corners. Maybe play a bit with the position of your speakers before putting on those spikes. Try to have enough space all around them, especially if the port (hole) is in the back.

Good luck!!

Comment

• audiojunky
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by jim777
          However, if your bass is "boomy", might be the room, or the speakers too close to the walls/corners. Maybe play a bit with the position of your speakers before putting on those spikes. Try to have enough space all around them, especially if the port (hole) is in the back.

Good luck!!
          Thanks for the tip - the speakers are about 6 inches away from the wall (they're not in a corner). Is that sufficient?

I have the 804s so the port it not at the back.

Comment

• jim777
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by audiojunky
            Thanks for the tip - the speakers are about 6 inches away from the wall (they're not in a corner). Is that sufficient?

I have the 804s so the port it not at the back.
            Try to make more space around them to see what happens. Try at least 12 inches from big furniture and walls.

Try the "spaced out" forum to learn more on these issues

Once the position sorted out, try the spikes, they should make a big difference!

Comment

• audiojunky
              • Mar 2006

I got my new B&W speakers on Saturday (after taking back the bad ones) and I installed the carpet spikes - works like a charm!!

THanks for the help.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

What was wrong with the "bad ones"?
                B&W

Comment

• audiojunky
                  • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Race Car Driver
                  What was wrong with the "bad ones"?
                  There was something wrong with the earlier speakers and it was distorting - quite badly at time.

I thought that my CD player was causing the distortion - found out that it was actually the speakers - they were bad!

Here's my post on another thread ...

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"