X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ToddS
    • Jun 2006

Router advice needed

Hello all,
    I need to get my hands on a router to use to make the driver and internal brace cut outs for a set of 3 Adire kit281s and 2 kit81s. I probably won't need it for much else besides the speakers so I'd prefer to keep it inexpensive. I first found the 2HP Firestorm Plunge Router at Lowes for $69 but it doesn't seem to be compatible with the Jasper Jig. I started looking at the routers that are listed on Jasper's site and they all appear to cost about $180 on up. I see that Sears has a Craftsman 1/4 in. Plunge Router for $69 but I've read some bad reviews of their cheaper models. I also found the Ryobi RE180PL at Home Depot for $99.

Will a $70-$100 router work well enough to make the holes I need for 5 speakers or do I need to spend $150-$200 to do the job right? If a better one is on order, what brands and models will work well with the Jasper Jig? I have read through several older posts here at HTGuide and see DeWalt and Hitachi mentioned as well as a few other brands. Am I better off stepping up to the plate and buying a good one? I guess I could buy a decent one and find other uses for it in the future.

Thank you.
  • cgr
    • Feb 2006

I bought the Ryobi and used to do speaker cutouts with the jasper jigs. I did my cuts all the way through the material, and laminated two pieces to do the driver recess. My next projects I will attempt to plunge to a specific depth for the driver recesses.

The Ryobi is much quieter than the 30+ yr old craftmen that I was using before; it also starts slower without trying to torque out of your hands.

Comment

• cgr
      • Feb 2006

You could also try renting a router at HomeDepot or other rental price. If you need it for more than a day it may be better to buy one. When I buy most tools I usually find additional uses for them down the road.

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

A router is one of those tools that when buying it's best not to skimp. Cheap routers have sleeve bearings and poor fit/finish tolerances

The Hitachi M12V is a best buy for higher horsepower units and will last a lifetime. Ebay has good pricing for this router

Last edited by ThomasW; 01 June 2006, 20:17 Thursday.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• oxcartdriver
          • Apr 2006

I just bought the KM12VC router at Lowes last month for about 165. ebay had this listed for 129 on a buy now.

Bits will cost quite a bit in addition to your router outlay, I bought 4 bits for speakers. 3/4 inch dia x 1inch for the driving mounting ring, 1/2 inch dia x 2.5in for the facia through hole to place the driver, 3/4 round over for the front face, and a 1/8 round over for the holes in the braces.

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

1/4" to cut the holes for the driver
            1/2" or larger to plow out the recesses for the drivers.

One doesn't need to ease the holes in the bracing. If one wants to do it, the 3/4" round over used for the cabinet edges will work.

Frequently Costco has a 48 bit carbide router set for $50. It contains everything except a good 1/4" solid carbide spiral cut for the driver cutouts.

Harbor Freight Tools has some really low buck carbide sets that will work fine for the nOOb.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• oxcartdriver
              • Apr 2006

Darn, live and learn.

Hopefully we'll get a Costco some time in the near future down here in Colorado Springs.

Comment

• JonW
                Super Senior Member
                • Jan 2006

Todd-
                I borrowed a router to make my sub. And enjoyed the experience so much that I went out and then bought a few tools to be able to make some furniture and speakers. So I'd say don't cheap out on the router. You might end up using it more than you think. I got a Mitachi M12V and think it's pretty decent. (Not that I'd know otherwise). Oxcartdriver is right that you'llneed a small selection of good bits. So factor that in to the price. People seem to like getting bits here, among many other places:
                Shop HValley Tools for premium woodworking tools, 3D printers, laser engraver and CNC Machines. Trusted Brands MLCS Woodworking and Eagle America.

This place often has $5 bit sales on some of the basic ones you'll need:
                Whether you're a seasoned artisan or a novice enthusiast, shop Woodcraft for expert advice, unbeatable prices, superior brands, and a woodworking experience like no other. Explore our vast selection of premium wood, tools, and accessories, meticulously curated to fuel your passion for creating timeless pieces.

Oxcartdriver-
                Did you, as your name implies, actually fly Oxcarts/A-12's/SR-71's, etc?

Comment

• dyazdani
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Oct 2005

I bought 4 bits to start - cost me $65 from MLCS. Bits included were a 1/4" carbide upcut, 3/4" roundover, 3/4" straight "plunge cutter," and a 2" flush trim bit.

Sounds like for what you need right now, you only need a 1/4" upcut and some sort of flat bit for the driver recess. Should be able to get by for $30 +/-.

I've got a Craftsman Pro router, I guess it's really a Bosch with different clothes. It was about $200, but has a fixed and plunge base. It's dropped to about $180 now.
                  Danish

Comment

• oxcartdriver
                    • Apr 2006

I actually drove ox carts and skidded some logs with oxen/steers as a kid.

Comment

• JonW
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by oxcartdriver
                      I actually drove ox carts and skidded some logs with oxen/steers as a kid.
                      Ahh, I see. Well, that's almost as sexy as flying Mach 3. :P

Comment

• jonathanb3478
                        • May 2006

I would not get sub-par quality bits. I can comiserate on the price of good bits, however.

Before I got my router (DeWalt DW625, "3HP"), I asked around about which company makes the best bits. Whiteside was consistantly the top, or at least the second from the top, in quality in those responses. So that is what I got.

My 7 bits cost me >$150 off Amazon. I expect they will last forever (effectively, with a resharpening here and there), with the possible exception of the two solid carbide ones, as they are not included in the anti-breakage guarantee from Whiteside.

I have a:
                        Pair of solid carbide spiral bits, (both up and down cuting bits)
                        1/2" shank w/ 1/2" diameter and 1" long cutter flush trim bit
                        1/2" shank w/ 1/2" diameter and 1" long template bit
                        Chamfering bit that will put a 30-deg edge on a 3/4" panel
                        1/8" roundover
                        1/2 shank w/ 1/2" deep, and 1/2" tall rabbetting bit
                        Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
                        -Vernon Sanders Law

Comment

• Jack Gilvey
                          • Aug 2001

A router is one of those tools that when buying it's best not to skimp. Cheap routers have sleeve bearings and poor fit/finish tolerances
                          I'd either rent/borrow, or buy a decent one. I never buy cheap tools.

Comment

• tokyofist
                            • Mar 2006

I think the prices for Whiteside at Hartville Tool are reasonable. They're having a sale on router bits one month this summer (can't remember which).

Comment

• topp
                              • Dec 2005

I think their sale on the Whiteside at Hartville is in July, 20% off. However, if you are cutting MDF, I don't know if I would spend allot of money on router bits. I usually use my MLCS on the MDF and the better ones for Solid or Plywood.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Mar 2005

Another good place to buy bits...

Check out http://www.routerbits.com

I've bought a number of Whiteside bits from them. Good prices and service.

Jim

Comment

• ToddS
                                  • Jun 2006

Wow... thank you all so much for all of the replies.

I had no idea the Hitachi M12V could be had for that price through Ebay. I think I just might buy one of those. I figure there are other things I can do with it in the future (perhaps a flexy-rack or subwoofer enlosure for my truck).

I'd really like to get my speakers built. I bought my Adire kits back in 2002 just before going back to school to finish my degree. That occupied most of my free time for a good two and a half years. I finally finished last year (WOO HOO) so my attention refocused on my speaker kits again. A friend of mine and I spent several hours a few months ago cutting up all of the flat panels for the 5 speaker cabinets using my dad's table saw. I really thought we had messed the cuts up pretty bad until I took another look at the panels again a few weeks ago. They appear to fit together rather well so I'd like to finally cut out the driver and internal brace holes and get these cabinets built.

Comment

• ibilisi
                                    • Jan 2005

I have the ryobi 180pl, it has been a decent little cheap router. Can take the 1/4 and the 1/2 router bits. The microadjust gets clogged pretty quick with mdf dust so precision is not a stongpoint. Also if you are cutting mdf look for dust control, the Ryobi has none, not even an option, I think the Hitachi does have a dust port as an addon (correct me if I'm wrong people). If I had to do it again, I might get the DW621, but I've heard the switches on those can go out. I've also heard good things about the M12V.
                                    Really, the Ryobi could do the job, but you would most likely want a different router later anyway, so get a solid one up front and rest your mind.

Edit: I found that dust part: HITACHI Dust Collector Set for M12V Model 997466

I might have to pick one of the M12V's up myself!

Comment

• ToddS
                                      • Jun 2006

Yeah, I'm working with MDF so the dust collection port may be something to look for in a new router.

Comment

• gimpy
                                        • Sep 2004

ToddS, ibilisi is pretty much right on about the Ryobi. I have it and it works fine for what you are looking for. Mine came with the 3 base option. If you are wanting one just for those speakers, then it would be fine. If you plan on using it quite a bit, then you should consider maybe something a little more "expensive" with a better reputation.

I've had mine for 1-2 yrs now and it still works fine, but I am a weekend (maybe monthly?) warrior. Also, check on Home Depot's warranty. Hard to beat if something goes wrong with it.

By the way, I think you will enjoy those 281's. I have a pair and really like them although I have gotten the "bug" and plan on building the tmww's here soon.

Frank

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"