GARAGE DOOR FOR SALE: (Makin' room for a dedicated HT!)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sonnie Parker
    • Jan 2002

Thanks Andrew, Glen, and E!

Glen, I didn't work on it on Christmas Eve day or Christmas day but I spent most of New Year's Eve day and New Year's day in the room sanding and painting and cleaning the floor.

I'm still not sold on the color scheme yet but it will have to do for now. Maybe it will grow on me. The sound and image will be more important than the colors although eventually I'll have to like the colors for them to stay.

E... the carpet will probably be the same as in the house and it's a Coffe Frost or Taupe type color. It's neutral and will match with about any color scheme.

Except for some trim touch up (you know... even out the initially crooked cut lines)... it's finished. I'll be buying the carpet and pad in the next few days and have it installed hopefully this week.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Lookin' good, Sonnie! Are you putting in the carpet yourself?

CHRIS
      Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
        • Jan 2002

Thanks Chris... and no, it is not my intentions to install the carpet but if the carpet installer doesn't show I will have no choice but to do so. I've done it before and being there are no seams it won't be too difficult.

As it stands my carpet installer says he can do it Saturday morning but in these parts it seems they are not too dependable/reliable.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• Burke Strickland
          • Sep 2001

Originally posted by Sonnie Parker
          ...my carpet installer says he can do it Saturday morning but in these parts it seems they are not too dependable/reliable.
          OK, so he said Saturday. Did he say what year? :>) Seems that kind of "service" is unreliable everywhere, and not just carpet installers. Add electricians, plumbers, exterminators, painters, UPS delivery, cable... (along these lines, I've noticed that insurance agents are johnny-on-the-spot to sell you a policy, but insurance adjustors never seem to be able to return your calls). :>)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
            • Jan 2002

lol Burke... carpet installers just seem to be worse than others around these parts but plumbers and painters are fairly much the same.

Now.... my carpet installer made me a lie yesterday. He showed up and the carpet is now installed.

Yesterday I went to our ole trusty carpet outlet to see if I could find the same carpet we have in the house and sure enough they did. They had 23'... just enough (I only really needed 20').

Dusty Taupe is the color and it matches the room good. All of the colors are beginning to grow on us.

Now it's baseboard and touch up time and then the equipment. It's gettin' really close to SHOWTIME!

I'll have some pics up soon of the inside finish... I'll wait until I get the base board up.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• efarstad
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jun 2001

I wanna see the carpet NOW! :P

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
              E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
              E-Cinema

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                • Jan 2002

Chris might could ask Pres. Bush if it's okay to fly you down if you have to see it NOW! :P

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• efarstad
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jun 2001

LOL...something tells me that WON'T happen anytime soon...plus me thinks he's busy watching a baby being born!

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                  E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                  E-Cinema

Comment

• Lex
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Apr 2001

Looks great Sonnie. So you are projecting onto the wall, not getting a screen? Congrats on the carpet install! It's getting closer and closer to showtime!

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
                    Doug
                    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                      • Jan 2002

Thanks Lex... I've been spending a lot of my free time on it lately.

We'll be using the drywall painted with Misty Evening Gray as our screen. I figured we can give it a try and if we don't like it then buy a screen.

The carpet installer and I were discussing the faint echo in the room as he was nailing the tack strips down yesterday. Then we noticed when he first started laying the padding how the echo slowly faded away. Once all the carpet was finished neither of us could hear any echo whatsoever. Amazing how carpet and padding can absorb sound.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                        • Jan 2002

Except for a few touch ups, mounting the a/c vent covers, a few odds and ends, and framing the screen, we are all done with the construction.

I wish I had a better camera because my el cheapo digital just doesn't do the colors justice. The carpet and recliner colors don't look right in the pic... I think my flash distorts the colors a little.

Remember the before pic:

This is the after pic (except for the a/c vents):

The rear before:

The rear after (I don't believe we'll leave the Pink Floyd picture in the room):

We hung our Boulevard of Broken Dreams neon picture up on the side wall and this pic gives you a shot of the side surrounds and light sconces:

A back corner shot:

And a temp setup shot with the equipment in the room. The screen shot is not good because I had the light on and the flash on the camera as well. I still have to build our center console but this will give you an idea of what we are doing:

I'll be framing the screen Wednesday.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2001

Things are really looking good there, Sonnie.

My Homepage!
                          My Homepage!

Comment

• efarstad
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jun 2001

Lookin' good Sonnie Boy! Lookin' real good! 8)

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                            E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                            E-Cinema

Comment

• Glen
                              • Dec 2003

Sonnie.

How do you like the black rocker you have in the back row? I was looking at a chair like it for my room. I was concerned the frame might not hold up if the kids start bouncing on it.

Also, how is it for comfort after you've been sitting in it for awile ( eg: 2 hour movie ).

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                                • Jan 2002

Thanks George and E!

Glen... I've not sat in the black chair for over a few minutes yet but I could tell I'll need a little more padding for my hiney... if you know what I mean. lol I ask Andrew the same question and he stated (as well as Gordon who has visited Andrew often) that they were fairly comfy to them over a long period. He may have a higher quality version as I've seen these black recliners in a lot of places ranging from $79 to $299. Although they all look to be the same I suppose some could be cheaper made than others. We bought ours at a local Fred's discount store for the $79 price tag. The frame seems fairly sturdy and I don't think kids would want to be bouncing around on them as they glide and they wouldn't make too good of a bouncing item (so to speak). I don't think you'd have a problem there but who knows... kids seem to break the unbreakable. lol I do plan on adding some padding to the seat part as there appears to be enough room to unzip the cover and add a layer of padding.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

Glen I have three chairs similar to that in my HT that I got from XS Cargo on St.James for cheap (under $100 each) and they're very comfortable and the XS ones are much nicer material the the wal-mart ones. I think JYSK lowered their price as well to about the same as XS so they might be worth looking at as well.

Comment

• Glen
                                    • Dec 2003

Thanks Sonnie, Andrew.

I think I'll take he kids with me next time I go shopping so they can give the chairs a test drive ( and I can see how rough they're gonna be with them :g>'> ).

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2000

You can bring them over to my place too if you'd like.

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2000

Sonnie ,,That is truely OUTSTANDING!!! :T
                                        You did a great job on your room.
                                        The color Scheming is perfect.
                                        You are my inspiration!!!!
                                        Making me upgrade!!

Trevor
                                        My HomeTheater S.E.
                                        Sonically Enhanced
                                        C5
                                        Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                                          • Jan 2002

Thanks Trev! Making you upgrade? lol Are you gonna build yourself a dedicated room?

I was able to get the satellite (HDTV) going yesterday and it looks remarkable. Truly stunning! Even the SD looks pretty good via components (better than it did on the Toshiba RPTV and probably it helps that I'm not stretching the image on the PJ). HDTV is the ticket though. DVD with the Denon 2900 is very close to HD.

I also got the screen framed up with brick moulding yesterday... still lack caulking the seams and painting the frame once again with ultra flat black. I sprayed the first coat on before mounting it to the wall.

I have one more black chair to put together which doesn't take long then I'll have some more pics. The only big item remaining is the center cabinet console which I plan to start on this weekend.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• Glen
                                            • Dec 2003

Can't wait to see more pictures :T

Do you ever sleep? I'd have to be working 24/7 to get a room built and finished in that amount of time.

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                                              • Jan 2002

Glen... I started this room on 10/29/03 and was only planning on working on it on Wednesday's and Saturday's. Wanting to get finished with it by Super Bowl time I started shortly after Christmas to spend a few evening hours on it (as well as most of New Years Day). Then over the last few weeks I've begun to spend a few hours almost every evening on it as well as I've taken a couple of half days off to work on it.

Now it's pretty much finished to a point of functionality but there are still a lot of small things to do but the priority now is the floor equipment rack. I'll be working on that tomorrow.

Here's a couple of screen shots I took just messin' around last night. They came out better than the earlier ones I took.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• Gordon Moore
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Feb 2002

Wow! Stunning colour and black 8O
                                                Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                                                  • Jan 2002

Thanks Gordon... I've been trying to get some better shots. The Denon 2900 does a pretty good job of pausing. I still think a brighter scene will be better and I still haven't use the tripod.

I can't wait to take a few snaps of the Super Bowl in HD.

I'm gonna have to check on me a new camera.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• Lex
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Apr 2001

Nice pics Sonnie.

Amazing job on the room for 2 months!

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
                                                    Doug
                                                    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                                                      • Jan 2002

Thanks Lex... it's been movin' right along and I'd say I'm about 98% done with the inside.

I started Saturday morning with two 4' X 8' sheets of ¾" birch plywood, table saw, nail gun, metal shelf strips, putty, sand paper and paint, and today I finished up the center console equipment cabinet and got it all set up in the HT room. I may later add doors but am undecided for now. Here's a shot of it:

Uh... we're taking donations for DVD's to help fill up our cabinet space...

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• efarstad
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Jun 2001

Nice work buddy! Looks sweet...gonna have to come visit for sure!!!

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                                                        E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                                                        E-Cinema

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                                                          • Jan 2002

Thanks again E... I'll be patiently waiting on your visit.

Well it's finished!

See this thread.

Thanks for all your help guys... you all were a real inspiration!

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

Working...
                                                          😀
                                                          😂
                                                          🥰
                                                          😘
                                                          🤢
                                                          😎
                                                          😞
                                                          😡
                                                          👍
                                                          👎
                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                          Search Result for "|||"