X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gulicio
    • Aug 2008

acoustical treatments and finish stage

Oh, where to begin. I am building a dedicated home theater room. I have insulated the walls with R-19 and sheet rocked the walls and ceiling with Quiet rock. The room size is 17' x 22. The floor is concrete with a secondary wood box for the back row of seating. The entire floor will be carpeted. I have built out columns for the speakers and recessed a stage for the screen, with the left, right, and center speakers going behind the screen. A rear projection is planned, all wiring has been done. The ceiling is trayed out (see below). I need help with the interior design from an acoustical layout. I also need help making all of this look like a traditional theater panel design.

I have received all sorts of conflicting advice from treating the whole room with a panel system to only doing specific areas. I have already paid 4seating.com to do a layout for the panels on the walls. While liking the look of the design I did not like the cost (10K) I then began researching the acoustical needs of the room and all of the opinions have varied from treating the lower half of the walls to curtains only, carpet is enough, ect ect. I am so confused. What is the right way and how do you make the walls look like a true traditional home theater with out spending a small fortune?

I have enclosed all that I have below any and all advice would be appreciated
    Well I just tried to attach all of the photo's, the design and the 4seating layout but the file sizes are to large. Any advice on this would also be appreciated.
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Gulico, for pictures, you can either scale them down until they're less than 100kb each, or you can post them anywhere else on the web, like file-sharing sites, and then link them here.

For theater walls, in my DIY magazine project, I did a standard Dennis Erskine design--lined the lower half of each wall with Linacoustic, (a ducting insulation) and the top half of each wall with standard polyester batting. (like you find at Joanne's fabric) Then I covered the whole wall with acoustically tranparent fabric. I used Guilford of Maine, doing a different color for the top and bottom half fabrics, but you could do one solid wall color, too. Looked great, just like a private home theater, and worked awesome in my 14 x 22' room. I forget the total cost, but it was comparatively reasonable, and nothing close to the $10k you mentioned. Maybe $500 total or something.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• wettou
      Ultra Senior Member
      • May 2006

Originally posted by Chris D
      I used Guilford of Maine, doing a different color for the top and bottom half fabrics, but you could do one solid wall color, too. Looked great, just like a private home theater, and worked awesome in my 14 x 22' room. I forget the total cost, but it was comparatively reasonable, and nothing close to the $10k you mentioned. Maybe $500 total or something.
      Owen Corning's board 705 covered with Linen fabric works very well to and is nicer looking. Chris, any pictures!
      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• dyazdani
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Oct 2005

...and if you can't find the OC 705, there are other brands with board of similar specifications.

Room treatments are fairly easy to DIY if you've got the time and some basic tools. I'd like the chance to have a dedicated room to set something up like Chris did, maybe one day...
        Danish

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Yes, some pictures of my previous home theater in these two thread:

CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• Gulicio
            • Aug 2008

Reflective and absorbtion

How do you know where to place these panels. Is it trial and error or is there some easy methodology behind the positioning of the panels. When do you have to much. Is there a good way to mount these panels. I have a soffit going around the room and I have the rear projector going into the soffit. So I need a removable cover with a hole wrapped in fabric. I also have the speakers in the columns that I will need access to. How much base trap needs to be in the room is carpet and a front stage curtain enough. Is reflective surface on the ceiling needed or does the sheetrock act as that reflective surface?

So many questions and everyone seems to have a different answer. Is there a way to DIY?

What is the best way to make these panels. Is there a link that shows you how?
            Thanks in advance

Comment

• Gulicio
              • Aug 2008

Here are some layouts
              Attached Files

Comment

• dyazdani
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Oct 2005

Bass traps typically go in the corners, there are several varieties - tubes, panels, etc. Panels designed to limit some of the higher frequency issues typically are placed at the first and/or second reflection points.

There is a company that actually makes soffit traps.

ThomasW in the DIY forum has a good primer on room treatments, I'll post the link later if I can find it.
                Danish

Comment

• dyazdani
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Oct 2005

Here's the link to Thomas' Site
                  Danish

Comment

• Gulicio
                    • Aug 2008

So according to my plan I would use panels in the middle of the wall below the chair rail. And use reflectors above the chair rail and everywhere else. Or should this be the opposite? And Bass traps in corners. Is a theater curtain considered a base trap?

Comment

• Gulicio
                      • Aug 2008

Isn't there enough reflection coming from the walls with out adding anything?

Comment

• dyazdani
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Oct 2005

A curtain does nothing as a bass trap...

I wouldn't use any reflectors at first. I'd treat the corners and first reflections and see what it sounds like or run a frequency plot if you want to be technical with it.
                        Danish

Comment

• kgveteran
                          • Oct 2005

When you purchase cloth for the panels, try to get thin acoustically transparent cloth.I've seen some DIY panels that look VERY diy.No need to look clumpy with thick covering.I use roma wool. I had home depot cut luon 2'x4', glued that to the back of the panel and wrapped the wool around and stapled to the back through the luon.Works real well.

Kg
                          Here is my LCR "Trio". Way to go guys !

Comment

• jackmcmanus21
                            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Gulicio
                            Here are some layouts
                            those layouts look good to me
                            Rock Band
                            MP3 Player Accessories

Comment

• wettou
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • May 2006

I used Owen Corning Fiberglass 503, 48"H x 12"L x 10"D covered with velvet as bass traps and it works very well.

Total Cost for home made two bass trap $150 plus my time on the weekend
                              Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"