X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Pictures of my Equipment Rack in Progress

Some sample pictures to whet your appetite of my current equipment rack. Theater project is nearing the end.

The actual rack, current as of today. Not fully complete, but pretty much so. I chose to go with a horizontal rack to allow the large window above it to remain unobstructed to allow light and airiness into the room when I open up the alcove. The rack itself is by Salamander Designs. On the top left of the rack is a Dell laptop. The little item on the top right is actually an RF baby monitor. Hooking it up to the theater, you can check on the baby in the theater as well as distribute the audio and video from the monitor to my all-home A/V system so you can check on her anywhere in the house.

The left bay of the rack. From top to bottom:

Behringer Feedback Destroyer
    JVC S-VHS VCR (keep it mostly for a clock)
    Two rows of AudioSource 5.3 mono amplifiers driving Clark Synthesis Tactile Transducers
    Atlantic Technologies Power Strip
    Old Kenwood receiver, used as an amplifier for my all-home audio distrubution system

The center bay of the rack. From top to bottom:

Parasound Halo C1 pre-amp/processor
    Parasound Halo A51 5-channel amplifier
    Parasound Halo A21 2-channel amplifier
    inbetween components are Parasound 1u rack mount vents matching the Halo pieces

The right bay of the rack. From top to bottom:

Zenith HS-520 HDTV satellite receiver
    Denon DVD-3910 universal DVD player
    Old Kenwood tuner
    Old Kenwood 5-disc CD changer
    Old Kenwood twin cassette deck

A larger view of my equipment alcove. It's on the left side of my theater. When finished, it will be enclosed with black curtains. I've wired a Xantech IR distribution system in the walls with the IR receiver on the front screen wall to control the equipment with the curtains closed. The lights and surround speakers you see are about to be enclosed in columns, and then the walls will be covered with acoustical fabric. The seats are Salamander Design Matteo seating.

Much more to come in the future as I complete the theater--rear pictures of all connections and CAT Cables, projector, screen wall, etc!
    Last edited by theSven; 10 March 2023, 16:57 Friday. Reason: Update image location
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • Patt
    • Feb 2005

That is a really nice setup Chris.... :E
    ......Pat

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

That Parasound display is awesome. Fact is, the whole theater is quite pristine.

Great job Chris! I don't know how you did it flying all over the country all the time.

Lex
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Beautiful Chris, beautiful! :T That stack of Halos is inspiring. :drool:

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Glen
          • Dec 2003

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet :yesnod:

Comment

• Kevin P
            • Aug 2000

Very nice setup there Chris. What are you using for speakers?

I have to wonder about the baby monitor though... from my experience with them they're plenty loud enough in mono, do you really want to listen to temper tantrums in 7.1? 8O

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Spank you, spank you very much. It's been a labor of love/frustration/insanity/whatever for sure.

Kev, those are all Klipsch speakers. The 4 side and rear surround speakers you can see in the pictures are KSP-S6 speakers.
              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• saurabh
                • Feb 2005

chris, thats a damn good setup, how much of fine did you pay for your sins :P :W . Do you have an opening for an operator, you can hire me !!!! :T
                Need is the mother of all Inventions.....I am needy

Comment

• H.Donald
                  • Aug 2004

When I grow up....those Halos are awe-inspiring....

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

Ah... we'll skip over the discussion of price. That's one thing I just don't discuss. (I know you were kidding anyway) I'm having a theater grand opening party here in Seattle/Tacoma this month--ya'll are welcome.
                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Paul H
                      • Feb 2004

Chris,

Very nice setup, but I'm just a little disappointed - where are you going to put future additional amps? :twisted:

Paul

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

Ah yes, the amps. That's another interesting thing about my theater. 250 wpc in both the A21 and A51 amps x 7 = 1750 Watts. 6 Audio Source mono amps for Clark Synthesis tactile transducers at 250 wpc each = 1500 Watts. Two SVS PC-Ultra powered subwoofers at 550 watts each = 1100 Watts. Old Kenwood stereo receiver at 120 wpc x 2 = 240 Watts.

Total theater power = 4,590 Watts

Heheheeee...

Image no longer available
                        Last edited by theSven; 10 March 2023, 16:58 Friday. Reason: Update image location
                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Jeff
                          • Dec 2004

What do those with power want.....MORE POWER!!!

Chris, do the neighbors lights dim when you power up? :B

Comment

• junior77blue
                            • Nov 2004

Are those 8 ohm or 4ohm power settings?? hehe

Comment

• Chris D
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Dec 2000

All 8 ohms, actually, that's the cool thing. If you want to count the tactile transducers as 4 ohm devices, it's even more.
                              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Lex
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Apr 2001

I sure would like to be there for the opening. If it were only possible. Well, if Chris could pick me up in a plane, and take me back home afterwards, might be able to do it, lol.

Lex
                                Doug

Comment

• Chris D
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Dec 2000

On the subject of my equipment rack and mounting into a Salamander rack, Glen wrote me a message he's allowing me to repost:

Originally Posted by Glen B
                                  Hi Chris,
                                  I have a question regarding the Salamander equipment rack and the way your Parasound amps are installed. Its difficult to see the mounting detal in the pictures you posted because they are dark. How are the amps supported ? They are obviously not rack-mounted. If you have the shelves installed, how did you get both the shelves and rack-mount rails installed in the rack at the same time ? My reasons for asking are that I am looking for a rack that will not only hold my non-rack mount equipment but on which I can also attach rack-mount rails. I want to install 19" perforated rack mount covers over my components to keep my grandson's fingers away.

Regards,
                                  Glen
                                  Bottom line, my Parasound equipment IS rack mounted. The cool thing about Salamander Synergy racks is that you can add neat features to it and customize your rack without buying a new one--side and rear panels, doors, screens, lights, feet, etc. Salamander also sells rack mounts that you actually slide into the vertical posts and then bolt inside the posts for a real clean look. So I have rack mounts installed in the left and center bays of my triple rack. The right rack I still use for regular shelves, which are thick and quality on their own. You can also buy partial rack mounts which don't extend the entire height of a bay, if you'd like to use shelves at the same time. It's a real neat system, and I have (almost) nothing but good stuff to say about Salamander. I'm using their Matteo theater seating, too!

If you're interested, I highly recommend that you check out Salamander's website, www.mander.com

Hope this helps!
                                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

Chris!!
                                    Excellent! Outstanding!!
                                    :amen: :amen: :amen:
                                    Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Chris D
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Dec 2000

A smattering of pics on the theater as I work this weekend--

First, Nicholas, this one's for you. My front stage with Klipsch KLF-30 mains, C-7 center, and dual PC-Ultra subwoofers. The positioning and arrangement of the speakers will change as I build the front wall. You can also see the glow of the rope light I installed under the stage step lip.

Image not available

Of all my new CAT Cables, I think these are my favorites for looks. On the left is a highly-customized silver subwoofer splitter. On the right is a high-end silver coax component cable with BNC connectors on one end. Pretty to look at, and they work even better.

Image not available

Image not available

The back of my Parasound C1 processor, as best as I could get the camera back there. All cables are CAT, except the optical and the 1/8" signal plugs.

Image not available

A shot of the rear right of the room, where the entrance door is located. You can see the exit sign I installed above the door, which lights up on its own circuit controlled by the lighting controls. The telephone works, coming from Radio Shack. The phone, speaker, and light will all be enclosed in a column, with a door to access the phone. You can also see a glow of the rope light under the rear riser by the door and wall.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Phone Exit Sign and Door.jpg
Views:	4294
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	841922

I just put in the projector tonight, and for now the cables are dangling. You can see the door and exit sign again.

Name:	Projector.jpg
Views:	4701
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	841923

So, I got carried away and unpacked my 119" Da-Lite screen. It's perforated so that I can place the front and center speakers behind it. For now I've got it propped up. The false screen wall will go where it is right now. Dang... that's a big screen.

Name:	Screen.jpg
Views:	4394
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	841924
                                      Last edited by theSven; 10 March 2023, 17:00 Friday. Reason: Update image location
                                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Kyle
                                        • Jan 2005

Wow! That IS a big screen, can't wait to see how it turns out when its all done

If i were you i wouldn't have bothered with the phone because not a whole lot could drag me away from that setup
                                        My gear

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Aug 2000

It keeps getting better Chris!!:E
                                          :amen: :amen: :amen:
                                          BTW,,What are the dimensions of your room.?
                                          Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Chris D
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Dec 2000

Thanks, Trev! Rough dimensions are 12' by 22', with 8' ceilings. Equipment alcove is 3' x 8'. Not the biggest of rooms, but it works great. If I could have more room in one dimension, it would be room width. (then length, then height)

Kyle - yeah, the phone thing. I'm a military pilot, and do things like sit alert where I have to be contactable. So I figured I'd install a phone into one of my hidden columns instead of having to bring in a cordless phone every time. Just one of those things. Plus, if I need to talk to tech support or need phone connectivity while I'm in the theater, it's right there. If nothing else, I can ignore it for the 15 seconds that it rings.

I'm off to do more theater work. Today I'll start framing the false screen wall and put up some padding insulation that acoustical fabric will eventually cover.
                                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Dec 2000

Here's a picture of the final front screen wall configuration before painting everything black and covering with acoustical fabric:

Image not available
                                              Last edited by theSven; 10 March 2023, 17:00 Friday. Reason: Update image location
                                              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Eric S
                                                • Sep 2000

Hey Chris,

Nice theater! I have a question about your false wall: how far does it come out from the rear wall? I am currently working on my theater (8x14x24) and will probably do something similar to hide the speakers and possibly even the equipment...

Thanks,
                                                Eric
                                                My DIY Theater Projects

Comment

• depaulbdemons
                                                  • Jan 2005

Wow that is nice. We are moving into our new to us house in a week. While it we be a few months before work officially begins it is pics like this that will keep me inspired!! Unfortunately for now it looks like any chance at a theater space will be in the basement. Not the best set up but hey, I'll take it.

Keep the pics coming. :T

Comment

• Chris D
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Dec 2000

Sorry to take so long to get back to this... I think the false front wall comes out about 18" if I remember right. I'll measure the next time I take down my screen.

Theater's pretty much finished, so I just have to find the time to take all the pictures and do writeups.
                                                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Spearmint
                                                      • Sep 2004

Wow Chris what a fantastic setup and room.... :T

I like the way you have you front speakers and sub behind the screen, nice clean look and nothing to reflect light while watching a movie.
                                                      Richard

"Sometimes it is easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission... "

Comment

• Eric S
                                                        • Sep 2000

No problem on the delay - my theater project is moving very slowly anyhow... Thanks for the answer. I'm still trying to figure out how to make the room look "nice" and include the vast array of equipment that needs to go there. I'd like to hide the amps behind the wall, but the front speaker array will be powered by 3 monoblocks, each capable of delivering 160w into 4ohm, all pure class A. Don't know if hiding them behind a wall would suffocate them or not...

I'm looking forward to seeing your completed pics!
                                                        Eric
                                                        My DIY Theater Projects

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Aug 2003

great looking rack! You have inspired me...
                                                          I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Chris D
                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                            • Dec 2000

Who, me? (looking around for Monica Belluci or Linsday Lohan standing nearby)

Eric, for you, I would NOT recommend putting amps or any other actual electronic equipment behind a false wall or any other enclosed area unless it is vented somehow. The way I'm keeping the room looking free of equipment is by putting curtains in front of the equipment alcove that you see above. When the curtains are closed, the room is dark and nice and clean, but I can still vent the alcove, if nothing else, than by opening the window.

Airflow is very important.
                                                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Lex
                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                              • Apr 2001

Fantastic cable shot. :T

Nice stage area work too!
                                                              Doug

Comment

• kgveteran
                                                                • Oct 2005

Chris,
                                                                Any thought on acoustic treatments.The room looks great.Nothing better than dedicated rooms.

Would that be the final destination for the SVS's.I ended up with my subs centerd and in front of the center ch also. The output was a bit lower than in the corners, but with TrueRta it was smooth from 15hz up to 100hz.

Again, great job.
                                                                Here is my LCR "Trio". Way to go guys !

Comment

• Azeke
                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                  • Mar 2003

Impressive indeed.

Very nice sir,

Azeke

Comment

• SteveCallas
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Aug 2005

This might sound like a silly question, and I realize the Denon 3910 has a very high build quality, but does its proximity to those large amps cause any occassional disc reading errors? I went through 2 Oppos that had disc reading errors and the only hypothesis I could come up with was the large torroidal transformer in my pro amp might be causing some kind of interference.

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                      • Dec 2000

Hi, kgveteran, yes, I've put acoustical treatment in the room since the picture. The black insulation you see covering the walls behind the screen wall is called Linacoustic, which is typically used to silence and line air ducting. I lined the bottom half of the walls in the rest of the room with the Linacoustic, and the top halves got lined with polyster batting from fabric stores. Then all walls got covered from top to bottom with Guilford of Maine acoustically transparent fabric. Room sounds just right now, not too live, but not too dead. (I really need to post final pictures now)

As for the dual subs, yes, that's where I left them. After I expiremented with some locations, those seemed to work best. Ideally, yes, I'd like them in the corners, but if I did that, I had to pull the main L/R speakers too far into the center to give them proper spacing, and it shrunk the sound field because they were too close together. If my room had been wider, it would have worked out better. You can see I staggered the subs a little bit so they're not symmetric, which would have created bass nodes down the centerline of the room.

Steve, I don't think I've ever had disc reading errors from the DVD-3910. The only two things to mention about the player is that it's slow to read and change menus, which has been reported in all 3910's. Every once in a long while, maybe every 10-15 hours of viewing, I'll see a little blip on the screen of blocking error. Could this be attributed to electromagnetic interference? Ummm... I suppose so, but not all that likely.
                                                                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• SteveCallas
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Aug 2005

Ok, just wondering. It was probably just a problem within my units.

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                          • Dec 2000
                                                                          • 16877

Bump on this thread, as I've had questions.

Updates to come soon with final completion pics.
                                                                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• basementjack
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Dec 2004
                                                                            • 191

Hey Chris that looks fantastic!

Comment

• chriscross
                                                                              Junior Member
                                                                              • Jan 2006
                                                                              • 14

#39
                                                                              Other than the hefty price, are there any downsides to a perforated screen? By the way, what mfr's might I consider for a good (and hopefully) affordable perforated screen?

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                • Dec 2000
                                                                                • 16877

#40
                                                                                Downsides are:

1. More expensive
                                                                                2. Loss of some light lumens (part of the light goes through the screen, so you need to control room lighting)
                                                                                3. Have to carefully control items behind the screen so they don't reflect light back through

For perf screens, always check out the big 3 first-- Stewart, Da-Lite, and Draper. I'd be very hesitant to buy a perf screen from a smaller company. Not sure how good of quality I'd get, and would impede audio.

We had a good thread going before on perforated screens, I think in the front projection sub-forum. A search should bring it up.
                                                                                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• chriscross
                                                                                  Junior Member
                                                                                  • Jan 2006
                                                                                  • 14

#41
                                                                                  Chris,
                                                                                  In general, would you say that non-perforated screens outperform perforated ones? If there is picture quality loss, I would scrap the idea and place my speakers elsewhere.

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                    • Dec 2000
                                                                                    • 16877

#42
                                                                                    No, it's a trade off.

Perforated strengths:
                                                                                    1. Perfect sound field placement allowing center channel in middle of screen.
                                                                                    2. Ability to visually "hide" speakers behind screen, making it visually appealing

Non-perforated strengths:
                                                                                    1. No light loss on projected image, as with perf
                                                                                    2. No worries about objects behind screen catching light
                                                                                    3. Avoid rare "moire" patterns that some digital projectors create with perforated screens. (this really is becoming more and more rare, and you won't ever have a problem unless your particular projector creates them constantly)
                                                                                    4. Not as expensive
                                                                                    5. Completely unimpeded path to sound from speakers, since now you have to place them to the side.

For me, perforated strength #1 outweighed everything else. Sound placement becomes more and more important the larger a screen you get. For me with a 119" screen, without perforated I would literally have to put the center channel on the floor. Now critical dialogue from characters would visually come from straight in front of me, but I would hear it coming from several feet away, from the floor. On a small screen, no big deal. Center channel is right there. Also, with a big screen, you'd hear sound pans from left to right go from the left middle to the center floor, to the right middle, in a "U" pattern, instead of panning perfectly straight across.

I've been able to deal with the other issues just fine, so for me and large screens, I unreservedly choose perforated.
                                                                                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• brac
                                                                                      Member
                                                                                      • Aug 2005
                                                                                      • 90

#43
                                                                                      That's an awsome set up, My HT is almost done have all the same klipsch stuff but for sub I am using a ksw 300. My equiptment rack feels the need to bow down when it looks at yours.... Nice stuff.... my screen is a DIY painted just tested it last night at 720p for the first time amazing picture. I wish someone would tell me how to put pics in my post...
                                                                                      Brac

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                        • Dec 2000
                                                                                        • 16877

#44
                                                                                        Thanks, brac. For pictures, use the format of [ IMG ]http://pictureURL[ /IMG ] Just remove the spaces between the brackets and "IMG". You can also just use the picture icon you'll find right above the text box for replies, for easy formatting.
                                                                                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                          • Dec 2000
                                                                                          • 16877

#45
                                                                                          Okay, guys, more pictures coming. Full-size versions in THIS THREAD HERE.

Name:	Screen 1b.jpg
Views:	4830
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	845034

Name:	Rear 1b.jpg
Views:	3088
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	845035

Name:	Rear 2b.jpg
Views:	3142
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	845036

Name:	Rear 3b.jpg
Views:	4362
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	845037

Name:	Screen 1b.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	929399

Enjoy the pics. More to come!!!
                                                                                          Last edited by theSven; 10 March 2023, 17:06 Friday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          😀
                                                                                          😂
                                                                                          🥰
                                                                                          😘
                                                                                          🤢
                                                                                          😎
                                                                                          😞
                                                                                          😡
                                                                                          👍
                                                                                          👎
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"