X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rescueswimmer
    • Jul 2008

Floor plan advice # 2

i found you guys while trying to figure out the best way to design my HT room
    I have enclosed a copy of my unfinished basement. Im asking for some suggestions on room sizes and location I was thinking around an 80" diag screen maybe a little bigger I wanted to keep the room around 12-19' x 8-10' x 8', any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Granted I have a lot of space but if I want to stay married I can't just put it any were. I still can more a window if need be as well. Thanks in advance

im looking at a projector
    6.1 or 7.1 surround

RS

• wettou
    Ultra Senior Member
    • May 2006

If you can design a room within a room with no parallel surfaces you will get rid of a lot of unwanted sound waves. Also I would use the biggest screen that your space allows. I just upgraded my screen to a 10 feet wide (128" 2.35 aspect ratio and it is awesome. Movies are unreal especially Blu Ray. The draw back is for DVD you need to sit further otherwise picture quality decreases substantially.

I you like movies, projection is the way to go you can't get a 128" plasma in 2.35 aspect ratio. The JVC DLA RS2 gives the best picture I have ever seen and better than many other projectors costing three times as much.

Have fun
    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• rescueswimmer
      • Jul 2008

thanks for the reply.

I am using a Blu ray play. I was reading things that If you go any bigger than 80" diag you need the room to be longer than 14 ft. Is this true. I would like to keep the room under 15 feet if possible.

Comment

• sokoban
        • Apr 2006

The Cardas Room set up guide and a viewing distance calculator are two good guides to help you place your display and speakers as well as helping you lay out your room. What I would probably do is use the cardas guide at first to determine the best dimensions for your room. Then, use the cardas guide to place your front two speakers and listening/viewing position. From there, you can measure the distance from your viewing position to each of the two main speakers. The Center speaker will go that distance from your viewing position, but between the two main speakers, so it will be set back slightly from the main speakers. Your surround speakers can be placed as determined by the Dolby or THX standard placements at a set angle from your listening position.

Cardas room guide:
        The Cardas Speaker Placement Guide. Setting up speakers in a golden ratio, golden cuboid, golden trapagon room, etc.. Speaker placement calculators.

Viewing Distance Calculator:

THX speaker setup guide:

Dolby Speaker setup guide:

Comment

• rescueswimmer
          • Jul 2008

Thanks for the links.

I have one last question. Do you guys have a link on the optimal distance from the speakers you should be. I guess the front is obvious with them being beside the screen and using the viewing distance calculator but what about the 2 side and rear surrounds. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks again.

I

Comment

• John Holmes
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by rescueswimmer
            Thanks for the links.

I have one last question. Do you guys have a link on the optimal distance from the speakers you should be. I guess the front is obvious with them being beside the screen and using the viewing distance calculator but what about the 2 side and rear surrounds. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks again.

I
            Ideally, equidistance for all speakers. That is very tough to do, even in a dedicated custom HT build. Get them the best you can, then measure the distance to your speakers. Place the mesurements in the speaker delay field on your pre/pro or receiver. That should do it.
            "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• John Holmes
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

And Welcome to the Guide, rescueswimmer!
              "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"