This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jon SS
    • Oct 2002

What SD-DVD player for my Halo system - moving it all to a dedicated HT Room

I am setting up an HT system in the basement currently have in my family room a 720p JVC LCOS TV, Pioneer Elite DV-59avi dvd player and Halo C2/A51 sytem.

I plan on moving the Halo C1/A51 system to the basement (adding the A23 for 7.1) and use a PS3 as my blu-ray player. I will either buy the Pioneer 6020 or Panansoni 58V10 plasma.

Deciding what to do with the DVD player, should I use the Pioneer Elite DV-59avi in the basement and buy either a second hand Oppo dv-980H / DV981HD or Pioneer DV-420V for the family room or vice versa?

Any recommendation. I have read through countless posts and reviews trying to compare the Pioneer Elite DV-59avi (which I really like) to the Oppo DV-980H and DV-981HD and also the Pioneer DV-420V.

The family room is mainly used for the wife and kids, so I would like the better DVD player in the basement HT room. Leaning towards buying the Pioneer DV-420V for the family room as it is the cheapest route but thought if the Oppo DV-980H and DV-981HD is better than the Pioneer Elite DV-59avi then might sway to Oppo.

Not much happening in the Halo thread so thought I would add some action by asking here

Thanks!
  • Hammie
    • Oct 2005

Well, the Oppos have been rated as some of the best upconverting players. Any reason you are not looking at BD players? The Oppo BDP-83 will be the best at upconverting SD-DVD's and gets you ready for the big jump into BD. They can be had for $499 right now.
    Panasonic TC-P65VT30
    Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
    Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
    Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
    B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
    Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
    My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
    Next Upgrade: Cables

Comment

• Jon SS
      • Oct 2002

I was going to get the oppo bd player and use for both vd and dvd but then got the ps3 for games and bd for use in the new ht room. Don't know if I wanted to get another bd player for the family room yet.

Comment

• kmcheng
        • Jan 2008

The PS3 has decent up-converting capabilities, so there is no reason not to use it as your SD DVD player.

I say get the Oppo 83 or nothing. Sooner or later you will "need" a BD player in the family room. You may also decide to move the PS3 to the family room and need a BD player in the HT room.

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Agreed, there's no reason nowadays not to get a SD-DVD upconverting player that also does other stuff, whether it's Blu-Ray, universal player, PS3 gaming, or a mixture of the above. If you already have a PS3 and don't want to spend any more money, that will be just fine for you.

Otherwise, if you want a 2nd dedicated player, I'd probably go for the brand new Oppo. Got lots of people pleased right now.

Who knows if we'll ever get the Halo BD-1, but that'd be cool!
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"