X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anton
    • Oct 2004

New House...New Theatre

My wife and I moved into our new house last week. Finally into a bigger house with a bigger lounge room. My system now has a much bigger space to play with.

I picked up some new gear too. A new Denon DVD-1930, HDMI cable and a couple Aaron in-ceiling IC-120ang (with angled tweeter) for my rears. Firstly the 1930 is great, finally watching a DVD in HD is mind blowing. I tested Toy Story 2 and Saving Private Ryan first off. The PQ was fantastic. I'll never go back to SD...ever. I never thought it could be that good.

I've been able to really open my system up in the 5m x 7m space. The tiled floor does cause the system to sound bright and brash but a quick trip for a rug and heavy curtins for the windows will clear most of that up.

I love my system more then ever.
    Last edited by Anton; 24 January 2007, 06:44 Wednesday.
    Canadian heart, Aussie home!
  • KeithM
    • Oct 2005

It's amazing how much difference a room can make.

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

:banana: sounds like some congratulations are in order!
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• John Holmes
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Congrats on the new house and listening enviorment. :T
        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Anton
          • Oct 2004

Thanks fellas!

More pics...

Rear of STB's

Rear of 1930

Rear of 2805

Comment

• Danbry39
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Sep 2002

Anton, where'd you get the shelf to hold your center channel? How much weight can it hold? I'm in need of something just like that at the moment, but I have a pretty big center channel (about 56 pounds). Do you think your shelf would work with that?

Thanks
            Keith

Comment

• Anton
              • Oct 2004

I picked-up that shelf bracket from my local Bunnings Hardware (Australias Home Depot). It's rated to 12kg (26.5lbs) so your 25kg (56lbs) centre will probubly be too much for it. Ikea has a model similar to the one I have but its way too light weight.
              But that doesn't mean that it can't work. I decided that the wall anchors weren't nearly strong enough to hold the centre and I figured the steel sub frame that shelf slides over was strong enough. So, I drilled out the mounting holes of the steel sub frame and fixed it directly to the studs with large lag bolts. I was luck enough that I could find two studs for mounting. The weakest link of that type of shelf is the bracket to wall fixing, if you just use wall anchors it's just not strong enough.
              If you can't find an "off the shelf solution" (ha ha) Hafele have a system for invisible shelf fastening, link to Hafele Catolouge:http://www.hafele.com.au/isapi/online/tchff/tchff.asp go to page 409.
              The part numbers are all the same world wide if you want to hunt a pair down. There is a graph on the page with the relation between shelf support distance apart an weight. I'd expect that you could special order a pair from Home Depot (or similar) if you were going to go down that custom shelf path.

I hope this helps

Comment

• Danbry39
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Sep 2002

Thanks, my friend, that helps more than you know. Believe it or not, my wife is the carpenter of our household. She looked at your shelf very admiringly and started reeling off all these means of securely attaching shelves to walls. She very much appreciated, as do I, the link.

Think we'll take a ride to home depot this weekend.

Thanks again.
                Keith

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"