X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tbaker
    • Jan 2006

Rotel Equipment Advice for new Theatre Room

I'm a newbee here and this is my first post. Since I am primary considering Rotel gear, I hope I'm posting this in the right place.

I need some advice for you professionals / experts out there. I’m in a bit of a jam. Not that I need to rush this but my theatre is being installed this Thursday, Jan 19th. I desperately need some help on the main A/V component. I’ve bounced all over the board but I’m leaning toward Rotel gear. Here’s some background on my existing and soon-to-be-installed equipment and the room:

Dedicated Theatre / Game Room:
    I had the room constructed 6 years ago for the theatre but never got around to putting the desired video portion in. Audio was done when the room was constructed.
    The room measures 15’ x 20’ but has clipped walls on three sides since it sits above my garage and follows the roofline. The three clipped walls are about 5’ high and then angle into the room at about a 30 degree angle to an 8’ ceiling.
    Dark purple walls; no windows; Lutron controlled lighting (6 can lights around the perimeter of the ceiling)
    Couch on the back wall; two club chairs on side walls in front of couch
    Eyeballs to screen from back couch approximately 15’

Video:
    Vidikron Vision 12 HDTV Front projector (brand new model) 1280 x 768 widescreen native 16:9 resolution. Throw distance approximately 11.5 feet to the screen – as close as it could be and still get in the size screen I wanted thanks to a very short throw specification on this projector.
    Draper Targa 116021 106” HDTV motorized screen with black case 52” x 92” viewing area

Speakers:
    Klipsch Cornwall CWO15 front mains (over 20 years old) Sensitivity 98.5 db @ 1 watt / 1 meter; 36” H / 25.5” wide / 15.5” deep; 108 lbs. Power handling 105 watts max continuous (1,000 watts peak)
    Klipsch KLF-C7 Center Channel Legend Series Speaker (1999 model) Sensitivity 99 db @ 1 watt / 1 meter; 11” H / 27.25” wide / 17” deep; 39 lbs.; Power handling 150 watts max continuous (600 watts peak)
    Klipsch KSP-S6 Synergy Series Premier Rear Bi-polar Surrounds (1999 model) Sensitivity 94 db @ 1 watt / 1 meter; 15.5” H / 13.5” wide / 7.5” deep; 24 lbs.; Power handling 150 watts max continuous (600 watts peak)
    Miller & Kreisel M&K V125 Sub (1999 model) 125 watts

Other equipment:
    DirecTV High Definition satellite box
    Monster Cable HTS 3500 MKII Surge Protector / Conditioner
    Elan Four Zone IR combiner / receiver / emitter
    Omni Mount G304 Black / Glass four shelf audio rack in the back of the room

This is pretty much a destination room for movies and the system will be used 99% for A/V as opposed to music listening and most of the time it will be used for my kids animated movies (Shrek, Nemo, etc.). The original budget of $5K excluding speakers is going to be significantly over-run but as long as I upgrade from my original plan, I don’t have a problem with it. Looks like it will be closer to $10K or so, maybe a little more, excluding speakers and room build-out which was already done. Finally, I will be running 5.1 channels of audio.

Background:
    I started out looking at moderately priced receivers ($500 - $700) but was concerned about the lack of power even with the efficiency of the Klipsch speakers. I then looked at the Denon 3806 receiver but wanted something different from what you see in every big box store electronics store. I looked at the NAD T763 in the same $1,300 - $1,400 price range. However, I have read quite a bit of less than stellar comments from NAD owners about their products. Next was Outlaw Audio with their new 970 pre/pro with the 7075 seven channel amp rated at 75 watts per channel for $1,299 ($699 each or $100 off for the combo purchase). For the same price of a decent receiver, I could go to separates. Then I thought about going up to either the Outlaw 7125 at 125watts X 7 for $999 or the Outlaw 755 at 200 watts X 5 for $1,299. I really liked the looks and price point of Outlaw but after reading and going to look at Rotel at a local dealer, I think I’m hooked. I REALLY like the serious industrial look of Rotel. I started at the RSX-1056 receiver at 75 watts X 5 but saw the big brother, the RSX-1067 at 100 watts X 7 and it was great. It appears that I can get 10% off the list prices for everything except the Outlaw. Now I’m stumped. I will be willing to pay more for Rotel since 1) I can buy it locally and have someone to take it back if there is a problem, and 2) I just simply like to looks of this equipment.

Please give me some opinions on what you would do at the following price points: $1,200 - $1,500; $2,000; and $2,500. An extra grand won’t cause me too much pain either way since I want something to last me longer than my last Sony ES A/V receiver. I really like staying with one brand of equipment if possible but it appears everyone mixes it up. I would probably go with a RMB1075 120 watt X 5 channel amp for $1,000 but the matching Rotel 1068 processor is $1,700 (ouch). The Outlaw 970 pre-pro is priced extremely low at $699 but I’m sure I’m giving up something. I have read that some guys are using the RSX-1056 as the pre/pro with either the 1075 or 1095 amps. That seems like a more cost effective way ($2,300 list for the 1056/1075 combo) than the $2,700 for the 1068 at $1,700 and the 1075 at $1,000. Again, there must be something that gives.

So is it an NAD, Outlaw or Rotel A/V receiver; matched brand separates; mixed brand separates; or something else? Sorry for the extremely long post. Thanks in advance for any advice.
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

If you can afford it, the 1068/1075 or 1095 would be a great combination for both HT and Music listening.... The 1056 is good, but I like the abilities/quality of the 1068 much better than the 1056.

Granted I went with the 1098 because I liked the sound of that even more with my 1095/1080s.

Either route you go, I think you'll be extremely happy with!!! I just think for HT viewing the 1068 has a little something over the 1056...probably even for music listening as well.
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• grit
      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by PewterTA
      If you can afford it, the 1068/1075 or 1095 would be a great combination for both HT and Music listening.... The 1056 is good, but I like the abilities/quality of the 1068 much better than the 1056.

Granted I went with the 1098 because I liked the sound of that even more with my 1095/1080s.

Either route you go, I think you'll be extremely happy with!!! I just think for HT viewing the 1068 has a little something over the 1056...probably even for music listening as well.
      Ditto. That's all I got. Ditto. You won't regret it.

Comment

• Tbaker
        • Jan 2006

Thanks for the input. Please keep it coming. I just sold my Acura NSX so this HT thing is now my main vice. :B

So the recommendation since I'm going five channel is 1068 / 1075 with 120 watts x 5 and seperates for $2,700 list as opposed to the RSX-1067 at 100 X 7 for $2,200? Looks like I'm picking up 20 watts X 5; losing the other two channels of audio that I don't plan on using anyway, and spending an additional $500. Is this a good value proposition?

What about coupling a 1075 ($1,000)with the Outlaw 970 for $699? If I did that, I'd save a grand. Will I hear a $1,000 difference in these two pre/pros?

Finally, what is the right amount of power you experts out there recommend with my speaker sensitivities?

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"