new theatre room, B&W 603s3 compliment or replace???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tmagl
    • Jun 2012

new theatre room, B&W 603s3 compliment or replace???

Hi all new to this thread but have some questions I am hoping someone can assist me with,

I am setting my home theatre back up and am unsure of which direction to head, i currently have B&W 603s3 for mains and the lcr60s3 centre, i enjoy my 603s but am unsure if they are powerful enough for the bigger room 6mx4m and also I would be looking at buying the current 686s for my rear speakers, they will be running off an AVR

my concerns are

Would the newer 686s blend well with the old 603s?
    would this set up be effective enough in a room 6mx4m

Or am I better off selling / trading in the 603s & lcr60 and upgrading them all?

Thanks
  • stuofsci02
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2009

Do you use a sub or subs?
    Main System:
    B&W 801D
    Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
    Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
    Oppo BDP-105
    Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
    B&W CM7
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva UPA-2
    Oppo BDP-83SE
    Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• tmagl
      • Jun 2012

no sub yet will be gettin one after i sort out the rest of the system

Comment

• stuofsci02
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2009

Originally posted by tmagl
        no sub yet will be gettin one after i sort out the rest of the system
        If you are adding a sub or subs (I much prefer them in pairs) then I think you will be just fine with your 603S3 for HT since you will cross these over above 60Hz anyways (and probably more like 80Hz).

I think where you will suffer is with your current center channel. The center channel is the anchor of a good HT system, and IMO none of the old 600 series or new 600 series are very good because of the inherent flaws of a MTM design. I used to own the HTM61 which is the top of the line 600 series center and it was dreadful. If you are going to spend money and HT is your priority, this is where I would go first.. The lowest B&W center that IMO is decent is the CMC2 and that is because of the tweeter/mid vertical arrangement and to a certain extent separate bass drivers.

As far as using 686 for rears, I think you will be fine, but why not look for some used 600/601/602 S3 to match what you have? They are always popping up used. Will save you some coin too..

I have owned most of the S3 series of 600 speakers (including the 603 S3) and a lot of the new 600 series too. With the exception of the center channels, I think they do well for HT.

Cheers,

Stuart
        Main System:
        B&W 801D
        Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
        Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
        Oppo BDP-105
        Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
        B&W CM7
        Emotiva UMC-1
        Emotiva UPA-2
        Oppo BDP-83SE
        Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• madmac
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2010

Originally posted by stuofsci02
          If you are adding a sub or subs (I much prefer them in pairs) then I think you will be just fine with your 603S3 for HT since you will cross these over above 60Hz anyways (and probably more like 80Hz).

I think where you will suffer is with your current center channel. The center channel is the anchor of a good HT system, and IMO none of the old 600 series or new 600 series are very good because of the inherent flaws of a MTM design. I used to own the HTM61 which is the top of the line 600 series center and it was dreadful. If you are going to spend money and HT is your priority, this is where I would go first.. The lowest B&W center that IMO is decent is the CMC2 and that is because of the tweeter/mid vertical arrangement and to a certain extent separate bass drivers.

As far as using 686 for rears, I think you will be fine, but why not look for some used 600/601/602 S3 to match what you have? They are always popping up used. Will save you some coin too..

I have owned most of the S3 series of 600 speakers (including the 603 S3) and a lot of the new 600 series too. With the exception of the center channels, I think they do well for HT.

Cheers,

Stuart

Agreed!! Get the biggest and best center channel speaker that you can afford!. :T
          Dan Madden :T

Comment

• tmagl
            • Jun 2012

Excellent, im going to visit a few stores on the weekend and. Will look at the CMC2,

Thanks for the advice

Comment

• baranowski
              • May 2012

Are you just looking for home theater or for two channel sound as well?
              I run B&W's as well. To me honest the older CDM or even the 700 series can be had pretty cheap...depending on what you determine as cheap. If you look around you can even find some great deals on the older 800 series.... That being said, I have personally found that a seperate good amp was the biggest difference in my system, if you start to move up the series you will have to look into those as an added cost.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"