X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RNKC
    • Jun 2005

Poll - Home Theatre or Stereo?

My local B&W dealer (Brack Electronics in Toronto) recently moved to a new location. In doing so it seems they've moved not only physical location but also selling philosophy. Gone are the traditional listening rooms with stacks of mouth-watering and wallet-depleting equipment. Instead the whole store is centred on the concept of custom installs from home theatre to wiring up your living room, dining room, kitchen ... It's all about how you can automate your home and have great sound coming from hidden speakers. You never see an amp or a pre amp or a speaker wire or ... all you get is wonderful sound coming from seemingly nowhere.

They still sell B&W of course, but the application is much more home theatre (7.1 surround). I didn't see a single audio shelf (Bell'O etc) nor did I see displays of high-end interconnects & speaker wire. It's as though they no longer expect to sell people a system that will be setup in the living room / listening room.

So how many of you are into "non-traditional" setups now? Have we in fact moved away from the living room to the home theatre and are we now poised to go beyond that?

How and where do you do your listening?
    I have a separate sudio setup where I do most of my listening.
    26.32%
    I get my stereo listing pleasure from a system that can also do surround.
    66.67%
    I mainly do home theatre / multichannel listening.
    7.02%
    My home is / will be automated and you'll never see speakers, amps etc anywhere.
    0.00%
  • wgriel
    • May 2006

I have a bit of a hard time voting because I have a stereo setup in my living room (703s) and a 5.1 home theater in a dedicated room (all Paradigm speakers). I do most of my listening in the living room though (stereo).

Bill

Comment

• Briz vegas
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

I voted 1 because I have dedicated 2 channel, it just happens to be in integrated with my HT components via a pre-amp with HT bypass.

WAF is a major factor for many, but I think anyone who wants the best possible audio quality will have speakers and rack of gear dominating their listening room. Invisible gear is ok for the rest of the house or maybe for some HT setups, but to my knowledge you don't get the best possible sound from an inwall installation - thats mainstream thinking, not audio first thinking.
      Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
      Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• bigburner
        Super Senior Member
        • May 2005

If you put in a fifth option that says "I get my listening pleasure from a stereo system that lives in my sitting room" then I'll vote, or is that what you mean by option 1?

Comment

• Luke Skywalker
          • Apr 2007

I have two separate systems, 2.0 and 5.1, in separate rooms.
          :T
          "Luke Skywalker Experience"

"Luke Skywalker photos"

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI,
            Though I voted in your poll the options do not cover my situation. I have separate 2 channel and HT systems. I listen to both about equally. Obviously I don't listen to HT on my stereo system. However, I have a fairly good stereo capability built into my HT system. Mostly it is used for background music.

Sparky

Comment

• Cambs12
              • Jul 2006

I have two systems,2 channel,and 5.1.I listen mainly to 2 channel,and this is the area where i will always spend the majority of my budget.Shame about your dealer,they should be able to focus on both areas...

Comment

• Russ L
                • Jul 2006

My 2 channel capability in my 5.1 system is being upgraded as I realize that 2 channel is more important to my taste. Recently added dedicated CD player for $1799 instead of using DVD/CD Universal player. Am next looking to upgrade 2 front channel speakers to a different series than rest of home theater. Not concerned if audio matches exactly between speakers as its only a DVD and hopefully won't bother me too much if at all. -Russ
                Russ

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"