X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Snap
    Super Senior Member
    • Feb 2005

Plasma Screen /Cooling Issues

I thought that this should be in the mission possible area due to the complications of the issue.

Overview: Plasma Cooling Issue

The framers kind of messed up on some things in my new house.

I have 20-foot ceilings in my living room in my new house. The fireplace section is only 15 foot high with crown going around the top.

AV cooling fans will sit on top of this high shelf to vent
    a) The AV rack to the left of the fireplace in closed cabinets.
    b) The plasma that is framed out right above the fireplace.

Here are the problems.

I asked for and gave them the figures to frame out for my plasma, which after sheet rock SHOULD have left me 2.5 inches all the way around the plasma. They got the depth right but not the width and height! So now I am left with 7/8 all the way around the plasma. Not really to big of a deal except for the wife wanted it the other way, and cooling is now going to be even harder.

To make matters worse they put my cooling ductwork at the BOTTOM left of the frame out. (Heat rises... was told to place it top center!) I am thinking that the 1 fan and all the other factors might make this not work as far as cooling is concerned.

I was thinking of drilling (4) 2.5-inch holes from the top of the fireplace area. (Behind the crown on top) to the plasma frame out area. This would give me 4 vents that the heat could just rise out the holes to the top, and into the rest of the living room. That combined with the cooling fan and the 4-inch duct should be enough to make it work.

Any ideas? Thoughts?

I am attaching a drawing that I made to try and show what I am talking about. I will attach some pictures of the house on Thurs when I go and take them.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files
    The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.
  • seattle_ice
    • Jun 2006

What is the depth of the alcove? And how deep is the Plasma?
    If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy!
    How to build a theater in 1,110,993 easy steps

Comment

• slayer
      • Dec 2005

If you hired these guys to do the job and you gave them the specs to build it how you wanted, make them do it right. Why let them off the hook? Make them fix it the right way.
      Parasound Halo C2
      Earthquake Cinenova Grande (5ch amp)
      Crown X1000 (2ch amp)
      Oppo BDP103
      Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 Tube DAC
      Xbox One
      Monster Cable Signiture Series HTPS 7000
      Panasonic 60" ST Series Plasma
      BenQ HT1075 projector w/ 92" Dragonfly screen
      Energy Veritas 2.2i fronts
      Energy Veritas 2.0i center
      CAT Tiburon series side surround
      Energy E-XL 15 rear surround
      Velodyne SMS-1
      Custom 15" sealed sub (Diamond Audio TDX15)

Comment

• seattle_ice
        • Jun 2006

Originally posted by slayer
        If you hired these guys to do the job and you gave them the specs to build it how you wanted, make them do it right. Why let them off the hook? Make them fix it the right way.
        Good point. As a custom home builder, if something in the finished product did not match up with the specs that were submitted, we would have fixed it on the spot.
        If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy!
        How to build a theater in 1,110,993 easy steps

Comment

• Audiophiliac
          • Apr 2006

7/8" on each side and top and bottom? What bracket did you use?
          I have done similar installs with no ventilation and had no problems (crosses fingers).

But if the vent is already behind the TV, it should be hard to move it to where it needs to go. Even if you have to have another "skin" made for the back of the opening. Easy fix it seems....one that the builder should take responsibility for.

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

Unless you're stuck with an 8 year old plasma I don't even seen why you are going through all this anyway. We've stuck a slew of plasmas in Vision-Art frames, basically a ressed steel box with a frame covering all the edges with no issues what-so-ever.

You're biggest issue right now is finding a mount that lets you slide the TV on with only 7/8" of height.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Snap
              Super Senior Member
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Audiophiliac
              7/8" on each side and top and bottom? What bracket did you use?
              I have done similar installs with no ventilation and had no problems (crosses fingers).

But if the vent is already behind the TV, it should be hard to move it to where it needs to go. Even if you have to have another "skin" made for the back of the opening. Easy fix it seems....one that the builder should take responsibility for.
              I have done installations with 2 inches all the way around, but this the first one that is so tight, and with the vent being at the bottom left I wanted to make sure that it was not going to be a problem.

The problem with making the builder change it is kind of complicated. The Master Builder is the builder that I do all his audio and video in all his homes. Plus he is my biggest builder that I work with. He is also giving me a HECK of a deal on this home. Add to that all the changes that the wife is making that he is NOT charging us for........ arches insted of cased openings, more trim here, there, every where, and he knocked out 2 walls all together for us to make a piano room. So he politly asked me if I could make it work the way it is. I said yes. So I am stuck with the frame out the way it is.

The TV that I have slated for the slot is the LG 50PC1DRA. I am now going to use the Peerless mount that allows me to pull the TV in and out of the slot. (Attached is the mount).

The depth of the slot is 9 inch. The TV is only 4.5 inch, the mount is another 2.5. That will allow me to tilt the TV down a bit and still not come out further than the wall.

I am not sure what you mean Audiophiliac about bracket? All I did was take the TV measurments, and then add for sheet rock, and tell the builder. He then framed it out for me. I thought the numbers were right on, one of the things that might have happened was maybe they used a different size sheet rock for that area? I did see one sheet of scrap that was the 1/2 in stuff.

So from what I gather from you all is that drilling the vents from the top down into the plasma slot is not needed?

I will be at my house today and I got the camera I will take pictures then and show you.
              Attached Files

Comment

• eddiem67
                • Jun 2004

you should be ok bro, heat will still escape even from a 7/8" opening, if you were installing it behind glass or something that completely encloses it, then I would have a concern. you can always pull the tv away from the wall a little when your watching and just push it back in when your not.
                My Car Audio

Comment

• Snap
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Feb 2005

Thanks guys... I just talked to the builder yesterday, and he is also going to pop 6 2.5 inch vent holes in the top so that I can get some extra venting as well! You will not see the holes as the plasma will be covering the view of them. So with the 7/8 around the sides, and the vent fan/ and vent holes in the top I should be ok.

Eddie, long time no hear! Glad to see you weighing in on this one!

Thanks ya'll

Comment

• Arneson
                    • Jan 2006

Just wondered if you'll have fire going while watching TV?

That whole part of the house could get kind of toasty.
                    Jim

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"