X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • markjrho
    • Sep 2005

Plasma Installation Question

Hi all, I am looking into the the purchase of a plasma T.V., and I am thinking about installing it above a non-working fireplace. However, the surface of that area is all brick. Will this pose a problem for an installer? I'm thinking that running wires behind the brick is out of the question, so I'm willing to live with the HDMI cable exposed. But is mounting the plasma T.V. on the brick wall going to be a problem?
  • littlesaint
    • Jul 2007

I just installed a 50" plasma on my parents fireplace. As long as you use the right hardware, it should be fine.
    Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• markjrho
      • Sep 2005

Good to know, Littlesaint. thanks a lot. Another question, what wallmount did you decided on? I guess I can install this myself, since Im not running any wires, huh?

Comment

• littlesaint
        • Jul 2007

I believe it was a Sanus tilting mount. Pretty standard, rated to something like 130 pounds. It wasn't hard to do at all. We did not conceal any cabling, but there's enough subterfuge on the mantle that you don't really notice. I'd recommend a hammer drill and some tapcons or equivalent masonry screws with the right drill bit. The mount came only with wood screws.
        Santino

Comment

• wettou
          Ultra Senior Member
          • May 2006

That is why I am looking forward to the new LG 1/3 inch thick panel :B
          Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Kevin P
            • Aug 2000

My plasma is mounted over a fireplace. I used a standard wall bracket and masonry bolts. That sucker ain't goin' anywhere!!

Comment

• markjrho
              • Sep 2005

Cool! Thanks for the advice and tips, Littlesaint and Kevin P. Once the set comes in, I will get right down to Home Depot for those masonry screws. I've already got masonry bits.

Comment

• littlesaint
                • Jul 2007

Just make sure you use the right size bit and depth for the screws you're using.
                Santino

Comment

• Kevin P
                  • Aug 2000

BTW, the kind I used are the ones where the bolt screws into an anchor which expands in the hole when it's tightened down. So, you drill the hole, install the anchor, tighten down the bolt to lock the anchor, then remove the bolt and then (after installing all the anchors) install the TV bracket, using the bolts to fasten the bracket.

Comment

• markjrho
                    • Sep 2005

Got it Littlesaint. Shouldn't be a problem as I've got plenty of bits. Kev, are you talking about the plastic anchors that go into the wall and expand? If so, I will look for that type. If not, can you offer a little more explanation. thanks

Comment

• rdram
                      • Mar 2005

Ditto on what's been said on the brick. Did my 54" plasma on brick last month. As far as the anchors, you want a lag anchor...something like these. I'd stay away from plastic.

Purchase the premium CONFAST® Lag Shields direct and save. Every size of CONFAST® Lag Shield Anchors are in stock; all freight is free.

The mount I got was a Sanus LL22B...it comes with all the anchors you'll need for wood or masonary. It's a pretty neat mount, with adjustments in the horizontal, so you can get your display perfectly level. All I needed was a 1/2" masonary drill bit. Of course, you'll have to get a mount that your display will fit on...I was just showing this as an example. I would assume that some other mounts might come with all the hardware you'll need.

Buy the Sanus Low Profile Flat Wall Mount For 37" - 90" Flat-Panel TV's - LL22 at buydig.com, and receive fast, free shipping and a flexible return policy.

Good luck.

Rich

Comment

• markjrho
                        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by rdram
                        Ditto on what's been said on the brick. Did my 54" plasma on brick last month. As far as the anchors, you want a lag anchor...something like these. I'd stay away from plastic.

Purchase the premium CONFAST® Lag Shields direct and save. Every size of CONFAST® Lag Shield Anchors are in stock; all freight is free.

The mount I got was a Sanus LL22B...it comes with all the anchors you'll need for wood or masonary. It's a pretty neat mount, with adjustments in the horizontal, so you can get your display perfectly level. All I needed was a 1/2" masonary drill bit. Of course, you'll have to get a mount that your display will fit on...I was just showing this as an example. I would assume that some other mounts might come with all the hardware you'll need.

Buy the Sanus Low Profile Flat Wall Mount For 37" - 90" Flat-Panel TV's - LL22 at buydig.com, and receive fast, free shipping and a flexible return policy.

Good luck.

Rich

Thanks, I have seen those before. And it just so happens that I am looking at a Panny 54", so thanks for the tip on the Sanus. :T

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"