X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CougarCruiser
    • Sep 2005

42'' Plasma or DLP in new home construction

I am in the middle of having a new house built. My builder offers 2 options in the 'family room" -- room right off the kitchen. They can either put a TV "cubby" above the gas fireplace or leave the space blank and filled in for a 42'' plasma tv. If I go cubby, it will be big enough for a 42'' DLP TV.

What's the general consenus? I've heard that the gas fireplace's radiant heat can damage a plasma fairly quickly.... BUT, I love the look and ease of the plasma....

The new 1080 chip in the DLP's should be out in a 42'' by the time I need to do this...

Cost is not so much a factor. Me, being a newbie, but appreciating good quality product --> is probably a factor.

The TV will be hooked up with a CableCard from Comcast for my HD and cable signals and I will probably run my Sony ES-3000 receiver with my ES DVD player via component Video to the TV and the Cable Audio signal to the receiver via optical. Speakers and Surround sound will have to live in the ceiling -- probably Boston Acoustic DSI495's for 7.1 sound...

Thoughts? Advice is definitely needed here...

So far I'm looking at Samsung, Toshiba, and Sony Tv's to work with... All have given me great quality in the past.

Thanks!
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hi Justin, welcome to The Guide. :welcome:

I've been looking at new plasmas and DLPs myself and have just about decided to go with a 50" Samsung - the HP-R5072 - just because the picture is so spectacular. I'm not a big videogamer so burn-in from that isn't really an issue, and I like the deeper blacks that the plasma produces over the DLP. I'm not sure about the heat being an issue for you - especially if the fireplace is damped properly and airflow is unimpeded - but I'd sure run it by a couple of good technicians before proceeding. Also, you could put a nice deep mantle above the FP opening to act as a bit of a heat shield.

Two questions though:

Are you susceptible to the "rainbow effect" that some people see on DLPs? Do you plan on gaming on the TV much?

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Best advice would be to go look at them in store and compare the two techs with your own eyes

If you go plasma, get a Panasonic (least expensive but still great picture), Pioneer (more expensive but even better picture) or Fujitsu (Most expensive, best picture).

I haven't compared the different brand DLP's too closely but they should all be pretty good.

Which ever display you get, make sure you properly calibrate it with AVIA or Digital Video Essentials :T
      Jason

Comment

• Shane Martin
        Super Senior Member
        • Apr 2001

Having recently calibrated and seen a 1080P DLP, I personally prefer the Plasma(Panasonic or Pioneer). MANY people put their plasma over a fireplace(the most comman install I'd bet) so I wouldn't worry there.

Comment

• CougarCruiser
          • Sep 2005

So from what I'm hearing, the plasma will give me better 'blacks' and no 'rainbow effect'.

Also, a solid choice for plasma is Panasonic? I'll definitely look into those units... Are they consistantly better than the Samsung, Toshiba, and Sony plasma units?

Comment

• Shane Martin
            Super Senior Member
            • Apr 2001

IMHO yes. The best Plasma sets are: Panasonic, Pioneer, Fujitsu in that order with Fujitsu being the king and most $$$. Panasonic and Pioneer are pretty close to one another with the Pioneer being a brighter overall display with a better scaler if that's important.

The one negative of course to a Plasma is the potential for burn in. Not really an issue but you want to calibrate your plasma out of the box and keep the contrast low on it. It really is a non-issue unless you watch news all day long.

Comment

• CougarCruiser
              • Sep 2005

Thanks for all the feedback guys... I'll definitely be looking into the Panasonic's...

The TV will be used for low key home theater... regular evening TV watching with the wife... no 24hour news broadcasts... probably more like The OC and The Apprentice. =)

I just need a good solution for day to day use. No gaming planned for this TV as that is what the "bonus room" aka "HT Room" will be used for.

I promised I'd get the "family room" set up before I started on the HT room... I already have a solid foundation -- Sony ES-3000 and DVD player. I just need a TV selection and some in ceiling speaker selections...

Thanks,
              Justin

Comment

• Shane Martin
                Super Senior Member
                • Apr 2001

Cougar,
                Something you might have to consider is the color of the plasma. Some wives go ape over this type of thing. The Pioneers look alot better unless you get the commercial plasma from Panasonic and lose some functionality like the external speakers(cable card etc). I would hesitate to use a cable card anyway due to their issues. Some just flat don't work well and they aren't 2 way so you are dependent on the usually craptacular internal guide built into these plasmas.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"